Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11006
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 and Flying Birds" Previous topic | Next topic
photphil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2004Mon 25-Jul-11 09:12 PM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 and Flying Birds"

Sidney, US

I use a D200 now and am considering an upgrade to a newer camera(D7000, D300s, D400?), as well as a newer telephoto. I like to shoot birds in flight (among other subjects) and wonder how well the D7000 keeps up with moving objects. I understand that the focusing, higher ISO, and IQ will be much better, but I'm concerned about how quickly the buffering system works. Will I miss shots or does the D7000 keep up enough to be adequate to capture 5-8 frames at a time when shooting osprey, eagles, herons, etc. Does the type of SD card make a difference? Thanks for any comments.

Phil

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 and Flying Birds
dankeny Gold Member
25th Jul 2011
photphil Silver Member
26th Jul 2011
dm1dave Administrator
26th Jul 2011
photphil Silver Member
26th Jul 2011
km6xz Moderator
26th Jul 2011
photphil Silver Member
26th Jul 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
26th Jul 2011
km6xz Moderator
26th Jul 2011
photphil Silver Member
27th Jul 2011
jamtins Silver Member
27th Jul 2011
27th Jul 2011
photphil Silver Member
27th Jul 2011
28th Jul 2011

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Mon 25-Jul-11 09:31 PM
1496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Roland, US

D7000 will do just fine. Pro bodies may drive screw driver lenses faster, but for BIF you really should have SWM. The lens matters most with BIF. Fast glass is one issue and SWM is another. The trouble with BIF is you really need it all: fast aperture, AFS and good reach. That combination is formula for expensive.

David

photphil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2004Tue 26-Jul-11 12:24 AM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 1

Sidney, US

Thanks for the quick response, David. My 300mm is an older model with the screw drive so I hope to replace it soon with either the 300mm AFS or whatever else Nikon may have in the near future. Supposedly, there is a update coming for the 80-400mm-have to wait and see whether or not it will be a good lens for birding. I'd love to have a 500mm f/4 but that's not realistic for me. The higher ISO capability on the D7000 will be a great asset with a lens that's more affordable, like the 300mm f/4.
I'll give the D7000 some serious consideration.

Phil

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 26-Jul-11 02:02 AM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 26-Jul-11 02:08 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

If your bursts are short (fewer than 10 frames) and you can wait a bit for the next burst then the D7000 will be fine.

The D7000 buffer holds 11 shots (12 bit Lossless Compressed RAW) or 10 shots (14 bit Lossless Compressed RAW.)Here is a good discussion covering the D7000 buffer size and settings.

I am primarily a wildlife shooter, lots of eagles in-flight, and for me the D7000 buffer is inadequate.

I can easily shoot bursts up to the limit of the D300s buffer of 18 shots (I can usully get 20 shots @ 7FPS before the camera slows using a fast card) 12 bit Lossless compressed RAW. It is also not unusual for me to shoot bursts of 8-10 shots and immediately begin another burst while the buffer is still clearing.

I would be endlessly frustrated with an 11 shot buffer limit at 6 FPS.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

photphil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2004Tue 26-Jul-11 01:23 PM
#4. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 3

Sidney, US

Dave,
Thank you for a detailed and very specific answer about the D7000 that really clarifies what the camera can do. While I doubt I've ever shot a burst of longer than 8-10 frames it could make a difference in what I can capture. I'm hoping that there will several choices for a new body in the coming months-D7000, D300s, or a new model(D400?). Won't be an easy decision.

Phil

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 26-Jul-11 03:19 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

If you want the highest image file data quality, your choice will probably be the D400 when it comes out because the D300 is really slow, 2.5 fps at 14 bit, while the D7000 is 6fps. The D400 should be better all the way around for birders. We'll know soon, the D4 and D400 are rumored to be announced in the next month or so.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

photphil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2004Tue 26-Jul-11 09:03 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 5

Sidney, US

Stan,
Yes, I've been following the rumors about a new camera in late August. Hopefully it will be priced within reach. I suspect it won't be available for a few months after the announcement.
Also noticed your call sign KM6XZ
73 de N1IFP

Phil

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 26-Jul-11 10:03 PM
3322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 26-Jul-11 10:04 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

I have a D7000 and use it for BIF with either a 70-200 f/2.8 + x1.7 Nikon teleconverter or my 300mm f4 with a x1.4 TC, both work well although the 70-200 with the x1.7 has the edge.

Buffering is a bit slow and I agree with Stan that the D400 (whenever) should be a much better bet then a D7000. The D7000 is an extremely capable camera for birding. The raptors I mainly capture like Buzzards, sparrow hawks etc. are taken mainly whilst hovereing and pose few problems to me. However and as Dave has mentioned, fast raptors do demand a much superior fps.

