Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10821
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Quality" Previous topic | Next topic
mikesrc Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Wed 13-Jul-11 01:36 AM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Quality"

OKLAHOMA CITY, US

I hate to admit that I'm wrong,,,but I am. The D7000 is head and shoulders above the D700. Let the fight start. When I first got this camera I could not get it to focus worth a ####. Now after working with it for 3 weeks I can now say it is a LOT better than my D700. I have a standard set of shot I like to take to see how a camera works and this thing is as good as it gets. D700 is gone down the road 28-300 gone down the road. This body and lens is half the weight of the D700 kit and takes better pictures. I must say it is more complex than any thing I've ever owned but it sure is good once I started to figure it out.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Quality
JReh
13th Jul 2011
dgs2
13th Jul 2011
mikesrc Silver Member
13th Jul 2011
JReh
13th Jul 2011
mikesrc Silver Member
14th Jul 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
15th Jul 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
15th Jul 2011
NASattack Silver Member
16th Jul 2011
mikesrc Silver Member
23rd Jul 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th Jul 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
25th Jul 2011
mel_klim Silver Member
25th Jul 2011
FFN Platinum Member
26th Jul 2011

JReh Registered since 23rd Jun 2011Wed 13-Jul-11 07:32 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that you did to make the focusing come up to your standards. I'm new to the dslr world and just got my d7k a few weeks ago. Needless to say, there is an awful lot I have to learn. Thanks.

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Wed 13-Jul-11 08:37 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 1

San Francisco, US

I second the request for tips on what you learned. I had some trouble early on with focus and would like to know what settings you use.

dgs

mikesrc Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Wed 13-Jul-11 09:36 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 2

OKLAHOMA CITY, US

I have been using the program mode more than the auto mode. I set the front wheel so I can adjust the ISO quickly. I try to shoot at the lowest ISO as possible, makes better pictures. Only use high ISO when in low light stuff. In the Scene mode I set it to Sports and leave it there. That way if I'm shooting a ball game or something like that the camera shoots as fast as possible as needed. I use the single point focus. The auto, 3D, 21 point, Etc stuff makes me and the camera not work like I want it to. That's the way I used My D200. Set the color to Vivid and saturation to +3 and the colors come out looking like I WANT. BRIGHT. I have owned this camera less that a month and I find the menus very complex. Nikon needs to make a smart camera for us stupid folks.I'm 74 years old and enrolled in a couple of photo classes this fall just to figure this thing out!!!

JReh Registered since 23rd Jun 2011Wed 13-Jul-11 09:43 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks alot. I'll give those settings a try and see if I get better results.

mikesrc Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Thu 14-Jul-11 02:14 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 4

OKLAHOMA CITY, US

Just uploaded a couple Flower pictures I took yesterday. The color is dead spot on to what my eye saw.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 15-Jul-11 07:30 AM
3326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, GB

<The D7000 is head and shoulders above the D700. Let the fight start>

No fight, but certainly a contentious point. Those that know me on the forum will know of my torturous journey trying to master focus on my D7K last winter. Master the D7K I did and it is, like the D90 before it, a great camera which meets my needs for Birds in Flight and wildlife and that is what I use it almost exclusively for. I use ISO's up to 1200 at times and regulate the small amount of noise via Lightroom 3. So, yes I'm happy but....

The D700 is a different beast, It's full frame, it has the older expeed processor, lesser pixels and I mostly use it for vastly different genres of photography (portrait, landscape, architectural) and yes I occasionally use it for wildlife when I don't need extra reach. When it comes to low light work and the effects of high ISO's it's on its own. If I really want to get the best results from my pro lenses then the D700 is the chosen camera. As good as the D7K is, it's not a D700 and in my view it will never be. In fact it couldn't be more different. I can't ever see me trading in the D700 for its inevitable upgrade, whereas the D7K will almost definitely will be traded as technology advances to meet the needs of my principle genre of photography.

In short, I really don't think that comparing the two cameras is a fair comparison.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Fri 15-Jul-11 07:14 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>The D7000 is head and shoulders above the D700.
I would put it differently.
Each camera is best for some purposes.
For price and image detail the D7000 wins - but not for buffer etc.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

NASattack Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2008Sat 16-Jul-11 06:53 PM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 16-Jul-11 06:55 PM by NASattack

Dartford, GB

D7000 = more reach than the D700.................................................................................. "You have much to learn, Grasshopper".

mikesrc Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Sat 23-Jul-11 08:48 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 8

OKLAHOMA CITY, US

I may have much to learn , but I just took series of pictures of my little Yorkie and they are far, far better than anything I ever shot with my D700 and the same lens. Far better!!! I was setting here messing around and wanted to see how fast the buffer would fill up shooting CS the shots are as good as any I've ever taken and I was just messing around. Man this camera is good. Today was shooting the D7000, 50mm 1.4D and an SB400. Great light weight combo!!! I'm ready to go on vacation.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 24-Jul-11 01:41 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 9

Chicago, US

The D7000 has a smaller sensor so the apparent focal length of the lens has changed and you have a viewfinder 1/2 the size of the D700. The change in the apparent focal length makes hand holding more demanding and the smaller viewfinder makes it harder to see the details.

The choice of camera also depends upon what you shoot.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 25-Jul-11 07:28 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 10

Yorkshire, GB

>you have a viewfinder 1/2 the size of the D700.
Not exactly so.
The D7000 viewfinder is 0.94x magnification. The D3/700 is approx 0.7x.
The apparent size through the viewfinder (long dimension) is around 22.5 mm for the D7000 and 25.2 mm for the FX options - about 12.5% difference.
The DX viewfinder is about 1 stop brighter - though you may need low light levels to see the difference.
Overall I prefer the brighter viewfinder of my D7000/300s to my D3s.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

mel_klim Silver Member Charter MemberMon 25-Jul-11 06:35 PM
755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

The D700 is a 3 year old camera and the D800 will be out sometime in the near future. Would the D800 be better than the D7000? I would hope so.

FFN Platinum Member Charter MemberTue 26-Jul-11 04:41 PM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 Quality"
In response to Reply # 0

Hudson, US

Mike,

From another old guy, I have to agree that the image quality from my D7000 seems to exceed my D700. While the D700 is faster to focus and shoot, particularly in low light and even more particularly when using $igma lenses in low light. The kit lens is incredible as well.

Visit MudbrookPhoto.Com.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10821 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.