Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #104
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 replacement?" Previous topic | Next topic
Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 16-Sep-10 12:15 AM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 replacement?"

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Is the D7000 a D90 replacement, or an addition to Nikon's product line? There is certainly more of a difference between the D7000 and D90 than there is between the D80 and D90 -- enough so to see it as a new camera coexisting with the D90.

(1) At current pricing anyway, the two cameras are at very different price points.

(2) Accoding to Nikon's web site, the D90 is still in the product lineup. This isn't surprising, though. The D200 was still available new and still listed as a current product after the D300 had been out a year.

(3) The feature set between the D7000 and D90 is at least as different as between the D5000 and D3000, both of which coexisted in Nikon's product lineup.

Surely the D7000 will remain in Nikon's product lineup after the D90 is discontinued. But it's not clear to me that the D7000 will replace the D90 in the lineup, or that the D90 is about to be discontinued.

Randy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 replacement?
jbloom Gold Member
16th Sep 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Sep 2010
km6xz Moderator
16th Sep 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
17th Sep 2010
greenwing Gold Member
17th Sep 2010
elec164 Silver Member
17th Sep 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
17th Sep 2010
kricha6431
16th Sep 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
17th Sep 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
17th Sep 2010
JerryT
17th Sep 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
17th Sep 2010
km6xz Moderator
17th Sep 2010
thephilmaster
20th Sep 2010
briantilley Moderator
20th Sep 2010
thephilmaster
20th Sep 2010
DVDMike Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
thephilmaster
20th Sep 2010
km6xz Moderator
20th Sep 2010
thephilmaster
20th Sep 2010
DVDMike Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
km6xz Moderator
27th Sep 2010
DVDMike Silver Member
29th Sep 2010
Sorensen
27th Sep 2010
thephilmaster
27th Sep 2010
briantilley Moderator
27th Sep 2010

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 16-Sep-10 12:25 AM
6151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I think you are exactly right, Randy. Your point (2) I think is the telling one. Nikon doesn't refresh the entire line-up at one time (nor does any other manufacturer). Because of that, cameras at various price points are frequently of different generations, leading to apparent disparities between current models that appear adjacent in the line-up pricewise.

At some point, the D90 will disappear from the line-up. At some point other bodies will likely appear at prices above and below the D7000. Those newer bodies will have technology the D7000 doesn't -- even the lower-priced ones. That's just the nature of the technology, and trying to parse Nikon's strategy without taking into the account the age of the designs will lead to much scratching of the head!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 16-Sep-10 02:50 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

What was the price of the D90 body-only at its highest price-point?

I was just wondering if this is re-establishment of a D90 price-point or establishment of a new level. Certainly on sticker-features it deserves a new price-point, but I kind of recall this is not that far off from the D90 at its peak. In which case the D7000 still seems like a good bargain.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 16-Sep-10 05:40 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 16-Sep-10 05:42 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

The D90 came out when the Yen<>Dollar exchange rate was more favorable to the Dollar and still sold for $1299 with kit lens. With taxes I paid $1400 for mine. The D7k is priced the same or lower based on 2008<>2010 dollar value. Since two major retailers, B&H and Amazon have the new camera listed for $1199 for body only at introduction, it is quite likely that once initial demand and pre-orders are filled, the street price will be $1000-1050, essentially the same as the D90 body only until a few months ago.
By all indications, the D7k is filling the price point Nikon and other manufacturers see at the enthusiast zone, which had been the D90. Since the price drops this year, a large number of additional people in the general hobbyist level were scooped up in the D90 net who previously priced out of that model.
I think the D90 will be withdrawn from the product list when current stocks are exhausted around Christmas time. An updated D5k will be needed to fill that $700 hobbyist price point that Canon does well in right now.
This new camera packs a lot of punch for the price so if the same ratio of price to performance is an indication of future models, if there is a D300s update, it will be pretty interesting. Same with the D5000. If Nikon can boost production enough for the demand going into the holiday season for the D7k, it is going to be a very good New Year for the company, and Nikon fans.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 17-Sep-10 01:11 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

Thanks Stan. In that case the D7000 should be a blockbuster seller given similar price point to it's predecessor. Hope they are working triple shift plus overtime back in Thailand. Good for them, good for us.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 17-Sep-10 08:39 AM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 17-Sep-10 08:41 AM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

>What was the price of the D90 body-only at its highest
>price-point?
>
>I was just wondering if this is re-establishment of a D90
>price-point or establishment of a new level. Certainly on
>sticker-features it deserves a new price-point, but I kind of
>recall this is not that far off from the D90 at its peak. In
>which case the D7000 still seems like a good bargain.

