Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1169
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
Warpdrv Registered since 24th Oct 2010Sun 24-Oct-10 09:37 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"

US

Ok First time post, and my first DSLR - very very happy with my decision to purchase this camera. So far its been awesome. I found a couple extras on my local Craigslist so I grabbed them with the research done and knowing they were good products. Grabbed a Nikon 16-85 VR, SB-600 and this Tamron lens, all in perfect shape.

Well I can't get the 90mm "auto focus" to work at all on the D7000, darnit I hope I didn't get duped. I was at my GF's place this morn and her father has the D90, dropped the Tamron on that body and it works perfectly. Now I'm stumped, we couldn't figure out what maybe in the menu system could be holding it up...

Maybe someone has some ideas that could help here, I really like the lens, and if it doesn't work for the D7000 - I'll just give it to her dad - no big deal... Great lens for a good price used - no sweat.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem
briantilley Moderator
24th Oct 2010
Warpdrv
24th Oct 2010
km6xz Moderator
25th Oct 2010
briantilley Moderator
25th Oct 2010
blw Moderator
25th Oct 2010
Warpdrv
25th Oct 2010
briantilley Moderator
25th Oct 2010
Warpdrv
25th Oct 2010
briantilley Moderator
25th Oct 2010
Warpdrv
25th Oct 2010
briantilley Moderator
25th Oct 2010
elec164 Silver Member
13th Nov 2010
Leonard62 Gold Member
14th Oct 2011
elec164 Silver Member
16th Oct 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member
16th Oct 2011
Kale49 Silver Member
13th Nov 2010
ramesh_balkrish
14th Oct 2011
elec164 Silver Member
16th Oct 2011
imagexcel
16th Oct 2011
ramesh_balkrish
16th Oct 2011
rdudley Silver Member
03rd Nov 2011
ramesh_balkrish
04th Nov 2011
jerry r Silver Member
05th Nov 2011
rdudley Silver Member
05th Nov 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 24-Oct-10 09:59 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

The Tamron 90mm Macro certainly should autofocus on the D7000, just like on the D90. It could just be a problem with the mechanical AF coupling between camera and lens.

Do you have access to any other lenses without their own AF motor, to try to narrow down the problem?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Warpdrv Registered since 24th Oct 2010Sun 24-Oct-10 10:50 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the welcome Brian....

Unfortunately I do not have another non AF motor lenses...

I was just very surprised that it worked instantly on the D90 and not on the 7000.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 25-Oct-10 03:51 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

I don't know if this applies to your macro lens but several models of 3rd party lens(mostly reports from Sigma owners but other companies as well) do not work in AF with the D7000 because their CPU inside the lens is not compatible. This has happened regularly on new model cameras where the lens makers have not fully reverse engineered the communications protocol of the camera.
Sigma and others know about this and will install a modified CPU in their lenses. Contact Tamron to see what they will do about it.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 25-Oct-10 08:28 AM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

I had forgotten that the latest version of the Tamron 90mm Macro comes with an internal AF motor. So, the answer here may depend on which version of the lens this is - checking the rear mounting ring of the lens for the "screwdriver" AF coupling would tell us one way or the other.

If the lens is the latest version, then Stan's suggestion of asking Tamron about compatibility with the D7000 is a good one. This is the sort of thing that sometimes happens when a new camera is released. Sigma (many of whose lenses have had AF motors for some years) have had to issue lens firmware/chip changes several times.

If the lens is the older version, then the AF drive is mechanical, and electrical compatibility should not matter (for AF purposes, anyway).

One last thought - the Tamron switches between AF and MF by moving the focus collar in or out. Is it possible that the collar was moved inadvertently when attaching and removing the lens from the D7000...?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 25-Oct-10 09:05 AM
26290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

> Is it possible that the collar was moved inadvertently when attaching and removing the lens from the D7000...?

This is a very real possibility. I've done this many, many times.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Warpdrv Registered since 24th Oct 2010Mon 25-Oct-10 02:40 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 25-Oct-10 02:46 PM by Warpdrv

US

>I had forgotten that the latest version of the Tamron 90mm
>Macro comes with an internal AF motor. So, the answer here
>may depend on which version of the lens this is - checking the
>rear mounting ring of the lens for the "screwdriver"
>AF coupling would tell us one way or the other.
>
>If the lens is the latest version, then Stan's suggestion of
>asking Tamron about compatibility with the D7000 is a good
>one. This is the sort of thing that sometimes happens when a
>new camera is released. Sigma (many of whose lenses have had
>AF motors for some years) have had to issue lens firmware/chip
>changes several times.
>
>If the lens is the older version, then the AF drive is
>mechanical, and electrical compatibility should not matter
>(for AF purposes, anyway).
>
>One last thought - the Tamron switches between AF and MF by
>moving the focus collar in or out. Is it possible that the
>collar was moved inadvertently when attaching and removing the
>lens from the D7000...?

We worked the collar back and forth to engage and disengage the AF for this lens to no avail - worked perfectly on the D90, just not the D7000.
Looking at the back ring of the Tamron, there is a "screw driver" post which is highlighted by my arrow..

