Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #116
View in linear mode

Subject: "Buy D7000 now or wait until the bugs are worked out?" Previous topic | Next topic
snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Thu 16-Sep-10 02:17 AM
1477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Buy D7000 now or wait until the bugs are worked out?"

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I like the specs of the new D7000! While I didn't feel the need to upgrade from my D200 to a D300s, I am considering getting a D7000. Based on Nikon's past experiences with just about every DSLR they introduced, the first models usually have some glitch that requires an immediate firmware update. Will some of you be buying the D7000 as soon as it hits the stores, or will you wait until after it has been around for a few months?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Buy D7000 now or wait until the bugs are worked out...
PAStime Silver Member
16th Sep 2010
snegron Silver Member
16th Sep 2010
km6xz Moderator
16th Sep 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
16th Sep 2010
joeleszc
16th Sep 2010

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 16-Sep-10 02:44 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Buy D7000 now or wait until the bugs are worked out?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>Based on Nikon's past experiences with just
>about every DSLR they introduced, the first models usually
>have some glitch that requires an immediate firmware update.

Really? I can't speak for other models but the D90 came out coming up to two years ago and has not required one fix. I wouldn't hesitate to buy early copies of a new model from Nikon, at least not with the great experience I've had.

Even if a firmware update was necessary, they aren't hard to do (as far as I've heard).

Peter

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Thu 16-Sep-10 03:18 AM
1477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Buy D7000 now or wait until the bugs are worked out?"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 16-Sep-10 03:19 AM by snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I can speak for just about every other model introduced by Nikon. Here are a few examples off the top of my head:

-D70 = Blinking Green Light of Death (two of mine died of this).
-D200 = Banding.
-D2H = Shutter lock up.
-D5000= Power control recall.

All these problems were eliminated with the later production models. Of course, we can go and take a look back at similar instances with Nikon's film SLR's...

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 16-Sep-10 04:32 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Buy D7000 now or wait until the bugs are worked out?"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

The chance of just dropping by a store and buying one from stock won't be there for many months so it is not much of a worry. Just like the D3s, pre-orders and waiting lists meant few units were available over the counter. Those early adopters will find any bugs well before more cautious types every see one in the flesh.
A million will be sold in the first 6 months....probably. The D90 was just another model that turned out to be much more capable than expected. This new one had high expectations and buzz yet seemed to even surpass the wildest speculations.

I checked the Canon forums and D300 forums and all are creating lists of reasons why the D7000 is not as good as their favorite, mostly based on faulty logic and jumping to negative conclusions, as if they need to defend the honor or their own model from the usurper which might overshadow their toy, as if the D7k suddenly made their camera less capable or something.
So far, on the D300 forums, the consensus is that the D7k is not a pro model because it is clearly unacceptable to "pros" who can't possibly shoot with something lighter than a D300 and that the new model is missing 1 button and 1 switch from what they are used to.
The Canon people are claiming it will be unusable because it does not shoot at 1080/30fps, and just a beginner camera since it has scenes buried in its menu. The light weight nature of the logic and conclusions all point a lot of people are very concerned that their gear is suddenly obsolete and the line between amateur and pro has faded to almost invisibility.
With so many people seeking it and so many people trying to find fault, real or imagined, any software faults will be well known in by the time pre-orders ship. The D90 was almost unique in a complex consumer product that had no software issues. The chances of D7000's not having any are low but if anyone has shown they are capable of a superbly polished-when-released engineering effort it is Nikon.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 16-Sep-10 02:28 PM
3140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Buy D7000 now or wait until the bugs are worked out?"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

I bought a defective D300 and returned it to my local store.
It was a painless, over the counter swap.
I am not afraid to be the first with a D7000.

I think it is a good thing to fight NAS.
We need to make informed decisions.
In this case I will be replacing more expensive cameras and not just "UpGrading".

joeleszc Registered since 02nd Mar 2009Thu 16-Sep-10 02:50 PM
343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Buy D7000 now or wait until the bugs are worked out?"
In response to Reply # 3

Brick, US

Stan, well said.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #116 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.