Here in the UK, the D90's list price at introduction was £699.99. The D7000 is available for pre-order at £1099, fully 55% more than the D90's initial price, and just £20 or so less than the current price of the D300s.

Chris

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 17-Sep-10 12:47 PM
1987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri 17-Sep-10 01:29 PM by elec164

US

>Here in the UK, the D90's
>D90|list
>price at introduction was £699.99]. The D7000 is available for
>pre-order at £1099, fully 55% more than the D90's initial
>price, and just £20 or so less than the current price of the
>D300s.
>
>Chris<

Well across the pond Nikon USA seems to show it a bit different. The D90 was introduced September 2008 with a MSRP of $999.95. The D7000 is listed on Nikon USA web site as an EST. MSRP of $1199.95 or only about a 20% increase.Even B&H current price of the D90 with a $50 instant rebate of $899.95 would only mean about a 33% increase over their pre-order price of $1199.95 for the D7000.

But the build quality and feature set does put the D7000 more toward the Pro line then the D90 was. So they very well could co-exist. But personally if I were in the market for such a camera, I would spend the extra money to buy the D7000 over the D90. Other opinions will vary.

Pete

Pete

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 17-Sep-10 01:18 PM
#13. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 12

Alberta, CA

The D90 and all other cameras based on the 12 megapixel CMOS sensor will all be toast soon enough. I have enjoyed use of this sensor these last three years and it has provided me many memorable images - but it's over now. Here's hoping the new 14 and 16 megapixel versions are even better.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

kricha6431 Registered since 15th Aug 2010Thu 16-Sep-10 03:30 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

this is NOT a replacement for the D90, I read that earlier today,
and as i understood there is still one or two more DSLRs from Nikon to come if my understanding is right. I found that out by typing in the Battery Grip name for the D7000, the MB-D11

Photography: you either have it in you to handle the demands Phography presents you everday or get out

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Fri 17-Sep-10 02:36 AM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 17-Sep-10 02:41 AM by ZoneV

US

>this is NOT a replacement for the D90, I read that earlier
>today,

I read that too, but experience with Nikon tells me that this can mean any of the following:

A.) We intend to create a D90 replacement at a later time
B.) We intend to discontinue the D90 soon but not replace it
C.) We intend to keep making the D90 for a while. We aren't sure yet if we are going to come up with a replacement model or not, however.

(Note: If Nikon picks option C, this effectively makes the D7000 the D90 recplacement whether they intended it or not.)

There is also option D:

D.) The D7000 IS the D90 replacement, and the D90 will be discontinued sometime between now and a year from now, but Nikon simply wants remaining stock to be sold, so they are stretching the truth.

All I know for sure, is that the "what replaces what" isn't as clear on the consumer side as it is on the pro side. Heck, even on the pro side, it's still not clear how long the D700 lifecycle will last.

I think they are ambiguous because it gives them flexibility to adapt their lineup.

Stan's guess does sound like the most logical course of action.

Honestly, I think what is more important than whether the D7000 is or is not the actual D90 replacement, is how nikonians ends up integrating it into the current forum structure (as a separate forum like it is now, or combined with the D70/D80/D90 group).

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Fri 17-Sep-10 02:20 AM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 17-Sep-10 02:48 AM by ZoneV

US

So we essentially have:

D90 + D300s -> D7000 + D###?

It's really not clear yet. I think Nikon intends it be unclear. They've done this sort of thing many times before, for example:

N8008s + N6006 -> N90 + N70 (was the N90 the N8008s replacement like most people believe, or was the N70 the N8008s replacement and the N90 a brand new higher end model (as Simon Stafford states in the Nikon Compendium)? Note that the N8008s (1991), N6006, N70, and N90 (1992) were all sold alongside one another for a while. The time between the N8008s and N90 intros was technically too short (~1 year) for the N90 to be its replacement. Not to mention the fact that the N8008s was still sold for quite a while alongside the N90.

Same with the N90s -> F100: a new market segment or the replacement? The N90s was discontinued within one or two years of the F100's intro I believe. I bought my N90s new a while after the F100 came out, because it was a better deal and I didn't need the enhancements of teh F100.

I think that once a D400 comes out next year or whenever (if ever) and once the D90 is discontinued, it will be clearer.

This is how Nikon rearranges its lineup and the relative positions of their camera models.

