Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1042
View in linear mode

Subject: "More sample pics for your viewing pleasure" Previous topic | Next topic
wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 20-Oct-10 02:10 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"

Warsaw, US

Well, since the football pics seemed to create some exciting conversation, I thought I would share some more.
I created another album "D7000 test pics" for you guys to do some pixel peeping.
All the EXIF data should be there for you.
Some notes: All pics are unedited. I either resized the full picture or made 100% crops. All were captured in Jpeg. (I also captured them in RAW, but I haven't gone through them yet).
The roof top and flower pics were taken with LOW NR. The horses were at Normal NR. I think Low NR looks much sharper and the noise is still good.
You'll noticed I took several shots of the same scene with different EV settings. I think stepping down -.3 to -.7 EV really represents the true ambient light.
I also did a "shoot-off" between my D5k and D7k with the 18-105 lens.

Enjoy the pics.

Wayne

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure
MEMcD Moderator
20th Oct 2010
intrepidnz
20th Oct 2010
nikon addict but
20th Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator
20th Oct 2010
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
20th Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator
20th Oct 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
21st Oct 2010
DVDMike Silver Member
20th Oct 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
21st Oct 2010
DVDMike Silver Member
21st Oct 2010
MstrBones Silver Member
20th Oct 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
21st Oct 2010
Mike Buckley
21st Oct 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
21st Oct 2010
Robman3 Gold Member
21st Oct 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
23rd Oct 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 20-Oct-10 02:49 AM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for sharing the images!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Wed 20-Oct-10 03:25 AM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 1

NZ

Thanks for that. I am impressed with the 3200 ASA picture!

More convinced that ever now!

nikon addict but Registered since 11th Oct 2010Wed 20-Oct-10 07:26 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

Thanks for your pics, checked out your album and also enjoyed seeing the NHRA pics there, i am a big time nitro fan

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 20-Oct-10 08:59 PM
8152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Wayne

Thanks for posting.

These images are pretty remarkable. They look very sharp even zoomed in on a 100% crop. F/8 is pretty forgiving with regard to focus, so the 18-105 does a nice job. ISO 3200 looks fully usable with good lighting. We're also still seeing JPEG's - so there is potential for still better images with RAW processing.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 20-Oct-10 09:05 PM
1976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 4

Norcross, US

The ISO 3200 pictures are very impressive. Could you shoot some in poor light conditions and maybe even take the ISO to 6400?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 20-Oct-10 10:45 PM
8152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

How about going to the limit - H 1.0 and H 2.0 like the images of the house? Something with a dark area that would show noise?

My D7000 body is on order. Looking forward to getting in the action.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Thu 21-Oct-10 12:30 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 5

Warsaw, US

Hang in there Bob, I'm working on it.

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Wed 20-Oct-10 09:20 PM
2184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 0

Metro Atlanta, US

I did not notice your remark about some of the photos being from the D5000 when I first looked at the images. I think that I am more impressed with the D5000 3200 ISO image, but I would need to download them first and view them side by side to know for sure.

All and all, the D7000 sharpness looks really good from this sample.

Thank you for posting them!

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Thu 21-Oct-10 12:28 AM
#9. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 6

Warsaw, US

Yes the D5000 surprised me with the iso 3200 photo, actually all the D5000 photos surprised me. If you were to see them at 100% the D7000 is the winner. The roof and the black part of the driveway didn't look so good on the D5000.

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Thu 21-Oct-10 02:54 AM
2184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 9

Metro Atlanta, US

That is good I guess. The D7000 should look better. But the D5000 looks pretty good. I'd like to see some shots @ 3200ISO with poor light from both cameras. Under good lighting conditions, it is harder to see the problem areas of high ISO. Thanks again for sharing!

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 20-Oct-10 11:48 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Wayne,

I'd be curious to see images with noise reduction turned OFF. That would give a good indicator of what we will see with RAW images when it eventually gets into NX2.

Regards,

""

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Thu 21-Oct-10 12:49 AM
#11. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 8

Warsaw, US

That's my next step. Like I said, the low NR pics were noticably sharper.
I have to admit when I first starting looking at some of my photos with the D7k I wasn't real impressed. The default settings are not impressive (over exposed, flat colors, and soft). Now I have started changing the settings and I'm becoming happy with my new camera.
For Jpegs I've found: use Landscape mode and increase sharpness to 5 or 6 (4 is default), reduce NR, and decrease exposure by 1/3 or 2/3.

Mike Buckley Registered since 22nd Aug 2010Thu 21-Oct-10 12:29 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 21-Oct-10 12:30 PM by Mike Buckley

US

>I'd be curious to see images with noise reduction turned OFF.

Keep in mind that even when noise reduction is turned off, the camera automatically applies a small amount of noise reduction at certain high ISO settings. In those circumstances the noise reduction is less than when the user enables the "low" setting. Sorry that I don't remember which ISO settings are affected, but that information is provided in the manual.

Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Thu 21-Oct-10 03:24 PM
#14. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 13

Warsaw, US

>the camera automatically applies a small amount of noise reduction at certain high ISO settings. In those circumstances the noise reduction is less than when the user enables the "low" setting. Sorry that I don't remember which ISO settings are affected

For the D7k it is 1600 and higher. So you can have no NR up to iso 1250.

Robman3 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2010Thu 21-Oct-10 09:00 PM
1721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

The 6400 image is pretty darn good as well, and as it was your first night shoot with the new machine, I think you did well.

Thanks for sharing.

Rob

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 23-Oct-10 05:02 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: More sample pics for your viewing pleasure"
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 23-Oct-10 05:05 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

I really like the ISO1600 (and even 3200?) stuff, looks really good, THANKS for the examples. I will be interested to see if I can set Auto-ISO increments in partial stops so that for example one could set a maximum auto-iso value of 1250 to avoid the non-discretionary noise reduction coming on. Or vice-versa I might decide that I can tolerate it to ISO2000 as a general Auto-ISO maximum value.

I routinely set my D300 to 6 or even 7 for sharpening. I find it allows me to better evaluate critical sharpness while in the field. Your settings of 6 seem likewise good and sharp.

Working on chores these past weekends while I await the D7K coming in. That way I can build a positive brownie point bank up. Once the camera comes in I want to do some serious shooting with it right away

And even video, I want to really start working that, maybe using my gimbal (black widow), and an external mic.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1042 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.