Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10284
View in linear mode

Subject: "Video" Previous topic | Next topic
DocPMD Registered since 17th Jun 2011Sat 18-Jun-11 01:28 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Video"

US

We are taking our first family vacation in years to Disney World next month and I'm using that as an excuse to upgrade my system. I'm toying with either purchasing a D7000 (upgrading from a D70) or upgrading to the 24-70mm f2.8 (from 18-70mm f3.5). Can't afford to do both.

One of the things that will impact my decision is the video capabilities of the D7000. I am counting on being able to video the family using the D7000, but most comments that I read are pretty negative, or say that you need to use a tripod. That won't be an option on the trip.

Can current owners please comment on using the D7000 for video?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Video
four eighty sparky Silver Member
18th Jun 2011
ricphoto
18th Jun 2011
DocPMD
18th Jun 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
18th Jun 2011
Robman3
19th Jun 2011

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 18-Jun-11 02:07 AM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Video"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I never purchased the D7k for it's video capabilities, although I have done some quick 'documentary' vids. From what I've heard, it's not all that great for producing 'great' videos. But it may be just fine for the family vacation.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Sat 18-Jun-11 03:24 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Video"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, US

You might want to ask this over in the Nikonians DSLR video forum where's there's folks that have actually used and are continuing to use the camera for videos and are having great success with it...

as a matter of fact that's the primary reason I bought mine and I use them professionally just about everyday...

just a thought...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

DocPMD Registered since 17th Jun 2011Sat 18-Jun-11 04:53 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Video"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for the info. I hadn't noticed that there was a video section. Going over there to browse now.

Maybe one of the moderators can move this topic over there?

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 18-Jun-11 01:25 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Video"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 18-Jun-11 01:27 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I also bought my D7000 for the Video.
I now have two that I use for Event Photography.
The D7000 is much better for Action Stills.

I found the D5100 to be even better for Hiking, Trips, and Video.
The camera and kit lens cost less than a D7000.
I like to shoot HD Video at 30fps.
With either camera the key is sloooow and steady.
A Video TriPod and Head are best, but it is possible to hand hold the CAM.
I've tried all kinds of apparatus, but have not been able to walk and shoot.
Main problems:
I can not make myself walk slow enough.
And I can not balance a book on my head while walking.

Order early and PRACTICE Practice practice practice......

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sun 19-Jun-11 12:01 AM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Video"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 19-Jun-11 12:06 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

HI Doc,

If you prefer handy cam video for image stabilization, then take one for video and be happy.

If you are making content driven edits, using video software for some type of published use and not just DVDs to slay the family with during holiday parties then the D7K currently is the HDslr leader of the pack with regard to broadcast level quality.

There are hundreds of HDslr's out right now world wide, being used in concert with and solely, for large scale and small scale film and television productions, commercials, web videos and documentaries etc.

Not sure why or what negatives you allude to however, as Ric stated, see the DSLR forum.

I do hand hold the rig, but prefer a video fluid head and tripod (Not Disney approved no doubt).

With some practice, short takes are then stabilized in Adobe CS5.5's After Effects if these are too shaky and some folks will add camera shake in post so go figure.

Odds are now days, you won't be able to tell a TV commercial shot with a DSLR camera from one shot with a Cine camera, once it's rendered as product.

The value especially, lies with the lens choices one can incorporate into the shoot, expanding the low light capture ability, depth of field and audio synching with a field hand held recorder.

There are some basic rules yes, but I would add to Ric's advice, that if you are leveling your aim to shoot any video on the D7K, then set the thread to read oldest first, and dig in.

Audio, lighting, filters, it's all there.

In that forum, there are no rookie questions left to ask (I think) I should know, I've asked most of them.

Have fun,

Rob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10284 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.