Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10765
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF-on button" Previous topic | Next topic
alanwk Registered since 08th Aug 2006Mon 11-Jul-11 01:05 AM
220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF-on button"

Oklahoma City, US

Anyone using the ae-l/af-l button as the af-on button? I wish it was a little closer to the shutter button.

Best Regards, Alan

A Texas Nikonian in Oklahoma

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: AF-on button
wmcy Gold Member
11th Jul 2011
briantilley Moderator
11th Jul 2011
mborn1 Silver Member
11th Jul 2011
output555 Silver Member
11th Jul 2011
redbike
11th Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
14th Jul 2011
DocPMD
11th Jul 2011
adcam Gold Member
11th Jul 2011
GroovyGeek
17th Jul 2011
JReh
11th Jul 2011
fivehitsweak
13th Jul 2011
mdallie Silver Member
17th Jul 2011
Porceliamone Silver Member
17th Jul 2011
fivehitsweak
18th Jul 2011
winclk
18th Jul 2011
Porceliamone Silver Member
18th Jul 2011
gbowen Gold Member
24th Jul 2011
gbowen Gold Member
24th Jul 2011
wmcy Gold Member
24th Jul 2011
gbowen Gold Member
25th Jul 2011
trailgirl
26th Jul 2011
gbowen Gold Member
26th Jul 2011
trailgirl
26th Jul 2011
gbowen Gold Member
26th Jul 2011
winclk
26th Jul 2011
chuckji
12th Dec 2011
volvoswede Silver Member
26th Jul 2011
winclk
26th Jul 2011
Ob1chubster
10th Dec 2011
km6xz Moderator
10th Dec 2011
gbowen Gold Member
11th Dec 2011
cosmicfires Silver Member
10th Dec 2011
plaiditude
12th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Dec 2011
km6xz Moderator
12th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Dec 2011

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Mon 11-Jul-11 05:07 AM
794 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

Charlotte, US

>Anyone using the ae-l/af-l button as the af-on button? I wish
>it was a little closer to the shutter button.

Alan,

I do use the rear button and I've grown to really like it. It did take some getting use to it though. It gets much better over time.

Wm.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 11-Jul-11 08:21 AM
28744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I do use the AF-ON button only to activate AF on my cameras, and would use AE-L/AF-L in that way if I used a D7000

Regarding positioning, the button needs to be somewhere it can be reached by a different digit from that which presses the shutter release. It is necessary to press both at the same time when tracking a moving subject. The current location works well for me.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Mon 11-Jul-11 10:51 AM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

Taunton, US

It is what I use My thumb for focusing and my index finger for shutter release. I have all my Nikon configured this way

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Mon 11-Jul-11 11:18 AM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Jul-11 11:19 AM by output555

US

> I wish it was a little closer to the shutter button.

I'm left-handed, imagine how hard it is for me to reach either button!

redbike Registered since 22nd Aug 2010Mon 11-Jul-11 08:22 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 11-Jul-11 08:23 PM by redbike

Edmonton, CA

>> I wish it was a little closer to the shutter button.
>
>I'm left-handed, imagine how hard it is for me to reach either
>button!
>
I'm a southpaw too, and I find the placement of the button is just right. My left hand supports the camera, and right hand index finger goes to the shutter and thumb to the AF enabled button: perfect!! The biggest obstacle was to remember that the shutter button no longer handles focus duties.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 14-Jul-11 02:48 AM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 14-Jul-11 02:52 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>> I wish it was a little closer to the shutter button.

>

Get a D5100
It is so close that I often hit the information edit button (past it) instead.

The D7000 button is perfect for me, but everyone has a different size/shape hand.

That is why I always say to get "hands on" before deciding on a camera.

DocPMD Registered since 17th Jun 2011Mon 11-Jul-11 03:58 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I use it for AF-ON, too. I really like that functionality, but the button is in an awkward position for me. I've gotten somewhat used to it after a few hundred shots.

Phil

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Mon 11-Jul-11 06:47 PM
585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

I agree. It is directly above the Liveview button and I have hit the Liveview many a time.

GroovyGeek Registered since 17th Jul 2011Sun 17-Jul-11 12:53 AM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 6

Portland, US

>I agree. It is directly above the Liveview button and I have
>hit the Liveview many a time.