I look forward to the D400 whenever it comes, but I'm not catching a cold as I did with the D7000. By that I mean, I'll wait 6 months after launch, allow all the good folks on the forums to sort out all the quirks and learning that a new Nikon entails and watch the price reduce by about 20%.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 26-Jul-11 10:28 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Phil
The rumors are getting more solid and consistent from higher sources. IF...big if...the rumors are true from about as close of an insider as there is who is not under a NDA is Thom Hogan. His argument suggests that August 3rd will be a major announcement with a mirrorless 2.5-2.7 crop sensor, and D400 with the new Sony sensor that is going into the Sony A77 available in the fall. That sensor is a 1.5 crop 24 mpx that uses binning to combine more than one photosite for each pixel. Projected price for the D400 is pegged at $1800.
Binning is something that Nikon has used a number of times in the past and can add a lot of flexibility...high res or low noise in the same chip.

Yes, call letters are pretty distinctive and are picked out of the general noise of text on everything from auto license plates to screen names. It is my longest running hobby, licensed first in 1958 at 9 year old. I listen and experiment but do not operate much anymore due to poor antenna options in the city center. If i ever move back to the US it will be a far rural area where the land is cheap, and where a large antenna farm can be created..probably off the grid.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

photphil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2004Wed 27-Jul-11 11:42 PM
#11. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 8

Sidney, US

Stan,
Yes-anxious to see the announcement next month. I appreciate your comments.

Great to hear about your amateur radio history. My dad was also a ham-K1HXB but I waited until I was 40 before I got licensed. Then I used the radio in my elementary classroom for about 15 years. We did a space shuttle contact in '94 on 2 meters-most exciting thing to do with a group of kids. HF, esp. 17 meters, is still my favorite band.
Phil

Phil

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Wed 27-Jul-11 01:14 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Meadow Heights, AU

Hi Phil,

I moved from a D200 for BIF to the D7000. Bought one as soon as available. I used to use an 80-400mm, but it really is too slow focus. No matter how clever the camera, it will be limited by the af speed.

My workaround is a F4-300mm with a 1.4 TC. 420 at F.56. The results are sharp. Really sharp. Often I wonder why I still bother to carry around the 500 f4.
It is a great lens to handhold, it works a treat at 800ISO and gives me good dof at f/8-11, as well as good shutter speeds.
The speed of acquisition of focus doesn't seem to be impaired by the TC 1.4 I also have a 1.7, but it does slow down acquisition.

Most of my BIF are raptors, or occasionally water birds. I don't have good enough technique for smaller birds.
Also I am able to fill the frame as much as possible, but that helps no matter what camera or lens.

Yes, the D7000 is up to the challenge.

DJ

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 27-Jul-11 04:06 PM
3322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 9

Dyserth, GB

<<I used to use an 80-400mm, but it really is too slow focus.>>

I agree with everything that DJ says. My 80-400mm is now up for sale as it is just too slow for BIF and in my personal opinion does not work well with the D7000 for some reason. A great lens, but well passed it's use by date, if only it had AF-S, now that would make some lens.

Yep, the 300mm f4 is a very versatile lens and with it's close focusing is suitable for butterflies and bugs at 4ft 8ins without disturbing them. With all wildlife or BIF photography the more you can fit in the frame the better. It is easy to overstretch the distance in the hope of capturing a sharp image and then being disappointed with the results.

So, in short my D7000 combined with the 300mm f4 and 70-200 f2.8 + teleconverters does everthing I want very well. Mind you I'd love to try a 500mm f/4 DJ

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

photphil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2004Wed 27-Jul-11 11:50 PM
#12. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 10

Sidney, US

Hi DJ and Richard,
Thanks for your input about the D7000. I am glad to hear how well it works and how much you enjoy using it with a telephoto. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a new 300 f/4,, but will wait a bit in case another lens is announced this year. It sounds like either choice, D7000 or D400 will be a great jump from the D200. Looking forward to a new one!

Phil

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 28-Jul-11 11:03 AM
#13. "RE: D7000 and Flying Birds"
In response to Reply # 12

Dyserth, GB

I suppose like everyone it'll be down to cost as much as what the new D300s can do. Looking at it and if Stan's pricing guess is correct, initially the difference will be about 30-40% more than a current priced D7000. On the basis that the D7000 dropped about 20-25% after 6 months, then hopefully the D300s will do the same. If so I certainly would then consider it. In any event I'm sure either camera will be a considerable jump up from the D200 good as it was and still is.

Time will tell.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11006 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.