Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11608
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Back Button Focus Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
Wellblessed Registered since 24th Aug 2011Sat 27-Aug-11 04:08 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"

US

Hi all! I'm hoping someone here can help me. I was shooting yesterday with my D7000, I always use back button focus on AF-S and it stopped working. In that the camera will focus but I can't get the little focus square to move any more. I tried switching to AF-A and AF-C and the little square till won't move. Is there anything I can try to get it to work again?

Also, it's not the back button itself, it still works for other things like scrolling through the menu.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem
briantilley Moderator
27th Aug 2011
Wellblessed
27th Aug 2011
mholka
30th Aug 2011
Robman3
30th Aug 2011
Wellblessed
30th Aug 2011
Wellblessed
30th Aug 2011
mdallie Silver Member
30th Aug 2011
dwaycie Silver Member
30th Aug 2011
Wellblessed
30th Aug 2011
mholka
30th Aug 2011
Wellblessed
30th Aug 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 27-Aug-11 04:50 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I would first check that you don't have the Focus Selector Lock on. This is the small switch below the Multi-selector on the camera rear - if it is set to "L", then the Multi-selector can be used for menu access but not for moving the focus point.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Wellblessed Registered since 24th Aug 2011Sat 27-Aug-11 04:58 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you SO much. That worked. I don't know how it got hit because it worked for one picture and not the next (must have bumped it somehow). I've not had the camera that long and I'm still figuring things out. Thanks again!!!

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Tue 30-Aug-11 05:25 AM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Brownstown Twp, US

I have inadvertently hit the lock on occasions and am always puzzled for about 5 minutes until I go through my mental check list and then go DOH!!! Guess I should move that check higher up on the list.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Tue 30-Aug-11 06:48 AM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

West of Santa Monica, US

Yep, DUH happens to me as well.

Wellblessed Registered since 24th Aug 2011Tue 30-Aug-11 06:57 AM
#6. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I find it entirely reassuring that I'm not the only one.

Wellblessed Registered since 24th Aug 2011Tue 30-Aug-11 06:56 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 30-Aug-11 06:58 AM by Wellblessed

US

I got invited to be a second shooter in July and got home only to realize that I'd had my ISO at 6400. I thought my shutter speed was a bit on the fast side but again, new camera and my first one that could get anywhere close to 6400. I felt so stupid I almost couldn't sleep that night. Blessing 1 - the lovely de-noise preset I uploaded for Lightroom (which I'd just purchased and used all of one time before that night) worked beautifully and the family LOVED the photos. Blessing 2 - the only payment I received was an absolutely amazing Mexican meal at the end of the shoot. I'm SO not giving a refund on that one.

I really think I need to make a check list, laminate it and hang it off my camera strap.

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Tue 30-Aug-11 10:11 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Novi, US

When I was shooting, I got in my head a mental checklist to constantly check white balance, ISO, shutter speed and aperture. I was always saying that to myself so that any time I had a free moment I was checking those settings. It saved me more than once.

Thanks for the info on the lock. I haven't run into it yet, but it is good information to store away for when it does happen.

Mike

dwaycie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Tue 30-Aug-11 11:19 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 7

Buffalo Grove, US

I have a friend who always uses the acronym WAIT. For White balance, Aperture, ISO, and Time (shutter speed). So now I generally remember to WAIT before I shoot.

Good shooting, and WAIT.

Dave

Wellblessed Registered since 24th Aug 2011Tue 30-Aug-11 03:44 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 8

US

That's really clever. It doesn't help when I've been a dork and hit the lock button but it's a start and something I can (probably) remember.

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Tue 30-Aug-11 03:45 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 8

Brownstown Twp, US

>
>I have a friend who always uses the acronym WAIT. For White
>balance, Aperture, ISO, and Time (shutter speed). So now I
>generally remember to WAIT before I shoot.
>
>Good shooting, and WAIT.
>
>Dave

Wow - I heard that back in the Air Force too. Forgot about it. Great reminder. I am going to have to remember to do that!

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Wellblessed Registered since 24th Aug 2011Tue 30-Aug-11 03:42 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 Back Button Focus Problem"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Yeah, except I'm a stay at home mom to four (1,3,4,7) I typically don't have any brain cells left for a *mental* check list.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11608 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.