Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10432
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which SD card???" Previous topic | Next topic
alanwk Registered since 08th Aug 2006Fri 24-Jun-11 02:25 PM
220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which SD card???"

Oklahoma City, US

Which SD card would you suggest for the D7000? Waiting to get mine out of lay-away.

Best Regards, Alan

A Texas Nikonian in Oklahoma

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which SD card???
iazybandit
24th Jun 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
24th Jun 2011
intrepidnz
24th Jun 2011
MountAiryD7000
24th Jun 2011
Golfster Gold Member
25th Jun 2011
gregor1 Silver Member
25th Jun 2011
jaychoth
25th Jun 2011
Pocobear
25th Jun 2011
airforbes1
28th Jun 2011
HayMower Silver Member
28th Jun 2011
mdallie Silver Member
03rd Jul 2011
brianm801
05th Jul 2011
FearSys
10th Jul 2011
GroovyGeek
31st Jul 2011
casapobre Silver Member
15th Jul 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
15th Jul 2011
jgamble Silver Member
20th Jul 2011
kuzzy Silver Member
15th Jul 2011
casapobre Silver Member
15th Jul 2011
GroovyGeek
02nd Aug 2011
BulliTT597
30th Jul 2011
Clint S Silver Member
02nd Aug 2011

iazybandit Registered since 24th May 2011Fri 24-Jun-11 03:58 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 24-Jun-11 03:59 PM by iazybandit

Flushing, US

http://sportsphotoguy.com/nikon-d7000-raw-burst-test/

I have SanDisk Extreme 30MB Class 10's, ADATA 8GB Class 10, I even have MicroCenter 4GB Class 6 and they all work fine.

---------------------
Equipment: Nikon D7000 | MB-D11 Grip | Spare EN-EL-15 | Nikon SB-600 | DK-17M mod
Glass: Nikon 35mm f1.8G | Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG HSM
Gear: BlackRapid RS-Sport | Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home | Dolica ProLine Tripod

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 24-Jun-11 04:41 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 24-Jun-11 04:42 PM by four eighty sparky

US

Not enough information to answer.

You could easily get by with a 2g non-classed card, or you may well need a 2tb UHS Class 1.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Fri 24-Jun-11 06:44 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

2 x 8 GB, Class 10 cards for me.

MountAiryD7000 Registered since 19th Jun 2011Fri 24-Jun-11 09:54 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I have two SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro 45MB/s in mine - works great!

D7000 Novice

Golfster Gold Member Nikonian since 21st May 2006Sat 25-Jun-11 01:35 AM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 0

Upland, US

Alan... for me, it's the SanDisk Extreme 16 GB Class 10 (30 MB/s); I've just ordered a third card just for movie recordings.

Best Regards, Dennis.

A Nikonian in California

My Nikonians Gallery

gregor1 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2009Sat 25-Jun-11 04:48 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 0

Ringwood, US

I use the Toshiba 16gb class 10 SDHC Works great.

jaychoth Registered since 21st Dec 2010Sat 25-Jun-11 06:35 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 0

Enid, US

About any class 10 card should fit your needs, unless you are on the button for multiple shots quite often. If you do a lot of this type of shooting, the higher the write speed,the better off you should be.

I primarily use 2 8GB PNY cards.

Jay
SwitchGrass Imaging Services

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011Sat 25-Jun-11 10:18 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 0

Mechanicsville, US

Just a word of warning, over one third of all SDHC cards are counterfeit, buy only from reputable sellers such as Adorama, B&H and others, you can check on the manufacturers web site to see who is an authorized retail seller.

Check out this thread: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=329&topic_id=9327&prev_page=show_topic&gid=9327#9728

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -
Ansel Adams

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. -
Ansel Adams

airforbes1 Registered since 26th Jun 2011Tue 28-Jun-11 06:08 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

I am also looking at getting some SD cards for my new D7000.

Is a class 10 card really necessary if you don't plan on shooting much video?

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Tue 28-Jun-11 09:16 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>Is a class 10 card really necessary if you don't plan on
>shooting much video?

