Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10883
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists" Previous topic | Next topic
kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 17-Jul-11 09:42 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"

US

There is a big charity bike ride coming up in my area next month. I know several riders who are participating and would like to capture some shots of them riding.

My plan would be to scout the route ahead of time to look for appropriate and safe locations to park by the roadside and shoot handheld. Right now, I'm thinking of using my 70-300 VR or possibly the 18-105 VR. I would acquire the subjects as they approached at distance, half-press to engage VR lock, and release in a short burst of three or so exposures as they begin to fill the frame. It's a long ride, so I might even be able to drive ahead and make more than one attempt.

Continuous focus mode is a given, but what other settings in the (a) Autofocus menu would you recommend? All input is appreciated, but if you have experience with similar subject matter, your thoughts would be especially noted.

One of the riders is actually a neighbor around the corner, so I can test any settings with his help along our residential street. But, I'd like a few suggestions to start with.

Any additional thoughts about my lens choices? Would a 50mm or 60mm prime be too limiting?

Much thanks in advance.

Kent

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists
dm1dave Administrator
18th Jul 2011
PAStime Silver Member
18th Jul 2011
kentak Silver Member
18th Jul 2011
PAStime Silver Member
18th Jul 2011
kentak Silver Member
18th Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
22nd Jul 2011
kentak Silver Member
22nd Jul 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
23rd Jul 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Jul 2011
mikeon
22nd Jul 2011
kentak Silver Member
22nd Jul 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
22nd Jul 2011
kentak Silver Member
22nd Jul 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
25th Jul 2011
kentak Silver Member
26th Jul 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
27th Jul 2011

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 18-Jul-11 12:16 AM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

The default setting in the Autofocus menu will be fine.

The only thing I would do differently then you are suggesting is that I would use Dynamic Area AF set to 9 points.

If you can get in some practice try both single point AF and Dynamic Area AF.

"I would acquire the subjects as they approached at distance, half-press to engage VR lock, and release in a short burst of three or so exposures as they begin to fill the frame."

That is exactly how I would approach this situation.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 18-Jul-11 01:57 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 18-Jul-11 01:59 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hi. A subject moving toward the camera is a tough job for the camera to auto focus. Consider shooting at f8 or f11 or the likes so the added depth of field can make up for imperfect focusing. Just make sure this closed down aperture isn't causing the shutter speed to be too slow to freeze action. VR may not be relevant if it is a bright day and you are shooting at 1/500s or higher speed. If you want to have fun try some shots like the first one below. These are often more visually appealing than shots like the second one below. Peter

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 18-Jul-11 04:14 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for the suggestions, Peter. I think experimentation prior to the event is definitely a good idea (as always when shooting less routine situations). My neighbor wanted some bike shots for his rider profile page anyway, so that would be a good opportunity to try different settings if he'll indulge me. I'm leaning toward using M mode to keep a healthy depth of focus and sufficient shutter speed, with auto-ISO enabled to take care of the exposure. In my area at the end of August, there's a good chance for clear or cloudy-bright skies. Either that or thunder storms. I also hope to scout out a few nice rural spots with picturesque backgrounds to avoid urban clutter.

Also, I get your point about VR possibly not helping much at the higher shutter speeds, but I'm wondering if having the subject stabilized would assist the autofocus system in finding and tracking focus. Seems logical to me, but don't know if that would be true in practice.

Kent

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 18-Jul-11 04:42 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 3

Kingston, CA

Hi.

I would think that yes, VR may help with composition, metering, and focusing.

I haven't tried M mode with auto ISO. Must do that someday soon!

Cheers,
Peter

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 18-Jul-11 04:15 PM
#4. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the response, Dave. I'll definitely try out some of those ideas beforehand.

Kent

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 22-Jul-11 04:15 AM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 22-Jul-11 03:14 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I am thinking that a head on shot might actually be easier for a beginner as you will have a little more time to lock focus.
Panning skills usually require a lot of practice.
Get out on a Highway and practice on fast moving cars, bicycles will be easy after that.
I shoot continuous AutoFocus Spot metering and single spot (usually the center one).
I also use Auto ISO 6400 with minimum 640 shutter speed.
I use my AE-L/AF-L button to focus (set for AF-ON) and usually turn off the VR to speed up the lens.
Aperture priority usually wide open, but f/8 with some of the DX lens.
I've found the D7000 better than any other camera for this shot.

cropped and saved at only 60% to meet forum requirements.

The Riders slow down just before the crest of a hill.
choose a good background.
Try to shoot with the sun at your back.
Carry a folding chair such as those canvas camp ones,
and if hot a folding attachable umbrella.
Getting low give the picture better perspective.

Look in my Nikonians Galleries for Twilight Ride

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 22-Jul-11 07:57 PM
#9. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Roger. Thanks for the great suggestions. I enjoyed your pics.

