Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10313
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 vs. D3X in Studio" Previous topic | Next topic
aztwang Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2009Sun 19-Jun-11 06:23 AM
380 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 vs. D3X in Studio"
Sun 19-Jun-11 07:03 AM by aztwang

Avondale, US

I was looking to pick up a D3X for studio work instead of my D3S. I wanted a few more megapixels and dynamic range for high contrast work. So.... I got back a D7000 from my son who did not honor his schooling obligations. After reading up on it and specifications I believe this will work fantastic in the studio given its native ISO of 100 and over one and a half stops more DR than the D3X. Given the extra 4 megapixels and increased DR I think the file quality and size will work out great after minimal post cropping. First studio session will be coming up this week ( just finished the studio) and I'll make sure to post some images up for ya'll.
I used it at a WNBA game last night. Settings were ISO 4000 @ F2.8 and 1000 with a 70-200 VR II. ( Phoenix Mercury vs. San Antonio Stars). Here's Mercury's Diana Taurasi driving the lane. Diana is one of the premier players in the WNBA. Uncropped, straight out of camera with the exception of about 20 points of sharpness and 55 points of noise reduction in Lightroom3. Second image Becky Hammond with the Stars trying to avoid Mercurys Dewanna Bonner. Similar adjustments and added some exposure.

Ciao

"Technical aspects MUST be innate"

Visit my website: phxsports.net

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sun 19-Jun-11 07:45 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 vs. D3X in Studio"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>I was looking to pick up a D3X for studio work instead of my D3S. I wanted a few more megapixels and dynamic range for high
>contrast work.
It is difficult to comment - because a common aim in studio work is to control the lighting to keep the dynamic range within that of the recording medium.
The dynamic range of any recent DSLR is significantly wider than what went before - high quality slide film. There are not many studio lighting constraints in 2011
The D3x is old technology in a current body. It puts resolution ahead of noise with a maximum normal ISO rating of 1600 compared to 6400 normal maximum of 6400.
1600 is more than enough for studio work - the D3x should have better resolution in the studio - though at more than 5 times the price in the UK.
Another advantage of the D3x for studio portraiture is the 85-135 FX portrait lenses are designed to the 24x36 format as regards likely working distance.
It is interesting that Sony has just ceased production of it's 24 MP 24x36 body, saying (in effect your observation) 18 MP Sony FX is too close in resolution to keep producing 2 bodies.
Putting MP in perspective printing at 300 dpi and ignoring interpolation software 12 MP is good for a 13 inch wide print, 16 MP for a 16 inch wide print, and 24 MP is good for 20 inches wide. A jump from 16 to 20 inches (D7000 to D3x) is less significant than from 13 to 20 inches (D3s/300s to D3x).
Your comparison at 4000 ISO (not with the D3x) is not typical studio work.
As you noted the D7000 does remarkably well - to be expected as high ISO noise and especially high ISO dynamic range is much improved in bodies like the D7000.
That is not to say at 4000 ISO and definitely by 10,000 ISO the D3s does not have a noise advantage - it does.
On the other hand the D7000 holds up well on dynamic range (as you noticed) - and resolution falls off a lot less on the D7000 at ISO 3200 compared to 200 than the D3s or D300s.
Right now Nikon are behind Canon or Sony for "affordable" more than 12 MP recently introduced FX bodies - and the D7000 exposes the current Nikon time lag.
Patience can be a virtue if you shoot Nikon.
There was a similar Nikon time lag pre D3 and D3s - but when the new bodies arrived they re wrote FX body performance.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

aztwang Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2009Sun 19-Jun-11 08:32 AM
380 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 vs. D3X in Studio"
In response to Reply # 1

Avondale, US

The images I pt up were just for others to look at for the settings they were shot at , not comparing to studio work. I figure I can save 6K have more MP and still have some more DR
when needed ok maybe not so much in studio but Landscape also. I just think it will bridge a small gap between the D3S and the D3X for the time being. Thanks for the input!!

"Technical aspects MUST be innate"

Visit my website: phxsports.net

BassOverflow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2007Mon 20-Jun-11 12:55 PM
419 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 vs. D3X in Studio"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Can't wait to see some studio shots with the D7000!!

~Joe in Western NC

My Nikonians Gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 20-Jun-11 01:32 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 vs. D3X in Studio"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

>Can't wait to see some studio shots with the D7000!!

Yes! Where are they?

Especially by comparison to popular Studio Cameras.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10313 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.