Necessary? Perhaps not, but I was using two class 6 cards at a concert last week in Maryville, TN; and I noticed that the green light was staying on about 3 seconds for each shot. Had I been shooting continuously, I think I would have been in trouble. I feel that class 10 cards are worth it. I have SanDisk Extreme Pro 45mb/s cards, Lexar Professional class 10 cards, and the Lexar Platinum II class 6 cards that I was using that night. You can tell the difference. All are 8GB cards. I also have 2 SanDiusk Ultra 15mb class 4 cards that perform as well as the class 6 Lexars.

I'm convinced - the faster the card, the better I like it. Why skimp on SD cards (or batteries, for that matter) when you are using a megabuck camera and lens? A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sun 03-Jul-11 03:31 PM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 10

Novi, US

I think the question of whether or not you need the class 10 cards is a good one.

I agonized about this as I usually don't shoot action or video. However, I ended up with the SanDisk Extreme 16 GB Class 10 (30 MB/s).

Here is what then happened: I am just back from a trip to Italy for 10 days. While there I was in situations where I tried out the video and it was really useful (I didn't expect this). I didn't think I'd ever used video as I'm resisted video for many years; however, I will probably shoot more video in the future and so I'm glad I got the Class 10.

Mike

brianm801 Registered since 13th Jun 2011Tue 05-Jul-11 09:20 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 11

US

If i was getting paid for my images i would buy the best... but using 'cheap' cards in mirror mode is good enough for me

I've been using Transcend brand cards for years with great results. I have a Transcend 1gb CF card in my D70 that is 6 years old and still going strong!

In my D7000 i use two Transcend 32gb cards. They are rated 'class 10' but they are not as fast as the Sandisks. They cost ~$50 (for 32gb) and give me 915+ raw images when setup in mirror mode (each picture is copied to both SD cards).

FearSys Registered since 13th Jun 2009Sun 10-Jul-11 02:12 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 12

Clayton, US

I been using two 8gb Sandisk Extreme Pro class UHS-1 with great success. Before that i was using a Lexar 8gb class 6. The UHS-1 class is way much faster in both writing and saving vs the class 6. I tell a huge difference when i am shooting 6fps.

Class UHS-1 reads and writes up to 45 mb/s

GroovyGeek Registered since 17th Jul 2011Sun 31-Jul-11 04:53 AM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 9

Portland, US

>I am also looking at getting some SD cards for my new D7000.
>
>Is a class 10 card really necessary if you don't plan on
>shooting much video?

If you do not plan to shoot sports or wildlife where high speed bursts are needed, not only is class 10 not needed it is a dramatic overkill. Save yourself a bundle and stay away from the Extreme IIIs, or any Extreme for that matter. Ultra's will be perfectly fine and will save you a bundle. Since experiencing a problem with some Trasncends bought from Buy.com I have decided to pay the Sandisk premium and buy only Sandisk Ultras, which are extremely reliable and plenty speedy for my needs (landscapes).

casapobre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2009Fri 15-Jul-11 06:47 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 0

Kerrville, US

I've been doing some "bulb" shooting of fireworks and stars and it seems like it takes a week to record a one-minute exposure to a Sandisk Extreme (30/MB/s card.)

I've got Noise Reduction for Long Exposure turned On which, according to the manual, can increase record time by 1.5 to 2.0.

What else influences Record Time? Is the speed of the card related to its ability to accept the image file from the processor or to transfer the image to the card reader?

happydog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 15-Jul-11 04:57 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 14

Alberta, CA

>I've been doing some "bulb" shooting of fireworks
>and stars and it seems like it takes a week to record a
>one-minute exposure to a Sandisk Extreme (30/MB/s card.)
>
>I've got Noise Reduction for Long Exposure turned On which,
>according to the manual, can increase record time by 1.5 to
>2.0.

Sounds to me like you are noticing that the camera takes a second equal length dark frame exposure - so the camera in your example is taking an addition full one-minute to record that dark frame. Then it (somehow) compares that to your original one-minute exposure, subtracts the noise from the original, and only then writes the image to the card.

So all of the above is taking place prior to card-writing, and is not influenced by the speed of the card.

Thinking out loud, I can see that being frustrating during a FW display! Maybe the secret is to turn long exposure NR off for FW displays, otherwise you can't shoot during that latter minute.