I'm not really a beginner, but certainly am beginning with this camera. Of all the features of these techno-marvel cameras I've had to learn since my first DSLR (D90) a little over a year ago, the best use of which autofocus settings has been the most challenging. And, even more so with the D7000.

I was perusing the profile pages of the riders I am following, and was suddenly struck with the realization that one of the profile pics was one I had taken *decades* ago. I'm not even sure it was taken with a Nikon. I processed and printed the BW image in my darkroom and gave him a print as a memento of his triathlon. I was actually able to find the negative in a binder after all these years. I scanned it on flatbed with a negative carrier. It's not really a full-fledged neg scanner, but the results were okay. The neg was really flat and needed a good deal of contrast help with Aperture3. Oh, I took it from the passenger seat of a car, so very different from my planned shoot.

You can view the profile picture here:
http://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_profile.jsp?MemberID=4677&SearchStart=1300&PAGING

Feel free to donate.

Kent

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 23-Jul-11 01:38 AM
#12. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 6

Kingston, CA

Roger,

On that first shot of the rider on the ATV: it doesn't look that sharp to me, and I don't think it is JPG compression. The foliage in the background looks sharpest. I see from the EXIF that the lens was at infinity focus. I only point this out because your message was about how to achieve good focus of moving subjects - that isn't perhaps the best example! Your advice is still good though in my view

I like the shot though, and really like the perspective of the second one, with the cyclists coming into view.

Cheers,
Peter

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 23-Jul-11 03:01 AM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 23-Jul-11 03:36 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>Roger,
>
>On that first shot of the rider on the ATV: it doesn't look
>that sharp to me,
>Cheers,
>Peter

You are right about the Quad. I should not have post haste.
Here is a better one:

It took me a while to find my bicycle photos.
We have not shot any bike Events since getting a D7000

On that second shot it looks like they are riding in water
but it was very hot and dry that day so that might be vapor off the asphalt.
Anyway, a cool effect I thought.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 23-Jul-11 10:44 AM
#14. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 13

Kingston, CA

>Here is a better one:

Good one!
Peter

mikeon Registered since 01st Oct 2004Fri 22-Jul-11 07:23 AM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 22-Jul-11 07:25 AM by mikeon

Örebro, SE

As dm1dave suggests I would also recommend continous focus (AF-C) and Dynamic Focus Area of 9 points. An alternativ if the riders have very different colors you could also test the 3D Focus Area (all 39 points used). Maybe not working if many cyclists have similar colors. I have at least found it very good for single object as photo below:

(click in the picture for larger view)

/Mikael
-----------------------
D800 & D7000 user (Sweden)

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 22-Jul-11 08:13 PM
#10. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thank you, Mikael. I'll give those a settings a try when I do some experimenting.

Kent

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Fri 22-Jul-11 09:04 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>My plan would be to scout the route ahead of time to look for appropriate and safe locations to park by the roadside and
>shoot handheld. Right now, I'm thinking of using my 70-300 VR or possibly the 18-105 VR. I would acquire the subjects as
>they approached at distance, half-press to engage VR lock, and release in a short burst of three or so exposures as they
>begin to fill the frame.
Add to this scout for locations where the faces are unlikely to be in deep shadow (or use fill flash) and choose a place where the riders are going slower and trying hard on a hill climb.
This is not a charity ride - but indicates a picture either of the 2 front riders might want as a momento.
A detail you did not mention is to take shots at different zoom settings to get different crops.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 22-Jul-11 08:15 PM
#11. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Good points, Len. This 100 mile ride will definitely have some hills. And, probably have the best scenery at those points, too.

Kent

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 25-Jul-11 08:47 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 11

Yorkshire, GB

>This 100 mile ride will definitely have some hills. And, probably have the best scenery at those points, too.
100 miles is a long way on a cycle - especially for the not so fit riding for charity.
I would try to find a location in the first 30 miles. By 100 miles the less experienced could be 2 hours behind the leaders,

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 26-Jul-11 04:13 AM
#16. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Point taken. The ride offers "legs" of 25, 43, 102, and 180 miles, so riders can choose the distance that matches their fitness and training level. The 180 mile ride is two days.

The folks I'm tracking are doing the 102 mile ride, which is why I mentioned that. They are all experienced and have been training and will continue to do so.

I will try to find a location, as you suggested, maybe 30-40 miles out. Then I'll drive on to the end of the ride to catch the happy moment.

That's the plan, anyway.

Kent

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 27-Jul-11 08:53 PM
#17. "RE: Focus settings for oncoming bicyclists"
In response to Reply # 16

Yorkshire, GB

>The folks I'm tracking are doing the 102 mile ride, which is why I mentioned that.
You obviously know them, so you could ask them their likely average speed to help being in the right place at the right time.
If they are fit as distinct from going at racing speed 18 mph plus food stops might be about right - about 6 hours "on the road".
If they are less fit 12 mph is a possibility - about 11 hours on the road.

Len Shepherd

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10883 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.