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Warpdrv/D7000/DSC_0277.jpg

Here is the contacts picture....
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Warpdrv/D7000/DSC_0278.jpg

Serial number of this lens is 532392
Model # is SP Di 90mm 1:2.8 Macro 1:1 AF

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 25-Oct-10 02:59 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

Thanks for posting the images

Your lens certainly appears to be an older "screwdriver" AF model, so the idea of the electrical contacts or the lens chip being incompatible should not affect AF operation.

It may be that the little "prong" in the D7000's lens mount which drives focus is not springing out to engage with the lens correctly. You could try wiggling it a little with a pair of tweezers.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Warpdrv Registered since 24th Oct 2010Mon 25-Oct-10 04:14 PM
#8. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 25-Oct-10 04:19 PM by Warpdrv

US

Hmmm Ok placing the lens back on the body - it doesn't even seem that that drive motor on the camera body is working to turn the auto focus screw. Makes me wonder if in fact that the lens isn't communicating with the body properly to turn on or engage that screw motor. IE requiring a rechipping.

Or is there a setting in the menu that is not engaged to perform this operation, one or the other I am starting to think.... I have all AF functions in the menu turned on... The prong is def sprung, and sticking out of the camera body, not hung up flush at all from my observation and is able to be gently pushed down and it springs back up.

When shooting with other lenses I am getting all AF points to show up through the reticle, but with this lens I don't get any of the focus point to show at all, just the outside bracket - see pic...

http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/nikon-d7000-39-points-af.png

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 25-Oct-10 05:44 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 25-Oct-10 05:51 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

OK - the "prong" sounds normal.

The lens chip and electrical circuitry are not involved in whether the camera uses the mechanical AF drive or not. The "screwdriver" prong springs out when these lenses are mounted, but cannot when an AF-S lens (which lacks the corresponding socket) is mounted.

But having said that, the fact that no AF points are displayed in the viewfinder does suggest that the camera isn't recognising something about the lens. If you switch the lens and the camera to manual focus, are you able to take a picture?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Warpdrv Registered since 24th Oct 2010Mon 25-Oct-10 09:31 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 25-Oct-10 09:33 PM by Warpdrv

US

Yes, I can still use it to take pics with manual, which is just fine, its a macro, so its not like I really have to work all that hard... Its more flexible that way, I was just trying to rule all else out with the auto focus not working on this camera.

Went to the local Camera store today and picked up some Hoya UV filters for all the lenses I have now as well as a circular polarizer, and some lens leashes.

The shop owner grabbed a Nikon lens off the shelf and stuck it on the D7000, to confirm that the motor function of the body works as it should for AF and I didn't get a lemon. So it rules everything else out here..

So I will end this thread with a thanks to all that helped, which served as a great learning experience for me as well to get to know more about my new machine....

Regards

Patrick

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 25-Oct-10 09:43 PM
#11. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 10

Paignton, GB

>Yes, I can still use it to take pics with manual, which is
>just fine, its a macro, so its not like I really have to work
>all that hard... Its more flexible that way, I was just
>trying to rule all else out with the auto focus not working on
>this camera.

Yes, I use manual focus for macro work quite often. But I was really thinking that if the camera lets you take the picture and the expoure is OK, there must be some correct electrical communication between camera and lens.

>The shop owner grabbed a Nikon lens off the shelf and stuck it
>on the D7000, to confirm that the motor function of the body
>works as it should for AF and I didn't get a lemon. So it
>rules everything else out here...

That was a good idea. It does seem as though this particular Tamron lens may need to be updated to work fully with the D7000

>So I will end this thread with a thanks to all that helped,
>which served as a great learning experience for me as well to
>get to know more about my new machine...

No problem, Patrick! Glad we could help

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 13-Nov-10 06:36 PM
1893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I remember reading this and wondering how you made out Patrick.

I acquired the screw drive Tamron 90mm Macro 2 years ago and have used it without issue with my D80. The only tricky thing is that it takes a stern snap of the AF/M collar to insure that the AF engages properly.

My contemplating upgrading to a D7000 made me take interest in this topic wondering if I would experience the same issue. I just tried it out and fortunately it works just fine and actually seems to have a much quicker AF performance then I remembered when using it on my D80 (but I could be off on that recollection).

Thought I would report my experience just in case someone else coming across this thread who has this lens might be wondering or not if they also might have a problem.

Did you ever get the issue resolved Patrick?

Pete

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 14-Oct-11 12:45 PM
2694 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 12

US

>I remember reading this and wondering how you made out
>Patrick.
>
>Did you ever get the issue resolved Patrick?
>
>Pete
>

The original poster is no longer a member here. That is a problem with answering old posts where the poster has only a few posts. In many instances it appears that the op has a problem with his camera, temporarily joins so he can post a question and then shortly thereafter cancels membership.

