Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10392
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Wed 22-Jun-11 04:50 AM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"

Pittsford, US

I've used Photo Mechanic very happily since my D70s.
I know that Nikon disabled the capacity to see the D7000's SD card as a mass storage location from my computer (Win XP). I thought it should ingest from a card reader -- yet this works with neither of my card readers, which did fine earlier.
All I seem to be able to do is use Nikon Transfer or just copy from the card in the reader and paste into folder, then open the folder in Photo Mechanic to do its work.
Has anyone else had these problems, and maybe a solution? I've used PM up to version 4.6.6, though haven't tried ingesting yet with 4.6.7.
Thank you!

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000
Kirk Baker Gold Member
22nd Jun 2011
chroaz Gold Member
22nd Jun 2011
km6xz Moderator
22nd Jun 2011
RYnikon Silver Member
22nd Jun 2011
mklass Platinum Member
22nd Jun 2011
chroaz Gold Member
22nd Jun 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Jun 2011
RYnikon Silver Member
23rd Jun 2011
Kirk Baker Gold Member
23rd Jun 2011
Golfster Gold Member
23rd Jun 2011
RYnikon Silver Member
23rd Jun 2011
chroaz Gold Member
23rd Jun 2011
RYnikon Silver Member
24th Jun 2011

Kirk Baker Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Wed 22-Jun-11 01:18 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Robb,

Photo Mechanic won't Ingest directly from a camera unless the card in the camera shows up as an actual disk on your computer.

But I take it that you're saying even if you take the card out of your D7000 and put it into a dedicated card reader your card won't mount as a disk on your computer?

That's really odd. Are you sure the card has has been formatted and has images on it?

Kind regards,

-Kirk

Kirk A. Baker
Senior Software Engineer
Camera Bits, Inc.

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Wed 22-Jun-11 02:56 PM
599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Cave Creek, US

Robb -yes that's very odd. I used PM 4.6.6 and it works via a card reader and also using the built in card slot in the iMac without any problems - exactly the same with 4.6.7 too.

Perhaps a badly/wrongly formatted card?

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.throughmeyelens.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 22-Jun-11 03:04 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

JPG or NEF files?
I suspect you are shooting RAW NEF format and your version of PM has not been updated with a profile for rendering files from D7000. Rendering of RAW files is dependent on camera model specific configuration files.
If this is the problem, any JPG images you have on the card should transfer fine.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Wed 22-Jun-11 05:28 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 22-Jun-11 05:33 PM by RYnikon

Pittsford, US

Thank you, Kirk, Chris & Stan,

I'm shooting NEFs. The card mounts, and images are on the card (that's why I can copy and paste via Window's file system through the card reader).

PM will ingest a movie file, but says its done even though there are images in the same folder on the card. It may even know there are other files there, since at the bottom of the ingest screen it says something like "0 of 65", although that doesn't change. (I'm not sure what the significance of that message really is.)

I'll try another card, just to be sure of it, too. I routinely reformat, not erase it, after I've moved the images to my computer.

Robb

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 22-Jun-11 06:16 PM
5573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

Have you update PM to v4.6.7? That might do the trick. Also, if you stillhave problems, post a note in the Camera Bits support forum. You will probably get a very quick answer.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Wed 22-Jun-11 06:47 PM
599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Cave Creek, US

You might also try reinstalling the software - a pain, but can work!

The Camera Bits Forums are very responsive, as mklass says.

Good luck,

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 23-Jun-11 12:22 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Kingston, CA

I just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit and ran into a similar problem yesterday. There was a Photo Mechanic fix necessary to make ingestion work:

http://www.camerabits.com/site/faq.html

But I gather from your message you are still at Win XP. Is that correct?

Peter

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Thu 23-Jun-11 03:10 AM
#9. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Pittsford, US

Right.

Robb

Kirk Baker Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Thu 23-Jun-11 07:45 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Robb,

>I'm shooting NEFs. The card mounts, and images are on the
>card (that's why I can copy and paste via Window's file system
>through the card reader).
>
>PM will ingest a movie file, but says its done even though
>there are images in the same folder on the card. It may even
>know there are other files there, since at the bottom of the
>ingest screen it says something like "0 of 65",
>although that doesn't change. (I'm not sure what the
>significance of that message really is.)

Try turning 'Incremental Ingest' off and then Ingesting again.

Kind regards,

-Kirk

Kirk A. Baker
Senior Software Engineer
Camera Bits, Inc.

Golfster Gold Member Nikonian since 21st May 2006Thu 23-Jun-11 02:53 AM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Upland, US

Robb...

I'm successfully using my D7000 with Windows XP Home SP 3 and Photo Mechanic 4.5.4; I am able to upload the SD Card through a card reader and thereby ingest both NEF and JPEGs.

Sorry, I have no solution.

Best Regards, Dennis.

A Nikonian in California

My Nikonians Gallery

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Thu 23-Jun-11 03:11 AM
#10. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Pittsford, US

At least demonstrating how it should work, so I know there will be a solution. Thanks!

Robb

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Thu 23-Jun-11 04:02 PM
#12. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Cave Creek, US

You don't have "Copy Locked Files Only" turned on in the ingest dialogue box by any chance do you? That would prevent ingest.

Good luck,

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Fri 24-Jun-11 05:45 AM
#13. "RE: Photo Mechanic won't ingest from D7000"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 25-Jun-11 03:24 AM by RYnikon

Pittsford, US

Turns out, Kirk and Chris led me to the solution, which was to re-inspect my Ingest settings. The "Filter Files" setting was "Copy non-RAW photos" (only, it is now obvious). I switched that to "Copy RAW and non-RAW photos" and all is good, incremental and not. I don't remember changing that setting, but who knows?

Kurt, it is great that you are monitoring discussions relating to PM on the forum. It's good for users and that makes it good for PM. I checked the Camera Bits forum first, didn't see this problem (no one else is so blind), but will post there another time.

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful advice. This is the place to get that, even when overlooking such an obvious issue.

Robb

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10392 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.