Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11503
View in linear mode

Subject: "Viewing a photo" Previous topic | Next topic
newfella Registered since 23rd Aug 2011Tue 23-Aug-11 10:21 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Viewing a photo"
Tue 23-Aug-11 04:13 PM by dm1dave

Caloundra West, AU

I am a real newby and have only had my D7000 for 3 days so be gentle with me.

My question is when viewing a photo that you have taken how do I get rid of all the info at the bottom, all I want to view is the Photo.
I have been through the user manual dozens of times and I cant find it anywhere.

thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Viewing a photo
rhammers
23rd Aug 2011
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Aug 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
23rd Aug 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
23rd Aug 2011
briantilley Moderator
23rd Aug 2011
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Aug 2011
paul_7e Silver Member
23rd Aug 2011
dm1dave Administrator
23rd Aug 2011
newfella
23rd Aug 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
23rd Aug 2011
StafroPhoto Silver Member
24th Aug 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th Aug 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
25th Aug 2011

rhammers Registered since 09th Jun 2007Tue 23-Aug-11 10:53 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 0

erie, US

although I am not absolutely sure what you are trying to do, if you click the up or down on the clickwheel while viewing your pictures, it will give you different modes. I believe one is with nothing at the bottom.
thanks rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 23-Aug-11 11:27 AM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I think you are referring to the Playback Display function.

You can decide what you want displayed when you playback an image. The selector button can be used to scroll through the various displays for an image.

You can decide which views are displayed by following the instructions on page 197 in the manual. You simply select the displays desired.

I use the RGB histogram, the information display, and the Highlights display. I typically am viewing the Highlights display for blinking overexposed areas when I chimp.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 23-Aug-11 11:40 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Welcome to the Nikonians and congratulations on buying the D7000.

The information you want begins on page 163 of the manual. That describes the display options and their menus.

You may want to purchase a second information source. My personal favorite is Thom Hogan's D7000 Field Guide. That has a ton of information about the D7000 and some general camera information, if you're new to DSLRs. I have the CD version and refer to it all the time.

Good luck.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 23-Aug-11 02:29 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I'm all for reading the manual, but unless you know Nikon's label/name for it, you have no idea what and where to look for it.

Myself, I have tried to find something in the manuals for my D7k (as well as D60), and spent hours trying to find it, only to surrender to the power of internet forums.

Downloading the .pdf versions of the manuals sometimes helps as I can search for certain words, but sometimes what one needs is called such an archaic name that you would never find it save for blind luck.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 23-Aug-11 02:36 PM
28679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

>I'm all for reading the manual, but unless you know Nikon's
>label/name for it, you have no idea what and where to look for
>it.

That's why I always read the manual cover-to-cover for any new camera - even if it's similar to one I already own. This helps to remember where everything is and what things are called

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 23-Aug-11 03:41 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

I'm certainly guilty of not reading the manual carefully - I do a quick scan and start working through menus. The D7000 and any onther "next generation" camera seem to make significant changes in earlier functions, so reading the manual is important. For example, the need for long exposure noise reduction is significantly different on the D7000 compared to earlier models. And new systems - like AF - demand an investment.

And Rob - you're not alone. Learning to speak Nikonese can be a challenge - especially with manuals. Terminology and layouts are not always intuitive. words with multiple uses or meaning can be difficult - like Auto Focus or Display. The recommended settings worksheet here at Nikonians and the guides from Thom Hogan and others can help.

I do keep a PDF copy of the manual on my iPad, iPhone, and laptop so I can reference it in the field.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberTue 23-Aug-11 02:30 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm not sure if this will help, but there are always 2 lines of info below the photo on the LCD screen (monitor). What you see is the full photo with the 2 lines showing basic info about the photo. I don't believe you can remove that info. This info is described at the bottom of page 165 in the user manual, items numbered 6 through 12. Additional info about the photo can be displayed by using the multi-selector dial. You can select what info you want to view using the Display Mode option on the Playback Menu.
Paul

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 23-Aug-11 04:16 PM
11280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 23-Aug-11 04:18 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Welcome to Nikonians John!

As some have said above the manuals are not always clear so don’t hesitat to come here and ask questions. We are here to help.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

newfella Registered since 23rd Aug 2011Tue 23-Aug-11 10:05 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 8

Caloundra West, AU

Thankyou all for your quick responses, it appears that the info cannot be removed and I have a choice of the 6 formats.

thanks all for your help
John

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 23-Aug-11 11:03 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 9

Port Charlotte, US

Did you mean to say that information CAN be removed? You can set the display up for full image display.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

StafroPhoto Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2009Wed 24-Aug-11 06:45 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 10

Seattle, US

I have been using my D7000 about 3 months and have missed not having the "blinking highlight" function that I use often on the D700. Now I know that I can change the view setting.

No, I did not read the manual! I am a MacUser. MacUsers don't read manuals ...

Seriously, thanks for the info.

Stan
Seattle

Stafrophoto.smugmug.com

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 24-Aug-11 07:21 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed 24-Aug-11 07:22 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You need to set your camera up to display the optional 'Highlights' information page.

"Menu => playback menu => Display mode => Highlights =>".

George
My Nikonian Galleries

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Thu 25-Aug-11 11:11 AM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Viewing a photo"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

Hey John - Welcome to Nikonians!

Stick around, you will be amazed how much you can learn about that wonderful camera just by reading the threads here.

I learn something every time I visit.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11503 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.