Len

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 16-Oct-11 11:02 AM
1893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 15

US

>>I remember reading this and wondering how you made out
>>Patrick.
>>
>>Did you ever get the issue resolved Patrick?
>>
>>Pete
>>
>
>The original poster is no longer a member here. That is a
>problem with answering old posts where the poster has only a
>few posts. In many instances it appears that the op has a
>problem with his camera, temporarily joins so he can post a
>question and then shortly thereafter cancels membership.
>
>Len
>

Thanks for the advice, but can you tell me the appropriate amount of time one should consider to late and not respond to a thread?

My reply was within three weeks of the OP. Your rebuke of my post is almost a year later. Granted the OP seems to have stuck around only a few days to sort out his problem, which is a shame. But I don’t believe a response just shy of three weeks later is out of line. And my experience just might help others whom later use Nikonscope and revive this thread (as happened), even if the OP is long gone.

Pete

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 16-Oct-11 03:11 PM
2694 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 17

US

>
>Thanks for the advice, but can you tell me the appropriate
>amount of time one should consider to late and not respond to
>a thread?
>
>My reply was within three weeks of the OP. Your rebuke of my
>post is almost a year later.
>
>Pete

Pete,
I was not rebuking your post but that of the original poster. It seems to happen all the time, even within a week, especially if the poster has very few or only one post. I don't think there is a time limit if the poster is still a member. So I check first especially if the post is unique to his/her equipment only. Sorry if my post was interpreted in that way.

Len

Kale49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 13-Nov-10 08:23 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 13-Nov-10 08:25 PM by Kale49

Espoo, FI

I have also a Tamron 90 mm 1/2,8 AF MACRO 1:1. A bit scared I put it in my pretty new D7000 body after reading of the problem.

Fortunately it focused absolutely perfectly! So the problem is not in the lens model. It must be in the individual glass.

Kale S
Espoo, Finland

ramesh_balkrish Registered since 14th Oct 2011Fri 14-Oct-11 04:29 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 13

IN

I just bought my new nikon d7k, have my eyes on

tamron 90mm...can u pls suggest me the model number

of tamron 90mm that is best suitable for the Nikon

D7000 please....

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 16-Oct-11 11:13 AM
#18. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Ramesh, any new Tamron 90mm Macro should work fine. The older version was a screw drive (which would not be an issue with the D7000 anyway); but Tamron seems to have updated it with an internal focus motor now.

This issue seems to be just be isolated with earlier models that needed to re-chipped.

My screw drive version with serial number 5388XX works just fine.

Pete

imagexcel Registered since 11th Oct 2011Sun 16-Oct-11 04:10 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just to add to the feedback, I have a Tamron 90mm macro SP Di, exactly as described. It is an even older one, purchased about six years ago, serial number 5062XX.

After reading this post, I put it on my D7000 to make sure it worked, as I had not tried it with that camera body yet. The autofocus cranked up and worked perfectly from the first time I pushed down on the button.

Hope you figure out what the problem is. -BC

ramesh_balkrish Registered since 14th Oct 2011Sun 16-Oct-11 02:03 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 16

IN

Thanks Pete and BC....for your valuable comments....so am heading to buy one soon....wish me good luck....for a first timer with a DSLR..pls see my pix in flickr....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44353682@N06/

Hope its upto the mark.....thanks guys...

rdudley Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-11 05:13 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#22. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 16

Etna, US

Not sure if this thread is still running but:

I have been using a Tamron 90 SP Di for a few years now. It works fine with the D7000. However, on both the D80 and D7000 I had a problem with the lens autofocus ... nothing to do with the camera. Fairly regularly the lens does not auto focus even when set to do so. I suppose it needs a repair trip. However, I easily get it working again by placing it in manual mode, twist to move the forward part of the lens out a bit, and then gently press the front portion of the lens back toward the camera. Then it works fine (See attached).

Richard
Etna, New York, USA

http://earth01.net/RGDudley/
http://rdudley.smugmug.com/
My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

ramesh_balkrish Registered since 14th Oct 2011Fri 04-Nov-11 12:54 AM
#23. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 22

IN

Yeah still keep following the thread....still haven't bought the Tamron...may be next month...so..what you say is, you need to do that action of back and forth movement all the time you are taking a pix ? Is that so ?

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Sat 05-Nov-11 05:59 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 23
Sat 05-Nov-11 06:01 PM by jerry r

Banning, US

I have the older screw drive Tamron 90 macro and two D7000's (his & hers). We almost exclusively use the Tammy for macro and focus manually.

I just checked the Tammy 90 with autofocus on both of the D7000's at several distances and the autofocus works just fine on both bodies.

Jerry

rdudley Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Sat 05-Nov-11 07:50 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#25. "RE: D7000 & Tamron 90mm Macro Problem"
In response to Reply # 23

Etna, US

No you shouldn't have to do that! I was just commenting about someone who said the lens did not auto focus with the D7000. I SHOULD work fine with no fiddling around.... just that with my lens a non focus problem came up, but could be solved. I just thought that person might have had the same problem.

Richard
Etna, New York, USA

http://earth01.net/RGDudley/
http://rdudley.smugmug.com/
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1169 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.