It's all pretty complex, actually!
http://www.bythom.com/lineage.htm

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

JerryT Registered since 31st May 2010Fri 17-Sep-10 02:36 AM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 17-Sep-10 02:37 AM by JerryT

US

>Is the D7000 a D90 replacement, or an addition to Nikon's
>product line? There is certainly more of a difference between
>the D7000 and D90 than there is between the D80 and D90 --
>enough so to see it as a new camera coexisting with the D90.

Randy

I have to disagree. I have a couple of 5-year-old D70s and couldn't see any good reason to upgrade to the D80. I think the D90 has a feature set that was worth the upgrade.

I have mixed feelings about the D7000 and am thinking of it like I did the D80. At least from my standpoint it doesn't offer any new features that really turn my crank although it obviously is an excellent camera. If buying new today I think I'd opt for the D7000 over the D90 because the price difference isn't that great, but certainly don't regret my decision to go with the D90 or my decision not to upgrade to the D80.

(I have two D70s that are five years old and I thought long and hard about the D80 but finally decided it just wasn't worth it.)

And as noted I don't think the price points between the D90 and D7000 is all that great.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 17-Sep-10 02:52 AM
#9. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

Good responses all.

Aren't they moving the entire line up a notch in response to competitors plus impending collapse of the market at the bottom due to things like cell phone and EVIL cameras?

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 17-Sep-10 04:28 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 9

St Petersburg, RU

For those thinking the reply by a marketing person proved that the D90 is not discontinued, are thinking logically rather than traditionally. ALL marketing people claim their out of production, replaced products are still in production with no plans for being discontinued....until the warehouse is empty. There are no new D90s being assembled. No more production is going to happen. The production facilities have been retooled and cranking out hundreds of thousands of D7ks as we write, and have been for a bit.
Notice how the big box stores have clearance stacks of D90 kits near the entrance of mega retailers? Those companies know where to put products with the most margin, due to super discounts from the distributor to move truckloads of product. By Christmas day, every remaining D90 in the country, except for a few in mom and pop shops, will have been sold.
The 2010-2011 product lineup and intended market:
The entry level will be D3.1k and D5.1k(for those who just can't shoot without a flip out screen)
Hobbyist market will be the D5.1k and D7k
Enthusiast will be D7k and D400
Advanced(thick wallet) D7k, D400, D800, D4
Pro D400, D4 plus D800, D400 or D7k as backup DX
Studio pro D800x, D4x
Everyone else:EVIL and CoolPix(the largest segment of the market but lowest margin)
Largest profit margin: the 2.5 million DX and FX lenses sold next year.
A good year for Nikon. Happy shooting
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

thephilmaster Registered since 20th Sep 2010Mon 20-Sep-10 02:14 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 10

CA

My uncle has been with Nikon for many years, and I have been going to him as a source for my first DSLR purchase. When the D7000 was announced, he had an immediate reservation (that I do not agree with based on my research). he uses a d90 as his first digital slr, but has several older film slr cameras. however he believes that the d7000 was placed in the thousand series for a reason, being that its not a good camera for some reason and that a d90s will be released (as that is the naming system in the past for updates.

Is there anyone who agrees with this? I believe that there will not be any d90s, and that this naming system is due to how nikon is changing the classes of its cameras. D#### being entry and enthusiast, D### being semi pro and D# being the pro models.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 20-Sep-10 03:03 PM
28756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 14

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

I'd say you're closer to it than your uncle

As I see it, Nikon realised a while ago that there wasn't much room in the Dxx series of numbers for future models. Hence, when the D40 and D60 were replaced, they started the Dxxxx series of numbers with the D3000 and D5000. The numbering of the new D3100 shows how they will probably introduce updates into those lines in the future. I see the same logic at play with the D7000 - other than the rather messy "D95", there was nowhere for them to go after the D90.

I wouldn't read too much into this regarding which "class" the D7000 fits into - I see it as a D90 but better

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

thephilmaster Registered since 20th Sep 2010Mon 20-Sep-10 03:14 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 15

CA

ya that's what i figured. i think the problem was that my uncle, having a d90, would never even consider a 3000/3100 or 5000 because of lower specs, and the fact that he has some older manual lenses that would, as i understand it, be incompatible with those models.

he is a semi-pro photographer and the d90 was his first digital slr so that he could find out how it works, and then buy into a better body when he learns how the digial slrs work. he's very happy with the d90 for now, and i feel like for him it's a good choice to stay with d90 until a d400 is released.

I on the other hand, am just getting into photography. Whenever i do any purchasing, i do a lot of research, so i learned everything from the basics to bokeh. and i personally don't believe it would be a good investment for me to get any dslr below the d90 in terms of specifications and compatibility.

