Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11762
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7K auto focus issue" Previous topic | Next topic
andyboy1 Registered since 12th Oct 2010Mon 05-Sep-11 01:24 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7K auto focus issue"

US

I've been having intermittant focusing issues with my D7K since it arrived last year but could never quite isolate the issue...until this moring. When I have the camera and lens set to auto focus it will work fine for numerous shots then suddenly it will stop auto focusing and i have to revert to manual. Just a suddenly it will return to auto focus. I began to think it was a contrast issue until this morning.

I was doing so shooting and after five shots of the same scene with just a little shifting and composition changes in my distance the camera auto focus stopped working and there was only the small square focus point box in the center of the viewfinder. I shifted the camera to see if a change in scene and contrast would bring back the auto focus...but there was no change.

This time I turned the camer off, dismounted the lens, then remounted it. Set up the same scene and of course the auto focus worked fine.

This most recent incident was with a new 16-85 but it has happened with other new and older lenses. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that it's a lens/contact issue but if that was the case why would it be so intermittant? This can happen several times a day....or not at all.

I'm really reluctant to send the cam back to Nikon right now because it's my peak shoot season and the warranty is good until December.

Any thoughts? Am I on the right tract with the lens/camara contact theory? Anyone else have this happen and resolve it witout sending the cam back to Nikon?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7K auto focus issue
billD80 Silver Member
05th Sep 2011
smh
05th Sep 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th Sep 2011
smh
06th Sep 2011
HayMower Silver Member
06th Sep 2011
andyboy1
07th Sep 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
07th Sep 2011
Ellis Feibush Silver Member
12th Sep 2011

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 05-Sep-11 02:06 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7K auto focus issue"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Try this... When the camera is AF-ing properly, touch the lens release button, and see if this shuts down AF.

Also, have you installed the latest Firmware?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Mon 05-Sep-11 04:41 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7K auto focus issue"
In response to Reply # 1

Lexington, US

FWIW, I have a Sigma lens that I have to be careful about how my hand puts pressure on the lens body, lest I cause a contact issue that throws the camera into weird modes. So, I wouldn't discount a lens/body contact issue.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 05-Sep-11 09:31 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7K auto focus issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>It's easy to jump to the conclusion that it's a lens/contact issue
If the contacts in the camera throat need a careful clean this could cause your problem.
It may be unlikely - but are the 5 screws on the body bayonet still tight?

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Tue 06-Sep-11 12:39 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7K auto focus issue"
In response to Reply # 3

Lexington, US

Len, I checked the screws, they're ok. But good point, and, glad you mentioned it.
I misspoke when I said "contact issue". Yes, it is the contacts that break, but, the real issue -I think- is a bit of some type misalignment; Because the problem doesn't happen with any other lens.

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Tue 06-Sep-11 03:05 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7K auto focus issue"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I have a similar problem with an 85mm 1.8 D lens. I've finally figured it out, thoug - I think. I'm not pressing the AE-L/AF-L far enough sometimes to engage the focus. For some reason, this doesn't happen with myu other lenses - so it may be a contact issue with the 85 -

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

andyboy1 Registered since 12th Oct 2010Wed 07-Sep-11 12:21 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7K auto focus issue"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for the responses. I've updated the firmware but I see little to indicate that this will help. But...it can't hurt. It's been raining since my original post so I haven't been able to get out and do any shooting but the rain is supposed to stop towards the weekend. Once I get everyone off the ark I'll find my gardens and try the various suggestions. Maybe just firing off a couple of dozen shots I'll be able to figure out if it's me (random finger roaming), the lenses or the camera. Please stay tuned.

Andrew

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 07-Sep-11 09:36 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7K auto focus issue"
In response to Reply # 4

Yorkshire, GB

>the real issue -I think- is a bit of some type misalignment; Because the problem doesn't happen with any other lens.
You are probably right about the lens bayonet contacts.
Fitting a new bayonet mount takes about 10 minutes and the part is not expensive - a repair should not cost a lot - providing you avoid minimum handling charges of $100 or so.
First try carefully pressing each lens contact up and down, contacts pointing toward the ground - with luck you may dislodge a piece of grit. If any contact does not instantly and quickly spring back my advice is get the repair.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Mon 12-Sep-11 01:18 AM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7K auto focus issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Summit, US

I had a similar problem with my 18 - 135mm lens recently on a trip around the Sierra Nevada mountains in California and Nevada.
The D7000 wouldn't focus at times, but when I pressed the camera/lens release button and rotated the lens a bit, everything worked fine. I later removed the lens and found pieces of dirt on the plastic ring that surrounds the lens as it is twisted onto the camera body. Cleaning the plastic ring of some kind of dirt that settled there solved the problem. You must have a very solid, uninterrupted connection between lens and body so that all contacts and parts of the lens fit solidly on the camera body. Once cleaned up, everything worked fine. Hope this works for you. Check for dirt all over, brush it away and I think you're good to go. Good luck!

efeibush

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11762 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.