Same here, I use AF-ON whenever I am on a tripod (never got used to it handheld) and I too have at times mixed it up with LV.

JReh Registered since 23rd Jun 2011Mon 11-Jul-11 10:26 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

US

When using AF-ON, does it continue to refocus until you release the button, at which time it locks? Does it hold the focus during multiple shots of the same scene or is it necessary refocus after each shot? I just got my D7k and haven't had much time to play yet.

fivehitsweak Registered since 21st Jun 2011Wed 13-Jul-11 12:10 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 8

AU

I am left handed and the biggest issue for me was learning to use my right eye for the viewfinder instead of my left eye. If I use my left eye then my face gets in the way of the AF/AE button. AF-on is great though.

To answer your question, it will continue to acquire focus if the AF/AE button is depressed, providing you have your Auto-Focus set to AF-S mode and if you take your finger off the button then the last point that was focused is essentially locked. This is the big plus for me when using AF-ON, no refocusing every time I depress the shutter button!!

Cheers,

Ben

An English man in rural Australia.

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sun 17-Jul-11 11:36 AM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 9

Novi, US

I use it with single point focus and really like it. I was having quite a bit of problem until I made the switch.

Yes, sometimes I hit live view by mistake.

Mike

Porceliamone Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jul 2011Sun 17-Jul-11 04:59 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 12

GB

I think the button is ideally placed for my hands although I'm still getting my head around how useful it is.

Can anyone enlighten me? Is it not the same as focussing on the point you want using standard autofocus, holding the shutter half down to maintain that point of focus, recompossing as necessary and then taking the shot?

Or could it be said that in some shooting situations you need to absolutely maintain one set point of focus regardless of composition and snap away; therefore it really helps with that?

fivehitsweak Registered since 21st Jun 2011Mon 18-Jul-11 09:45 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 13

AU

In a way it is a question of personal preference, I have been using AF-ON for about 3 weeks now and I am still un-decided as to weather I will use it all the time. Its advantages go something like this though;

You can leave the camera in AF-C mode, and still use auto-focus as if you were in AF-S mode. You simply press the AE/AF button until the point you want to be in focus is focused and then release the button. The focus is now "locked" to that point leaving you free to re-compose, adjust exposure, have a cup of tea etc. You couldn't achieve this with focus slaved to the shutter button and the camera in AF-C mode because if you release the shutter button, re-compose and then depress the shutter button again the camera will re-focus, and if you keep the shutter button depressed then the camera will contunie to focus dynamically as you re-compose the shot.

If you want to use AF-C to track a moving subject then all you have to do is keep the AE/AF button depressed whilst tracking and shoot away. Basically, AF-ON allows you to always shoot in AF-C and very rapidly switch from stationary subjects to moving subjects without having to enter any menus or change any further settings.

AF-ON also saves you battery life by reducing the need for prolonged holding of the shutter button, which engages VR on VR compatiable lenses

I like the fact that I can lock my focus and then shoot multiple exposures of the same scene without having to constantly re-focus, or without having to hold the AE/AF button to lock focus (if it was set to AF-Lock instead of AF-ON), but I do find my self wishing for 2 things. Firstly I miss the "Beep" you get when the camera acquires focus when using the shutter button. Secondy I wish that there was a custom setting for the AE/AF button that was "AF-HOLD" there is an "AE-Hold" which is useful when shooting in A and S modes but I mostly shoot in manual and would rather be able to focus using the shutter button, press the AE/AF button to lock focus (without having to hold it down!!!!!) and then shoot away. I think this would be my perfect set up for the camera. NIKON PLEASE MAKE AN AF-HOLD option for the AE/AF buttin!!!

An English man in rural Australia.

winclk Registered since 15th Jan 2007Mon 18-Jul-11 03:55 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

philadelphia, US

When i press the shutter button my camera will refocus. What am i doing wrong? Am i supposed to hold the af-on button while pressing the shutter button?

Porceliamone Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jul 2011Mon 18-Jul-11 08:56 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon 18-Jul-11 08:57 PM by Porceliamone

GB

If you program the AE/AF L button to AF-ON then absolutely naff all should happen when you press the shutter apart from a frame being shot - the focus is set at the focus point where you originally hit the AF-ON buton, even if you reframe. Make sure (if you're using a D7000) that it's definitely set to AF-ON in the 'controls f5' menu.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 24-Jul-11 10:37 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

If you have an MB-D11 battery grip you can also set the AE/AF button on it to AF-ON. Really nice for portrait shooting. It's under Custom Settings Menu/f Controls/ f10.