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Mon 20-Sep-10 03:47 PM
2205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 16

Metro Atlanta, US

I think that Brian is spot on. Look at the features and construction and what the pre-release users are already saying, not the model number relative to other model numbers and you will come to the conclusion that Nikon believes that the D7000 should be an improvement over the D90.

I think Nikon is in uncharted territory in terms of model numbers relative to their long history. The fact that they did not have a complete model number scheme outlined to last them 20 years into the future when they first released their first D-SLR is no reason to disqualify the D7000 based on its model number alone.

thephilmaster Registered since 20th Sep 2010Mon 20-Sep-10 05:44 PM
#18. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 17

CA

ya exactly, i'm glad i'm not just crazy haha!

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 20-Sep-10 06:45 PM
#19. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 18

St Petersburg, RU

What exactly is a "semi-pro"? I hear that term used all the time and even a class of camera is supposed to be intended for them but never figured out what it meant.
Does it mean their income is partially but not wholly derived from works for hire in photography? Their "pro" but fail to get a business license or pay taxes on their income from photography, or possibly a self described notion of being more skilled than an amateur and less skilled than a person who derives all their income from photographic services?
What version of the term is your uncle?
Amateur has lost its historic definition, of being the status of those whose passion, skilled and devoted energies into a craft was at a the loftiest levels. Somehow in recent years the term has sunk to mean low skilled, novice tinkerer. In the past, most great advances and discoveries in science, mathematics, works of art, philosophers etc were amateurs.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

thephilmaster Registered since 20th Sep 2010Mon 20-Sep-10 07:55 PM
#20. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 19
Mon 27-Sep-10 03:51 PM by dm1dave

CA

I would consider my uncle a semi-pro because he is quite skilled in photography and often sells prints of his photographs to people for home use. He isn't commissioned for jobs because he has his own job doing other things which is his primary source of income. I usually consider pros people who are being paid for photography or photographic services as their primary job. Semi pro would be like I described before, who may do tons of photography and in many cases may be more skilled than people I'd consider pros. Then the entry-enthusiast level which is much larger and can span from someone who just takes shots here or there without much knowledge of what anything on their DSLR does, to enthusiasts who by no means are unskilled, they just don't get paid. Let me just emphasize that in my opinion the skill level of any of these categories could vary. Enthusiasts could be more technically skilled than pros, I just classify it based on pay really. I realize its not the most effective method of classification because the needs of some enthusiasts may fall into the category of what I would describe as pro level cameras, I guess that I just figure that if you are in the business of photography you would want some of the best tools available to you. I know there are many holes with my view, keep in mind I don't even own a DSLR yet. Haha! Also, sorry for any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes, I'm typing this response on my iPhone...

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Mon 20-Sep-10 08:27 PM
2205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 19

Metro Atlanta, US

My take on semi-pro photographers are anyone who shoots for a fee but does not generate all of his work income full time through photography.

Semi-pro shooters are bound by the same laws as full time pros. I think that a better name for what I am saying a semi-pro is would be "part-time professional".

Whether full time or part time, whenever you are taking money for your photography, you should still be "professional".

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 27-Sep-10 01:39 PM
#23. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 21

St Petersburg, RU

The question was more rhetorical than bewilderment, meaning I was using the question to show how the camera classifications do not fit the classifications of usage.
I am surely not a pro since the income criteria is not passed, although one year back in the 80s my snap shots earned $25k in royalties, back when $25k was a pretty good chunk of pocket change. Now, i specifically turn down offers for pay and even pay for not shooting.

