Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10634
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 live vew" Previous topic | Next topic
dadsnapy Registered since 13th Jun 2011Tue 05-Jul-11 08:18 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 live vew"

GB

I am trying to use live view for stiles and hand holding in the same way I have used the D300 but the D7000 takes so long to focus and take the picture. The focus miss-focuses and some times it will not focus at all, I use spot focusing,in the same way I do on the D300, I have no problems with the D300 in this method and obtain good reesoults. I would have thought that the new D7000 would work in the same way, but it seems they have have not followed the same root, which is a pity as I find this function a useful tool in the right constance.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 live vew
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Jul 2011
dm1dave Administrator
05th Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
07th Jul 2011
briantilley Moderator
07th Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
07th Jul 2011
dm1dave Administrator
08th Jul 2011
jonathanryoung
05th Jul 2011
aolander Silver Member
05th Jul 2011
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
06th Jul 2011
gbowen Gold Member
25th Jul 2011

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 05-Jul-11 02:05 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

My guess is that you are moving the camera around.
16mps are a lot less tolerant of user error than 12.
Try using a TriPod or at least a MonoPod &/or increase the shutter speed.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 05-Jul-11 03:33 PM
11301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

I don’t think he is referring to unsharp pictures. Andrew is saying that he is have trouble with focus speed and an inability to achieve focus while in live view.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 07-Jul-11 01:39 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

>I don’t think he is referring to unsharp pictures. Andrew is
>saying that he is have trouble with focus speed and an
>inability to achieve focus while in live view.

Did I mention unsharp pictures?
Besides, doesn't "focus" relate to sharp pictures?

I recommend a TriPod to anyone who is trying to achieve focus with or without using LiveView.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 07-Jul-11 03:44 PM
28742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

I don't see that your tripod advice, although good in general, relates to this particular problem.

The posts below, in my view, are addressing the right issue.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 07-Jul-11 05:55 PM
#8. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

>I don't see that your tripod advice, although good in
>general, relates to this particular problem.
>
>The posts below, in my view, are addressing the right issue.

I am just trying to help by removing an obstacle.
But you seem only willing to find fault in what I say.

Just hand hold your camera so that it bobs about while shooting a moving target and then try to use LiveView after applying all the best of the other advice.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 08-Jul-11 03:29 AM
11301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 08-Jul-11 04:41 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

No worries Roger, it's all good.

We are all just trying to help.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

jonathanryoung Registered since 19th Dec 2006Tue 05-Jul-11 03:59 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I haven't used any LiveView before I got my D7000 (I had a D70 before) - Generally I use the TTL viewfinder, which obviously has zero lag and I think in the case of the D7K, 100% view coverage. However, the few times that I have tried to use LiveView, it has generally been unsuccessful because I have been handholding it, and am still learning the camera! The autofocus is sooooo much more sophisticated and complex than my D70, it is easy to use an inappropriate mode.
I think you probably just need to learn what modes work for you in your environment with the subject matter at hand. When using the TTL, it is easier to point and hold the camera steady at the target object. When hand holding with LiveView, I for one can't hold it steady - so the autofocus will keep moving. My videos have been rubbish too so far for the same reason. My fault - not the camera's.

JY

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 05-Jul-11 06:02 PM
3195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

There are two modes for Live View in the D300, the hand-holding mode and tripod mode. The hand-holding mode uses "phase detection" for AF, tripod mode uses "contrast detection". Phase detection is the way normal (without live view) AF works, and it is much faster than contrast detection. The D7000 only uses contrast detection for focusing in live view (there aren't both modes for LV), so it is slower.

I think most DSLR Live View users use it when on a tripod. The best method for viewing/focusing when hand-holding would be to use the viewfinder.

Alan

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Wed 06-Jul-11 05:11 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 0

US

What lens do you have mounted on the camera? The Live View on the D300 has two focus modes: handheld mode and tripod mode. In handheld mode, the camera uses phase detect autofocus and in tripod mode it uses contrast detect autofocus. Phase detect autofocus can be faster than contrast detect.

The D7000 only uses contrast detect autofocus when in Live View. Additionally, many older third party lenses may not be compatible with the contrast detect focus system on the D7000. In many cases, those lenses can be upgraded by the manufacturer. I know Sigma has a number of lenses that require upgrade to focus properly with the D7000 Live View.

The combination of contrast detect autofocus and/or incompatible lenses could explain your issues.

Visit my gallery.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 25-Jul-11 03:41 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 live vew"
In response to Reply # 5

Canton, US

Why didn't Nikon incorporate the D300's Liveview focus modes? Seems like a step backward to not design the D7K with it.

George

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10634 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.