Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1006
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D7000 first DSLR" Previous topic | Next topic
Chiguy Registered since 28th Sep 2010Tue 19-Oct-10 02:21 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"New D7000 first DSLR"

Oak Foest, US

I'm new to the site and have been reading posts on the new D7000 I'm not new to photography bought my Olympus OM2 in 1976 and OM2s later have lots of lenses which can be used on Oly E30 but dont like the 4/3 system. I had been looking at the D90 or 300s but holding out for the D7000 for my first DSLR because I do a lot of high school sports indoor and outdoor where I need high ISO speed I see from reading I will have a big learning curve I like to shot aperature priority. I must say it's a little intimadating all the adjustments that can be made and I know nothing about photoshop editing have been looking into Elements 9. I will be checking this site often for advice

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D7000 first DSLR
briantilley Moderator
19th Oct 2010
Chiguy
19th Oct 2010
MEMcD Moderator
19th Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator
19th Oct 2010
PI_is_314
20th Oct 2010
Chiguy
20th Oct 2010
PI_is_314
20th Oct 2010
kentak Silver Member
20th Oct 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
20th Oct 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 19-Oct-10 02:31 PM
28756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D7000 first DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Ralph. We'll be here when you have questions to ask

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Chiguy Registered since 28th Sep 2010Tue 19-Oct-10 05:16 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: New D7000 first DSLR"
In response to Reply # 1

Oak Foest, US

Thanks Brian
I'm sure I will have some

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 19-Oct-10 08:42 PM
25738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D7000 first DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ralph,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Thanks for the intro.
Good Luck and Enjoy your nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 19-Oct-10 08:58 PM
8523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D7000 first DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Ralph

Welcome to Nikonians.

Software can be as intimidating as the new camera, but it does not need to be. We have a number of forums dedicated to software, so whatever product you choose we'll try to help.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

PI_is_314 Registered since 04th Sep 2007Wed 20-Oct-10 02:00 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D7000 first DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Oshkosh, US

If it makes you feel any better, many of us are in the same (or smaller) boat you're in. I had been looking at the D300 before it was released back in, what? 2007 or 2008 I think. I've settled for an upgraded point and shoot, and saving my money.

I love to take travel photos of landscape, wildlife, and some artsy-archetecural stuff and have started (barely) submitting some microstock photos. My basic photographic knowledge is pretty limited (apologies to Nikonians, Ken Rockwell, and Thom Hogan). However, I want to learn and expand my capabilities.

I picked up my first DSLR by grabbing the D7000 kit at Best Buy. We have migrating geese in our backyard and I'm guessing they aren't the best subjects to bolster the confidence of a novice. My first 92 photos (hello! continuous shooting) look fantastic on the 3" camera display. However upon closer review after downloading - not so much. Probably would have done better with my point and shoot to be honest.

Other than iPhoto, I don't have any type of photo software. That's a whole different beast.

Anyway, it's a journey. I've got a Nikon. I've got Nikonians. What more can you ask for?

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Chiguy Registered since 28th Sep 2010Wed 20-Oct-10 03:00 AM
#6. "RE: New D7000 first DSLR"
In response to Reply # 5

Oak Foest, US

Hi Mark
I do a lot of different shots as well travel and cityscapes and events. You have some nice shots in your gallery what type of lense do you have with your D7000
Ralph

PI_is_314 Registered since 04th Sep 2007Wed 20-Oct-10 03:13 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New D7000 first DSLR"
In response to Reply # 6

Oshkosh, US

I only have the kit lens for now (18-105mm). I figure I'll work on getting that figured out before I spend more!!

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 20-Oct-10 05:40 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New D7000 first DSLR"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>I only have the kit lens for now (18-105mm). I figure I'll
>work on getting that figured out before I spend more!!
>
>Mark
>

Good strategy. No doubt you will get more lenses, but in the meantime, the kit lens isn't a bad performer. Sure, not as fast as we'd like, but it has a pretty useful zoom range. Enjoy.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 20-Oct-10 03:37 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New D7000 first DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Welcome to Nikonians Ralph and congrats on the D7000!

Do some research on aperture priority and Auto-ISO with setting a minimum shutter speed and min and max ISO. You should find this technique works very well for low-light shooting.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1006 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.