Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10061
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF Fine Tune Question" Previous topic | Next topic
billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Sat 11-Jun-11 11:48 AM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF Fine Tune Question"

US

At what distance should test images to tune AF be done?
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: AF Fine Tune Question
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
11th Jun 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
11th Jun 2011
TomCurious
12th Jun 2011
jadiniz
12th Jun 2011
billgreen
12th Jun 2011

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Sat 11-Jun-11 02:03 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF Fine Tune Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

AF Fine Tuning has been a very popular discussion topic here. Have you searched on Fine Tune and read the previous threads? - there is an enormous amount of information as well as debate in some recent threads.

Visit my gallery.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 11-Jun-11 04:19 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF Fine Tune Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Many (but not all) commercial targets are intended to be used at around 26x focal length.
However Fine Tune testing is prone to AF system front and back focus issues which have nothing to do with the lens if you use an inappropriate target for checking.
For what might be inappropriate see the guidance in your camera instruction book on what to avoid to get good results using AF or
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4585
Most reports of lens problems use targets which Nikon warn can induce front or back focus which has nothing to do with the lens
Nikon are confident enough about their products to say in their fine tune notes
1/ Fine Tune is normally not required
2/ using Fine Tune is likely to interfere with infinity or minimum focus.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Sun 12-Jun-11 06:21 AM
2318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AF Fine Tune Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

Ignore the guidelines and test your lenses at the most used distance. I.e. there is little point to calibrate a portrait lens at infinity or a wildlife lens at close focus. I have had some cases where the subject distance had an impact on AF tuning. For some lenses it does not matter. Either way, this approach will work.

Keep in mind that most lenses should not need any AF fine tuning. Also, if done improperly you can make it worse. I would generally consider AF fine tuning only if you actually observe focus issues in your normal lens use.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sun 12-Jun-11 03:32 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AF Fine Tune Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Estoril, PT

The absolute worst-case scenario where a focusing error would show up is at minimum range, maximum aperture - these would result in the absolute minimal DOF for any lens, and eventually the subject would lie outside the acceptably focused planes (front or back). However, unless you regularly shoot at that range, it would be unwise to calibrate it like that, for you might find that a slight back focusing at close range might become a front focusing at medium or long ranges... IMHO.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Sun 12-Jun-11 03:53 PM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: AF Fine Tune Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks to all for the responses. After some testing with many "real life" shots (not test charts) I find that I cannot get a definite setting on the 2 lenses I was trying to evaluate. At one point one setting looked good, then another, then having the fine tune off was OK. I think the best advise came from those who urged me not to fool with it. That's exactly what I've decided. I'll leave well enough alone.
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10061 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.