Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11911
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which camera" Previous topic | Next topic
sac3848 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2007Mon 12-Sep-11 02:28 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which camera"

jacksonville Beach, US

We are going to Ireland soon and I have a D3s . Was considering an Olympus Dp3 but thought since I had the lenses that I might consider a 7000 and bring my 24-70 and 70-200. I realize there are weight and size differences but I have a small backpack and we are renting a car so I don't think that's a big deal. Am also concerned about the D3s being stolden,but maybe I'm being over cautious Sorry if this is dumb post Just wanted some input. Am also lusting for the D700 replacement and could wait.
Thanks for listening

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which camera
Floridian Silver Member
12th Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Sep 2011
sac3848 Silver Member
12th Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Sep 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
12th Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Sep 2011
billD80 Silver Member
12th Sep 2011
Clint S Silver Member
18th Sep 2011

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Mon 12-Sep-11 03:19 AM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

If you're bringing the 24-70 and 70-200 you wouldn't save much weight with a D7000, so my thought is to just bring the D3s you already have, along with the lenses you already have. You say the weight and size is not a big deal, and the camera and lenses you already have are top-quality, so why take a step down?

Personally, I'd prefer to go lighter, but the other options you listed aren't really lighter (except, perhaps, the Olympus Dp3: I don't know what that is).

Randy

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 12-Sep-11 01:59 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which camera"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 12-Sep-11 02:09 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I've been to Ireland, lots of beautiful Panoramas.
Have you considered insuring your D3s?
Maybe your HomeOwners Policy already does.

That is the camera I would take if I had one.
FullFrame is best for landscapes.
High ISO is best for inside buildings.
With the D3s, I would take my AF-S Nikkors 14-24, and 28-300.
I would leave my 17-35, 28-70, 80-200, and 80-400 at home, but
you could bring your 24-70 and 70-200 + something wider for landscapes.
Otherwise, when you get home you will probably find most of your shots were taken between 24-28mm.

Second choice, I would take my D5100 and AF-S Nikkors 10-24, 35mm f/1.8, and 28-300.
They make a very light and compact (for me) travel kit.
The image quality is very good, but
you probably need a TriPod or MonoPod due to the higher resolution showing movement more better.
I choose the D5100 over my D7000 because it is cheaper, lighter, and does HD1080 Video at 30fps.
Also the articulation LCD is very good and allows you to get shots over crowds.

sac3848 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2007Mon 12-Sep-11 02:42 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which camera"
In response to Reply # 0

jacksonville Beach, US

Thanks for your thoughts.Will probably add the 14-24 and go with it
Will post some picts when we return

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 12-Sep-11 02:55 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which camera"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 12-Sep-11 03:07 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Make a list of everything you are taking on your trip and if possible take a picture.
This will help you keep track of it and very useful if lost or stolen.
The chance of theft in Ireland is about the same as here and a lot less than Greece or Italy.

I used my 14-24 with my D5100 Sunday to take pictures in Big Sur.
Wonderful lens. 14, 18, and 24mm were all used a lot.
Of course, 14mm on the D5100 is nearly equal to 21mm on a D3.
That is why I usually use a 10-24DX lens for landscapes.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 12-Sep-11 04:27 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

The D7000 will record more detail than the D3s, but the controls take time to learn as they are quite different.
24mm is not very wide on DX. I would stick with what you know.
If USA household camera insurance extensions work the same way as UK they should cover trips overseas up to 30 days.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 12-Sep-11 05:31 PM
#6. "RE: Which camera"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

I would stick with what you
>know.

I agree, Len

Your keeper rate should be way higher on the D3s.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 12-Sep-11 07:57 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which camera"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 12-Sep-11 08:00 PM by billD80

US

>The D7000 will record more detail than the D3s, but the
>controls take time to learn as they are quite different.

This is correct, so stepping up to the D7000 might not be a good thing unless you have a chance to really get familiar with it.

But actually, much as I love my D7K, I can't imagine not taking what you've got because of potential theft. The D3s is simply wonderful. Insure it, and take it. You know the camera, and that will ensure getting the images you'll really want.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Sun 18-Sep-11 05:49 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which camera"
In response to Reply # 7

Chula Vista, US

Take what you know. With decades of experience in the military I've learned from others do not take what you have not used - the travel time is not the time for learning.

Make sure you have insurance - and if the camera gets stolen, the door just opened for that D700 or its replacement.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11911 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.