Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11460
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash settings?" Previous topic | Next topic
alsacienne Registered since 01st Aug 2011Sat 20-Aug-11 08:42 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash settings?"

US

Hi, even when in broad daylight and full sun, my flash often goes off. It's really annoying because I don't necessarily want to front-light my topics. I then have to stop and manually put the setting to 'no flash.'

Are there standard settings on camera which make this happen? And if so, can I change those so that my default is always no flash and I can activate the flash only when I really want it?

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DocPMD Registered since 17th Jun 2011Sat 20-Aug-11 09:30 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash settings?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 20-Aug-11 09:30 PM by DocPMD

US

My guess is that you are shooting in "Auto" mode or one of the scene modes. In that case, if the camera decides that you need flash you get flash. As you note, the only way around it is to set the flash mode to "no flash".

The other way around the problem, of course, is to shoot in manual, program, shutter priority, or aperture priority mode. Then you only get flash when you ask for it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Phil

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

alsacienne Registered since 01st Aug 2011Sun 21-Aug-11 05:28 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash settings?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Phil, thanks for your quick answer!

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011Sun 21-Aug-11 01:45 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash settings?"
In response to Reply # 2

Mechanicsville, US

If you are using the green Auto mode, notice on the Mode dial right next to the green Auto setting there is a symbol of a circle with a slash though it with a lightning bolt in the middle. This is the green Auto mode without Flash. So if you are using Auto mode just turn the mode dial one click counterclockwise (anticlockwise) to the above symbol.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -
Ansel Adams

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. -
Ansel Adams

alsacienne Registered since 01st Aug 2011Sun 21-Aug-11 03:17 PM
#4. "RE: Flash settings?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Oh dear... Now I'm embarrassed: I'd never even noticed that icon!

Thx for pointing that out, David

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11460 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.