>Is the speed of the card
>related to its ability to accept the image file from the
>processor or to transfer the image to the card reader?

It is both. However the first is constrained by the maximum speed of the camera in emptying the buffer. The latter is constrained by the speed of your card reader, USB, etc. on your computer. Constraints everywhere!

My sense is that the maximum speed of the D7000 in emptying a buffer is constrained to some value > than a Sandisk Extreme and less than a Sandisk Extreme Pro. However I have yet to see ANY test anywhere with an SD card > 45mbps and the D7000, so this is conjecture. There's supposed to be a Panasonic UHS-1 with > 45mbps out soon (or already?) but like I say, no tests with the D7K that I have seen.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jgamble Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2007Wed 20-Jul-11 12:58 AM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#18. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 15

New Smyrna Beach, US

I just bought a Sandisk 8 G Extreme Pro 45, and I get 10 frames at high speed with my setup. My fastest other cards are Sandisk 4 G Extreme class 10 and 7 frames was the best I can do with the identical setup. Not a great test, but enough for me to order another Extreme Pro. I shoot flying birds and three more frames are valuable for me. Always thought it was a buffer problem and not a card write issue.

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Fri 15-Jul-11 07:58 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri 15-Jul-11 08:02 PM by kuzzy

Milford, US

You definitely have to turn of Long Exposure NR when shooting fireworks. Since I had never used my D7000 for long exposures I did not realize the the LENR was on when shooting fireworks last week. Initially I did not know what the problem was, at first i thought it was my remote that was delaying and then remembered to check the NR setting and turned it off. When you are trying to take another shot and the camera will not let you it does seem like f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

Almost forgot to add Scandisk 8GB 45ms cards, shooting 14 bit raw I usually get about 300+ images on a card even though it initially says something like there is room for 230 on the card. I almost always download to my computer before the next day the 2 cards typically give me plenty of space.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

casapobre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2009Fri 15-Jul-11 10:35 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 16

Kerrville, US

Thanks. I'll be tending to the noise reduction in Lightroom or Topaz from now on. I'll check it out on the stars as soon as we get rid of this full moon.

Also, I'll be trying out a SanDisk 45MB/s card soon. I saw on another thread that some of the card makers just change the label on a card to go from, say, 30 up to 45. Bummer. Any truth to that?

happydog

GroovyGeek Registered since 17th Jul 2011Tue 02-Aug-11 07:46 PM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 17

Portland, US

>Thanks. I'll be tending to the noise reduction in Lightroom
>or Topaz from now on. I'll check it out on the stars as soon
>as we get rid of this full moon.

The after-the-fact NR is not nearly as good as "long exposure NR" that the camera does. This is particularly true if your camera has significant amp noise, where LR or Topaz will be useless. The following is a good workaround when you shoot many long exposures and do not want to wait, assumes that "Long exposure NR" is not turned on

1) Shoot for a while
2) Put cap on, take a couple of shots ***with exposure times that span the times used in step 2***
3) Lather, rinse, repeat

When you post process you take an image from each batch (step 1) and manually subtract the "cap on" image from step 2 that is the closest match for the exposure time. Especially during long sessions it is important to periodically get the dark shots because as the sensor and/or body heat up or cool down the amp noise characteristics will change.

BulliTT597 Registered since 27th Jul 2011Sat 30-Jul-11 12:56 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

best buy has a deal on the 45MB UPS-I cards, and why not use that feature? there are sooo many guys out there that wish they had that extra pin, to increase there buffer or limit buffer time, I use one 8gig UPS-I 45mb/sec a class 10 is 10mb/sec 4 is 4mb and so on, it was $48 bucks I think, they have 30mb/sec and even 15, but I agree with others spend a little more, and you can take that variable away, it'll never be your card, as a matter of fact, with this card you know you'll get everything you can out of your UPS-I enabled camera

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Tue 02-Aug-11 04:46 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Which SD card???"
In response to Reply # 19

Chula Vista, US

SanDisk Extreme Pro writes and reads quicker than other cards. I also use Patriot 16GB LX Series Class 10s. They are significantly slower than the San Diego Extreme Pro, and a lot less expensive.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10432 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.