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 24-Jul-11 10:48 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 17

Canton, US

Another thing I learned is if you use the AF-ON and you have the AF-S priority selection set to release you can use it as a handy focus lock. Simply push AF-ON once to focus on the subject or area you want to be sharp, release AF-ON, recompose, and shoot. Slick!

George

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Sun 24-Jul-11 11:17 PM
794 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 18

Charlotte, US

George

Excellent information. Thank you.

Wm.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 25-Jul-11 01:24 AM
#20. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 19

Canton, US

It's always fun to learn together and share what you've discovered.

George

trailgirl Registered since 24th Apr 2011Tue 26-Jul-11 04:31 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

US

So to use the button as AF-ON to lock focus and recompose when using AF-C, you have to use AF-C Release Priority rather than Focus Priority, is that correct?

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 26-Jul-11 10:14 AM
#22. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 21
Tue 26-Jul-11 10:55 AM by gbowen

Canton, US

Correct. If you use focus priority your D7K will just stubbornly sit in your hand and do nothing, waiting for you to refocus, which of course you do not want to do. Release priority does not care where you are focusing, or even if you are focused at all. You are telling the camera to release the shutter when you press it, and not wait for input from the AF sensors.

PS. I am wondering why you would use AF-C for shooting something that AF-S is better suited for? I would leave AF-C on focus priority since you usually use that when shooting action. Just my $.02 worth there.

George

trailgirl Registered since 24th Apr 2011Tue 26-Jul-11 01:26 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 22

US

>Correct. If you use focus priority your D7K will just
>stubbornly sit in your hand and do nothing, waiting for you to
>refocus, which of course you do not want to do. Release
>priority does not care where you are focusing, or even if you
>are focused at all. You are telling the camera to release the
>shutter when you press it, and not wait for input from the AF
>sensors.

Yes, that makes sense now.

It is interesting though, if you have the AE-L/AF-L button set to AE/AF lock (or AF lock only), and you pre-focus, lock and recompose it works even if you have Focus Priority set. I wonder what the difference is.

>PS. I am wondering why you would use AF-C for shooting
>something that AF-S is better suited for? I would leave AF-C
>on focus priority since you usually use that when shooting
>action. Just my $.02 worth there.

I was thinking about fivehitsweak's post about leaving the AF-C on, and then using the AF-ON as focus lock for still situations, don't have to change AF-C to AF-S back and forth.

But it's best to have focus priority for AF-C?

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 26-Jul-11 01:46 PM
#24. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 23

Canton, US

>It is interesting though, if you have the AE-L/AF-L button set
>to AE/AF lock (or AF lock only), and you pre-focus, lock and
>recompose it works even if you have Focus Priority set. I
>wonder what the difference is.

The difference is you have to hold down on the AE-L/AF-L button to hold the focus point. With AF-ON you do not. Also AF-ON decouples the shutter release from focus, so there's no possibility of accidently changing your focus point. It's also great for watching VR work to see the optimal time to take a steadier photo.

>I was thinking about fivehitsweak's post about leaving the
>AF-C on, and then using the AF-ON as focus lock for still
>situations, don't have to change AF-C to AF-S back and forth.
>
>
>But it's best to have focus priority for AF-C?

Remember what you use AF-C for. A continuously moving subject 99% of the time, and you will not have the time or dexterity to keep using the AF-ON button to keep changing focus points. AF-ON is mostly for static subjects, or at least slow moving ones.

George

winclk Registered since 15th Jan 2007Tue 26-Jul-11 07:39 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 24

philadelphia, US

Set my D7000 button to af-on. Feels funny using the camera this way but will leave it like this for couple weeks to give myself a real chance to see if i will keep my camera set this way.

chuckji Registered since 25th Jan 2011Mon 12-Dec-11 02:14 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 24

South Lyon, US

Maybe a dumb question, but I've been wondering lately.
What should be done first when capturing an image - lock focus using th AE-L/AF-L, or meter/set VR with the shutter?

volvoswede Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2009Tue 26-Jul-11 06:59 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 0

Boise, US

> I wish it was a little closer to the shutter button.

