Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10905
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can you use two different class SD cards at once?" Previous topic | Next topic
Wapusk Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Sep 2007Mon 18-Jul-11 07:28 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can you use two different class SD cards at once?"

Brantford, CA

I noticed when I put a Class 2 card in one slot and a Class 6 card in the other slot that the green light stayed on. Usually I use both card slots with matched cards but this is what happened this time. I have the camera set for RAW in slot one and JPG in slot 2.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 18-Jul-11 07:47 PM
1390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can you use two different class SD cards at once?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

No reason it won't work.

Whether or not they can 'keep up' with you is another matter.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011Tue 19-Jul-11 12:25 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can you use two different class SD cards at once?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mechanicsville, US

The slowest card will have the most effect. It's best to have both cards the same speed. I have read that the camera can only write as fast as the slowest card will allow. I currently have a class 6 and a class 10 (30mb per second) and the slow card is really slowing down the writes, especially with RAW. The lite stay on for maybe 5-7 seconds if it take 3 frames quickly with just the class 6 card in or both cars in. With just the class 10 card in it clears the buffer in about 2 seconds, when I take 3 or 4 frames quickly. Hope this helps.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -
Ansel Adams

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. -
Ansel Adams

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 21-Jul-11 11:57 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can you use two different class SD cards at once?"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

If I use mismatched cards, I put the faster one in the 2nd slot.
Still shots go to the 1st card and overflow when it is full.
Video is set up to write to the 2nd card.

Wapusk Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Sep 2007Fri 22-Jul-11 02:24 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Can you use two different class SD cards at once?"
In response to Reply # 3

Brantford, CA

Great advice! I will do that. Thanks to all for their responses. I will try to keep to using matched cards. But every now and then I only have mismatched cards to use.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10905 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.