Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1056
View in linear mode

Subject: "Outside College Football Game Advice" Previous topic | Next topic
TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Wed 20-Oct-10 12:16 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Outside College Football Game Advice"
Wed 20-Oct-10 07:45 PM by TMort

US

I will be using my D7000 during an upcoming game and was wondering if any of you could offer some advice. I have upgraded from a D40 so a lot of the settings I am still learning. I will have a 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8 and 18-200mm with me for shooting.

I was hoping to get some advice on where I should have settings for the best shots. IE: Is there an ISO setting you would keep constant? Aperture etc.? I will be taking pics of fans (close ups), full stadium pics and of course the players. I will be located in the South End Zone stands so should be able to get some good TD shots. The Stadium is pretty well lit with the stadium lights, much more than a typical high school game.

Let me know if you need any other info or details in order to give optimal advise. I will post pics unedited (as much as it pains me =p) after the game.

By the way, the game will be Oct. 26, Boise State on ESPN2. =)

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Outside College Football Game Advice
MEMcD Moderator
20th Oct 2010
TMort
20th Oct 2010
jwheat1
20th Oct 2010
TMort
20th Oct 2010
MEMcD Moderator
21st Oct 2010
TMort
22nd Oct 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
24th Oct 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 20-Oct-10 05:30 PM
25745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Outside College Football Game Advice"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tom,

When shooting the game, I would recommend using AF-C, single point AF, with a preffered shutter speed of 1/500th sec. but no slower than 1/250th sec. Which will mean that you will be shooting wide open at f/5.6 @ 200mm with your 18-200mm. The ISO will depend on how good the ambinet light level is. Keep in mind that the Matrix meter may be fooled into over exposure or under exposure depending how dark or bright the background is.

For the close ups and wide shots you can shoot as slow as 1/60th sec. with your 35mm and about 1/80th sec. with your 50mm. You can also use AF-S mode and a single AF point. You might want to stop down the aperture (higher f/#'s) to increase the DOF.
For the close ups you can open the Aperture (f/1.8) to blur the background. Focus on the subjects eye.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Wed 20-Oct-10 07:12 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Outside College Football Game Advice"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thats exactly the advice I was looking for thanks! I am thinking I will use the 35mm and 50mm lens on m d40 and just keep the zoom on the d7k since it has the better iso capabilities.

jwheat1 Registered since 26th Nov 2009Wed 20-Oct-10 10:50 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Outside College Football Game Advice"
In response to Reply # 1

US

If you are planning on using a flash (i.e. Nikon SB-600) I would use the AF-C focus mode, 3D-tracking Area Mode, ISO Auto off and set to ISO 800, Lowest possible Aperture Setting (F4 on my 70-200 lens) and Shutter Speed at 250, Shooting mode set to manual. I have had some pretty good results.

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Wed 20-Oct-10 11:23 PM
#4. "RE: Outside College Football Game Advice"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Unfort I havnt invested in a flash yet. I'm not sure they allow flashes though.

>If you are planning on using a flash (i.e. Nikon SB-600) I
>would use the AF-C focus mode, 3D-tracking Area Mode, ISO Auto
>off and set to ISO 800, Lowest possible Aperture Setting (F4
>on my 70-200 lens) and Shutter Speed at 250, Shooting mode
>set to manual. I have had some pretty good results.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 21-Oct-10 10:40 PM
25745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Outside College Football Game Advice"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Tom,

Shooting the game from the stands would be beyond the range of a Speedlight!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Fri 22-Oct-10 07:00 PM
#6. "RE: Outside College Football Game Advice"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I shot a highschool game last night to practice up for the big game. I was quite pleased with the results and hope to post them soon!

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 24-Oct-10 02:49 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Outside College Football Game Advice"
In response to Reply # 6

Joanna, US

Imo, as Marty mentioned, the distance (check the guide number) that the speedlight will be effective (from stands or sideline) would limit the results; unless you shot at a high ISO and the camera produced the pleasing results or were very close to the action. Glad you got the results you were looking to get.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1056 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.