Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1140
View in linear mode

Subject: "Initial Problems..." Previous topic | Next topic
danmerkel Registered since 06th Oct 2010Sun 24-Oct-10 12:19 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Initial Problems..."

US

I've had a D40x for a little over three years now and feel that I have come a long way in "catching up" with the digital photography age. Prior to that, I had shot film for over 30 years with Konicas and a variety of lenses. I was excited to read all of the rave reviews of the D7000 when it was announced a month ago but now that I've read some of the early users' experiences here, I'm not so sure.

So... based on what others have read here with the problems that some people have been having, how would you rate those problems on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is hardly a nuissance and 10 is an absolute show stopper?

I met two very nice gentleman at a camera shop in a major metro area about two hours from my home and I planned to pick one up when they got some in. Are these expressed concerns reason to hold off on those plans?

Thanks!

dlm

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 24-Oct-10 03:50 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Initial Problems..."
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Dan
A few people have had problems related to the camera, mot however seem to have problems related to old habits or not reading the manual. A few are AF problems with a few 3rd party lenses that need their CPU's upgraded, which come every time a new body comes out. Considering the complexity, and the range of experience of its target audience the first weeks problems seem about the same as when the d90 was released. At least in the case of the D90, no changes were made to the camera between its release and later when it was hailed as class leader, yet the early complaints sounded about the same. If you are concerned and happy with your D40x there is no necessity to upgrade now. Later when people begin learning about their new camera and the reports will drop off. For example all the early reports of "soft" images have stopped. Nothing has changed in the camera in the week since it has been out. The only one that seems to remain are some reports of glowing pixels when shooting movies with the lens cap on.
There is bound to me more complaints on a camera priced within reach of newcomers yet that is a very complex camera, the earliest reports of problems are from those first people who rushed out to buy it at Best Buy, upgrading from a Point and Shoot, and related to video.
Which reports are you concerned with?

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 24-Oct-10 04:32 AM
908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Initial Problems..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

OMG. Glowing pixels when shooting movies with the lens cap on. I'm bummed!

Good points, Stan. I'm learning every day there is more to learn about using my D90. No new bodies for me until I understand the one I've got now and can use it to the best of my capability. Besides, my credit cards need time to recover.

danmerkel Registered since 06th Oct 2010Mon 25-Oct-10 02:19 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Initial Problems..."
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 25-Oct-10 02:32 PM by danmerkel

US

>Hi Dan
>
>Which reports are you concerned with?
>
>
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

The video problems are what I was referring to and I appreciate your putting this into perspective. Not being a member of Nikonians earlier when other cameras were released and not watching those release notices nearly as much as I have this one, I didn't have anything to judge early complaints against.

The video issue is a bit more important to me in that I plan on using the camera for both video and still. I have an old tape based video camera which takes way too long to load into video editing software.

Thanks for your reply.

dlm

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 24-Oct-10 04:49 AM
908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Initial Problems..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dan

I can relate. I, too, started with a Konica or two back in the 70's. They are gone, given away to a student who needed a basic film camera. I don't even remember the model number of my first, though I'm sure there's an old manual in a box in the basement. It's sophisticated auto exposure system consisted of a "captured needle" technology. I think it was shutter priority. When the meter was turned on, a needle indicated the proper aperture in the viewfinder. As the shutter button was pressed, a mechanism physically held the needle in place and a stepped wheel indexed its position and governed the closure of the iris to the "correct" f/stop. The most advanced film camera I had, and still have, is a Nikon N8008, which seems to have been regarded as a pretty competent enthusiast's camera.

Good luck with your digital endeavors.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1140 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.