Back when I was a pro in another field, pro meant something in specific equipment requirements. Not based on pure specs but on the 3 Rs: repair-ability, reset-ability, and reliability. That meant equipment that was built to last long enough to amortize its costs, to be able to get a reliable stream of maintenance parts far into the future, and the sturdiness and predictability of any adjustment items to allow quick and frequent adjustments. That definition is long gone.
There were consumer items that had better single measurement factors that were clearly better but would never be adapted for pro work because for a working pro the 3 Rs were much more important. The output and finished results were almost always better using more conservative gear because the talent and attention to detail of the user surpassed the hobbyists by a wide margin. I am not sure I see that so much in the photography field, way too many people casually assign themselves the title of professional solely because they seek to or have charged people for work.
I was on a forum recently that had C&C activity and dropped into one discussion about lighting. A woman was showing a few images asking for a critique. She got a number of polite responses but they were all missing the point that the images were poorly composes, lit and exposed, sort of casual snap shots with cluttered backgrounds and weird shadows, and people in unflattering light and poses. I mentioned a few specifics and got an indignant reply that she was a "professional" and had been doing the work for 15 years so obviously I did not know what I was talking about. I admitted it that I was a complete novice compared to her but as a viewer, without any knowledge of cameras I would still know aesthetics and if there hadn't been a number of examples on her web site of weddings, festivals and performances that all had the same cell-phone style of poorly conceived images I would have guessed her first examples were a joke or some strange concept art. I asked if she every visited art galleries to keep a perspective on aesthetics and she wrote back that they did not have fancy city galleries in her small town.
She is by the definitions post above, a pro. I somehow think the classifications are meaningless now and new, more communicative descriptions should be created.
Was there a DSLR made within the last 5 years that could not be used to create images that would have as much commercial value as with some high end gear? Some of the most impressive galleries are posted by owners of very simple cameras, many of them D40's.
Since this thread is about D7k's, I find nothing at all limiting in a D7k that would not fit under the minimum requirements of the current definition of "pro", a sports or news photographer from not long ago would have committed heinous crimes for its capabilities. I still have not read of a point from the "it's not pro" camp that makes sense or holds water.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Wed 29-Sep-10 07:13 PM
#26. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 23

Metro Atlanta, US

I have sold my D90 which was my limited use 3rd camera for professional use. I plan on getting a D7000 to replace this need. Based on what I have seen so far, I think the D7000 can be used in several professional capacities.

I think in the end, what constitutes professional photography is what buyers are willing to purchase. If somebody with no training hangs up their shingle and declares themselves a pro and people are willing to pay them money, then in my book they have met the minimum requirements. But just because someone is willing to pay you does not make you a "good photographer" or a great one.

I shoot mostly weddings and the prices I charge reflect my capabilities and training based and on what my market will pay for these skills. There are many wedding photographers who charge more and deserve it. There are countless others who charge less. My work holds up well against them and I have no problems charging what I feel that I deserve, especially when I see some other "pro" photographers work.

There are formalized degrees that one can obtain in photography. And there are also certifications. Just as in in many other professions, a degree does not guarantee professionalism. And nor does the lack of a degree indicate the lack of expertise. I have seen excellent wedding photography from shooters without any degrees. In this particular line of photography, customer referrals and personal tastes account for most of the buying decisions. If your work looks good, people will hire you regardless of any certifications. In fact, I cannot remember one prospective wedding client who ever inquired about my qualifications in many years. They do, from time to time, inquire about what equipment that you use. And this is one of the biggest drawbacks from using a camera like a D7000 for this work is the perception by some clients that if you are using a camera that they could afford, perhaps they could get a friend who also owns one to shoot their event just as well. Since I have a D3 and professional lenses, I have never (knowingly) lost a client due to the camera that I use.

Sorensen Registered since 27th Apr 2008Mon 27-Sep-10 10:56 AM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 10

Faro, PT

Yeah; I m wondering if I should try to find a D90 at a clearance price.

But the entry/Hobby/Enthusiast/etc labels are a bit misleading.

I met a pro (in the sense he was living from taking pictures) last spring, who was using a D50. He may have ad another one for his job which was medical photography, but he bought the D50 because, as he said, "it was light and he would not be ruined if an elephant stepped on it".

/Martin

---

"Old age looks like a pretty bad deal until you consider the alternative."

thephilmaster Registered since 20th Sep 2010Mon 27-Sep-10 02:15 PM
#24. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 22

CA

I agree that the current labels are misleading and a better system would be helpful. as for the naming of the the d7000 in the 1000 series of cameras, and my uncle's objection to it, I simply looked up the history of naming the D## cameras and found that the lower model, D40 moved eventually to D60 and then, in a way, made the jump over to the D3000.

@Sorensen - ya clearly the d90 is a very competent camera. and the idea of getting a clearance price on the body and investing more in lenses is a very appealing option to me too... but i always like getting the latest and greatest... so I dont know what to do haha

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 27-Sep-10 04:36 PM
28756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: D90 replacement?"
In response to Reply # 24

Paignton, GB

>I simply looked up the history of naming the D## cameras and
>found that the lower model, D40 moved eventually to D60 and
>then, in a way, made the jump over to the D3000.

My earlier reply touched on this. To be accurate, the D40 was announced in November 2006, and the D40x was added in March 2007. The D40x was pretty soon replaced by the D60, in January 2008, while the D40 continued. The D5000 was announced in April 2009, in effect sitting above the D60, then in July 2009 the D3000 was announced and once it was available the D40 and D60 were discontinued.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #104 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.