I recommend thumb-stretching exercises. There are several good ones by Franz Doppler however you must be careful to keep both of your thumbs symmetrical, so I don't know if it's worth the time and effort to do both thumbs. But you could do one and just be a little freaky like Uma Thurman in the movie

winclk Registered since 15th Jan 2007Tue 26-Jul-11 07:42 PM
#27. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 25

philadelphia, US

Volvoswede--- that seems to be my problem. My thumb feels tired froming being stretched. Lol

Ob1chubster Registered since 05th Dec 2011Sat 10-Dec-11 05:07 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 27

GB

I have just got my D7000 and I am trying out the whole back focus malarkey. I can see its advantages but agree the AEL button is just a tad too far - in fact read that as high - for natural thumb placement. For me anyway.

HOPEFULLY Nikon are reading this and they will allow us to assign this to the FN button...pretty please

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 10-Dec-11 08:53 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 28

St Petersburg, RU

Try it a little longer, after a short time it is automatic muscle memory and a time saver.
I do not notice the awkward button position anymore, and its use has a great many benefit over the 1/2 press of the shutter.
Also note that the vertical grip has the button in the perfect spot, another reason the camera is naked without a grip.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 11-Dec-11 04:07 PM
#31. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 29

Canton, US

>Try it a little longer, after a short time it is automatic
>muscle memory and a time saver.

I agree. At first it was awkward, but I was out shooting yesterday and I realized that I was not even thinking about where to place my thumb. It was on the button automatically. So, yeah, keep at it.

George

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Sat 10-Dec-11 09:40 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 28

Lynnwood, US

I assign the AE-L/AF-L to AF ON for static or slowly moving subjects. I set my D80 up the same way. I am still learning the best way to use auto focus on my D7000

plaiditude Registered since 09th Aug 2011Mon 12-Dec-11 12:13 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 30

Winnipeg, CA

One thing to be careful of with the AF-ON, test to see if your ae-l/af-l button is as sensitive as your shutter button when focusing. I've been using the AF-ON technique since I got my d7000 in early October and love using it. I've noticed issues with focus on my D7000, not specifically back-focus, but just that I get so many images not in sharp focus. This really came out the last couple of weeks as I've started to do some family photoshoots for others - so few keepers just because of focus. It seems after some testing, that especially with a non motor lens (my 50mm 1.8d) the back button appears to be much less sensitive to minor focus adjustments than the shutter button. This is unfortunate as I much prefer the AF-ON technique, and I may eventually see if this can be fixed. If you are having any issues, this may be something to try.

Visit my website.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 12-Dec-11 01:38 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 33

Monterey Bay, US

>One thing to be careful of with the AF-ON, test to see if
>your ae-l/af-l button is as sensitive as your shutter button
>when focusing. I've been using the AF-ON technique since I
>got my d7000 in early October and love using it. I've noticed
>issues with focus on my D7000, not specifically back-focus,
>but just that I get so many images not in sharp focus. This
>really came out the last couple of weeks as I've started to do
>some family photoshoots for others - so few keepers just
>because of focus. It seems after some testing, that
>especially with a non motor lens (my 50mm 1.8d) the back
>button appears to be much less sensitive to minor focus
>adjustments than the shutter button. This is unfortunate as I
>much prefer the AF-ON technique, and I may eventually see if
>this can be fixed. If you are having any issues, this may be
>something to try.

Sounds to me like you need a good TriPod and perhaps a remote.
The higher resolution of the D7000 show user error mo betta.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 12-Dec-11 01:59 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 33

St Petersburg, RU

Are you using a VR lens? AF-On does not turn on VR, the shutter does however so there will be activity in the VR when 1/2 pressing the Shutter Release that does not occur using only the AF-on. The VR still turns on the same way, by the 1/2 press of the shutter when using AF-on so maybe you are beating the settling time of the VR when pressing the shutter fully, giving too little time as the first switch contacts make, before the shutter fires with the second switch closure.
Try being deliberate in delaying a second before going from 1/2 to full shutter release and see if that improves the focus. The AF is not probably hunting, but the VR does initiate activity that needs a little time to settle position of the moving element.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 12-Dec-11 02:34 PM
#36. "RE: AF-on button"
In response to Reply # 35

Monterey Bay, US

Thanks Stan
Perhaps because I use VR so little, I never thought of that.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10765 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.