Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10768
View in linear mode

Subject: "What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?" Previous topic | Next topic
jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Mon 11-Jul-11 03:49 AM
695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"

Banning, US

What is the range of shutter speeds where the Mirror Up function is needed to control vibration from mirror slap? Does the range vary with the focal length of the lens?

I use a D7000 and a D300. I do mostly landscape and other outdoor shots at f8 to f11 on tripod with a remote cable release and often use a polarizer which cuts down on shutter speed.

I hear that the D7000 generates more mirror slap than the D300?

Thanks,

Jerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?
KnightPhoto Gold Member
11th Jul 2011
mjhach Silver Member
26th Jan 2012
jrp Administrator
11th Jul 2011
jerry r Silver Member
11th Jul 2011
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
11th Jul 2011
jerry r Silver Member
12th Jul 2011
Robman3
11th Jul 2011
blw Moderator
11th Jul 2011
jerry r Silver Member
11th Jul 2011
ericbowles Moderator
11th Jul 2011
billD80 Silver Member
11th Jul 2011

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 11-Jul-11 05:15 AM
4215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Not my area of expertise, i.e. tripods and landscape. But I think the core danger zone where lockup is especially important is something like 1/60 second down to 1 second - correct?

It will be interesting to hear from others, for example at faster speeds 1/125 and up and/or longer lenses.

I do a lot of bird photography at 500 and 850mm. I am generally, for a perched or walking bird, having good results at 1/800 and 1/1000 second without mirror up and without a remote release. Platform is a mix of tripod, balanced on car window, monopod, or elbows.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 26-Jan-12 03:16 AM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 1

Simcoe, CA

I think it was you who shot some plovers in this Forum displayed. I'm trying to find it again to see which lens you used for such clear shot. If you can find these can you please send me the info. mjhach@gmail.com

Thanks.

Or repost them or reference the posting again.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 11-Jul-11 09:30 AM
34295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Jul-11 09:34 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

For landscape? All the time, regardless of shutter speed!
I already have my brain engaged on composition, exposure, hyperfocal distance, ND Grads and those I wish could be there with me.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Mon 11-Jul-11 03:23 PM
695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 2

Banning, US

JRP, thanks for your response.

As a general rule I do use mirror up all the time when on the tripod.

However, there are times when the wind is blowing shrubs and nearby trees around and I want to be able to better time a lull in the wind to not have to deal with mirror up if I don't have to.

Jerry

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Mon 11-Jul-11 06:18 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

"However, there are times when the wind is blowing shrubs and nearby trees around and I want to be able to better time a lull in the wind to not have to deal with mirror up if I don't have to."

I don't find that using mirror up interferes with spontaneity. When I use MUP (which I do frequently with very long lenses for nesting birds), I tend to lock the mirror up and leave it up waiting for interesting activity to capture before I release the shutter and then lock the mirror up again. I'll just watch the nest without looking through the viewfinder and at times with the assistance of binoculars. Often, MUP will time out and just release on it's own, so I just lock it up again and continue to wait for a good shot.

Visit my gallery.

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Tue 12-Jul-11 04:20 AM
#10. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 8

Banning, US

Yes, I do that occasionally too with some subjects. With others though, I need to see the relationships in the viewfinder.

Jerry

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Mon 11-Jul-11 06:32 PM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 2

West of Santa Monica, US

Thanks!

Somehow that was what I surmised would be the top down answer.

Rob

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 11-Jul-11 11:06 AM
26574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Needed? That depends on focal length, support system and technique. If you're shooting with a 4.5/f2.8 circular fisheye, it probably does not matter - ever - if you use Mup. If you're shooting at 200mm, especially if the lens in question is a big beast such as the 200/f2 or 70-200/f2.8, you would do well to use Mup for the danger zone between about 1/60th and about 1 sec. On the other hand, if you tripod is made out of granite, perhaps it doesn't mean so much. The longer the focal length, the more it magnifies everything - including the subject, your technique and mirror slap. It is definitely possible to see the impact of mirror slap on an 800mm at speeds as high as 1/200th. And it may be higher than that, but I just don't notice since the vast majority of the shots I personally shoot with a big lens at those shutter speeds include a lot of motion anyway.

I have no idea if the D7000 has more mirror slap than a D300. Generally speaking it stands to reason that FX is more susceptible to this than DX, since the mirrors (and shutter curtains) are two and a half times larger.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Mon 11-Jul-11 03:26 PM
#5. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 11-Jul-11 03:28 PM by jerry r

Banning, US

Brian, thanks for the specifics. Yes, I don't worry about mirror up with my fish eye.

I rarely shoot above 200mm, even though I have lens going to 400mm. You feel that in this range then than 1 sec to 1/60th is about the range that mirror up is a must for sharp photos?

There is an article on dp review inferring that the range is more like 4" to 1/125th. This is far broader than I have read any place else. I use a Gitzo 2541 with a RRS BH-40 and a remote release for landscape.

Jerry

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 11-Jul-11 04:08 PM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

The idea for using mirror lock-up is that mirror slap causes a small amount of vibration which can be avoided. In the case of fast shutter speeds the need for mirror lockup declines. It is most problematic at shutter speeds under 1/15 sec. Mirror slap settles relatively quickly, so once you get a really long shutter speed it makes relatively little difference. Around 2 seconds is typically long enough that you no longer need mirror lock-up. In both cases, you have a range of situations where mirror slap might have some impact but it is relatively small.

Focal length and specific lens design matter. I have a Tamron 200-500 that needs long lens technique or mirror lockup to avoid vibration even at 1/500 sec or faster as the lens is very long and vibration seems to be magnified. My Nikon 300 f/4 has no such problem even with a 1.7 teleconverter. Long Lens Technique with a hand over the lens barrel is more effective than mirror lockup for wildlife photography since you want to see your subject. It can work for other situations as well, but not as well with really slow shutter speeds where you might move the camera.

The need for mirror lockup is more important with light weight gear, or with setups that have a long light lens without a lens foot. For example, at 200mm an 18-200 is more likely to have a mirror slap issue than a 70-200. Macro photography is another situation where mirror lockup can be very important regardless of focal length or shutter speed. You can often look through the viewfinder and observe vibration caused by mirror slap.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 11-Jul-11 05:37 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What shutter speeds need Mirror Up?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I've used mirror-up whenever I'm on a tripod because it can't hurt... The D7000 shutter is one of the silkiest I've ever felt, so I'd be very surprised if its mirror-slap was worse than any camera, let alone a D300.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10768 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.