Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10615
View in linear mode

Subject: "using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus" Previous topic | Next topic
dadsnapy Registered since 13th Jun 2011Mon 04-Jul-11 10:19 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"

GB

is it passable to use the ae-l/af-l button to focus, without disabling the shutter release buttons functions.
AS I would like to use ae-l/af-l in some situations to focus but not all of the time. I have a d300 that I can use this facility and I would like to use it on the d7000 if possible. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: using a button on the back of a D7000 to focus
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Jul 2011
Reply message RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus
briantilley Moderator
04th Jul 2011
mdallie Silver Member
05th Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Jul 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
07th Jul 2011
adcam Gold Member
07th Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
08th Jul 2011
adcam Gold Member
08th Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
08th Jul 2011
scubacrazy
13th Jan 2012
mjhach Silver Member
09th Jan 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
13th Jan 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
13th Jan 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 04-Jul-11 05:46 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: using a button on the back of a D7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

That button locks the focus, exposure or both until the shatter button is fully depressed or the camera is turned off. This allows for setting either focus or exposure to a given setting and the recompose and allow the other action to be set by the camera. This is more flexible than the half press and hold option.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 04-Jul-11 05:52 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Yes, it certainly is possible to configure the AE-L/AF-L Button to activate autofocus. Check Custom Setting f5 on page 232 in the camera manual for details.

If you choose that setup, the Shutter Release will no longer activate autofocus, but will still initiate VR (with a VR lens, obviously). This is the same arrangement as using the AF-ON button on the D300 to activate autofocus

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Tue 05-Jul-11 10:18 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 3

Novi, US

I've configured my camera to use the back button to focus and I really like it. Much less accidental exposures when trying to focus, and also always ready to shoot.

Mike

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 05-Jul-11 02:12 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 05-Jul-11 02:14 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

One of the first things I do when getting a new camera is to set up the AF-ON button.
I can continue to hold the AF-ON (AE-L/AF-L converted) during a series of shots of a moving object.
Try that with the shutter button.

I can also use that button effectively while VideoGrafting.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 07-Jul-11 02:38 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

What a fantastic feature! I always knew this feature existed, but I never bothered to try it out, until I read this thread. So today, I setup my D7000 to activate auto focus when I press that AE/AF button and it's fantastic! I didn't think I'd like it for some reason, but I love it already.

What I like is that I can focus on the spot I want, then recompose without concern that the camera is going to auto focus again to a different spot. I get Auto focus when I want it, and not when I don't. Very liberating!

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Thu 07-Jul-11 06:22 PM
585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 6

Portland, US

I like it too But my biggest complaint is that the button is to near the LiveView button. I have hit the LiveView countless times and missed some shots.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 08-Jul-11 02:39 AM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 08-Jul-11 02:40 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>I like it too But my biggest complaint is that the button is
>to near the LiveView button. I have hit the LiveView
>countless times and missed some shots.

You must have a different shape hand or different way of griping your camera.
My thumb goes right for the AF-ON (AE-L/AF-L) button with the D7000.
It is the D5100 layout that gives me lots of trouble.

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Fri 08-Jul-11 06:25 PM
585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 8

Portland, US

Do you use a grip with your D7000? Just curious as I don't use a grip But was considering it.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 08-Jul-11 06:44 PM
#10. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

Although a lot of people do use a grip and like it,
I replaced my D3 bodies with D7000s because of the size and weight.

I have no problem flipping my wrist for vertical shots and the extra battery gives the D7000 no performance boost.
Even with my wrist flipped, I can still access the AF-ON (AE-L/AF-L) button.

scubacrazy Registered since 25th Apr 2008Fri 13-Jan-12 09:35 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

>Do you use a grip with your D7000? Just curious as I don't
>use a grip But was considering it.

I use the grip, and I have also programmed the grip's AE-L/FL button to act as focus on button too.
So whichever orientation the camera is in, I have access to back button focus.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 09-Jan-12 12:13 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 7

Simcoe, CA

I just keep it held on AF-C and this helps. Yes, I was also having issues with pressing LV frequently. I guess its a matter of practice.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 10:38 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I typically setup my cameras to focus with the ae-l/af-l button, and also set the shutter button to AE-L. That way I can focus on a separate region, lock it, meter on a separate region, lock it, and then take my picture.

Anybody else do this?

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 06:42 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: using a button on the back of a d7000 to focus"
In response to Reply # 13

US

I have the AE-L/AF-L button set to AE-L and the FN button set to AF-L. That also allows me to lock exposure and/or focus together or separately and still hand the camera over to someone else to take a picture without worrying about or remembering to reset the menus or explaining to them how to make the camera work.

Visit my gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10615 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.