Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11871
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do you turn the D7000 off?" Previous topic | Next topic
alanwk Registered since 08th Aug 2006Sat 10-Sep-11 08:47 PM
220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Do you turn the D7000 off?"

Oklahoma City, US

Do you turn your D7000 off or leave it on?

Best Regards, Alan

A Texas Nikonian in Oklahoma

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?
rlecocq
10th Sep 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
10th Sep 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
10th Sep 2011
alanwk
10th Sep 2011
J_Harris Silver Member
11th Sep 2011
jamtins Silver Member
11th Sep 2011
km6xz Moderator
11th Sep 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
14th Sep 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
10th Sep 2011
ericbowles Moderator
11th Sep 2011
WD4MLA Silver Member
11th Sep 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
11th Sep 2011
mikesrc Silver Member
13th Sep 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
13th Sep 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
14th Sep 2011

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Sat 10-Sep-11 09:46 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

Well I turn off my 7k unless I forget.... Which is about 30% of the time.

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sat 10-Sep-11 10:12 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 1

Ellington, US

Same here. I *mean* to turn it off, but...I'm old, so that should tell you something right there.

And before you start laughing at me, at least my directional is already on long before I reach my turn

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 10-Sep-11 10:41 PM
1454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It can be turned off?

What will happen to me if I turn it off?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

alanwk Registered since 08th Aug 2006Sat 10-Sep-11 11:15 PM
220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 3

Oklahoma City, US

>It can be turned off?
>
>What will happen to me if I turn it off?

Do you turn it off when changing the lens and charging the battery?

Best Regards, Alan

A Texas Nikonian in Oklahoma

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Sun 11-Sep-11 12:34 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 11-Sep-11 01:40 PM by J_Harris

US

>Do you turn it off when changing the lens and charging the
>battery?
>

I must be more paranoid than the others. After reading the manual's guidance I decided there would be four situations that warrants turning it off:

1. When not using it (but keeping it on during an entire shooting session).

2. Changing lenses.

3. Changing the battery.

4. Removing Memory Card.

Addendum: Oops, forgot to include the memory card, thanks Stan.

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Sun 11-Sep-11 12:13 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 6

Meadow Heights, AU

Hi there,

I must admit, when not in use, I turn the D7K off. I turn it off if I am traveling.

I do turn it off to change cards,
on changing lenses, I suspect it is about 50-50, now I think about it.
most of my shooting sessions are not long enough to change the battery. So it only gets changed between sessions, I have two batteries and change over one to be charged. Camera would be off.

I used to have D200 's which were battery hogs and used to keep cameras turned off unless shooting.

DJ

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 11-Sep-11 11:49 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 11-Sep-11 04:49 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Now that the question is a little more specific and answerable....yes, everytime the lens is dismounted, card changed or battery is swapped in the grip. It is an instant reflex, that occurs just before reaching for the lens release button.
Any electronics is best turned off when making connections. The data lines going to the grip jack and the lens contacts are diode clamped for protection from static but it is tempting fate to rely on that.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 14-Sep-11 08:56 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 4

Joanna, US

It should be turned off if you are using a VR type lens and still have the VR on. There must be a reason for Nikon to include an off/on switch. I always turn mine off when I'm through shooting, changing lens or cards. After all, how much trouble is it to simply turn it off/on? By so doing, certainly some battery power is saved.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 10-Sep-11 11:45 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I only turn mine off if I'm packing it away. Even then I forget to turn it off.

I used to always leave my D40 on as well but I did have problems with it turning off by itself after the unfortunate gatorade incident. The FN button was affected by the spill and would keep the camera on and cause the battery to drain.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 11-Sep-11 12:18 PM
8510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

My camera bodies are always turned off at the completion of shooting.

My routine is to store the gear - which means removing the lens even if I am just storing it in my pack. Then I change batteries and recharge the one that was in the camera. Both of these steps require the camera to be turned off.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 11-Sep-11 01:44 PM
897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

I think it is a good practice to always turn it off when putting it into a case. I had an N80 that I forgot to turn off and when I put it in the case it activated the shutter. When I took it out at the end of the day, it was very hot. I guess I was lucky that it did not burn it out.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 11-Sep-11 04:43 PM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 10

Alberta, CA

The other benefit of turning off and on is it causes the dust-shaker on the sensor to engage.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

mikesrc Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Tue 13-Sep-11 02:45 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 11

OKLAHOMA CITY, US

I like to turn mine off to change lens and memory but forget most of the time I have abused this poor camera more than any I've ever owned and it just keeps on ticking.

Mike In OKC

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 13-Sep-11 11:18 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Not to be really picky but I believe that the state of the power switch makes no difference when removing or replacing the memory cards. There must be some power that is always present on the card interface as it detects the change of the card even with the switch off. The green LED activates when the card is inserted or removed. The LED pattern is different when it is powered on as it reads the card. Of course, I am not suggesting that the card be removed while the LED is active! But if there is power at the card interface at all times (unless the battery were removed) there is no need for you to turn off the camera.

Also consider SD card readers in PC's and laptops, no instructions ever demand that the power be turned off to the computer to swap cards. I'm sure the interface in Nikon cameras is implemented with the necessary components to insure no damage will occur.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 14-Sep-11 02:12 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Do you turn the D7000 off?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I think it would be best to turn it off if when done shooting for the day. The reason is to keep the camera form being accidentally activated and having the focus and exposure systems on and fully draining the battery to a point at which can not be recharged. In the sleep mode the camera draws very little power, but if the focus and exposure circuits are on the drain is significant and can draining the battery in a matter of hours. When the camera is off, the battery drains just like being out of the camera. The media card slots probably may have an axillary on switch.

Many cameras issued after the D200 have a GPS time out sitting. This came about because having a powered GPS connected to the D200 kept the camera's focus and exposure circuits on and the battery drained in less than 2 hours.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11871 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.