Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10058
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Locks Up" Previous topic | Next topic
greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Sat 11-Jun-11 04:03 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Locks Up"

US

My dad recently bought a D7000 and a spare battery (upgrading from a D90). He's been having problems with it randomly locking up. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as it can happen after a lot of use or it could happen on his first shot after turning the camera on. He has a 2nd genuine Nikon battery and it happens with both of his batteries. He's using 8GB Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/S SDHC cards with it. Pulling the battery fixes it for some random amount of time. When it happens, the display just freezes and no controls will respond - not even the power switch.

It's a USA model bought from Amazon, so he shouldn't have any problem getting service for it. The question is has anyone else run across this and found any solution? Any idea what Nikon's current turnaround time is on service?

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Locks Up
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Jun 2011
wesmannmsu Silver Member
11th Jun 2011
kuzzy Silver Member
11th Jun 2011
baines11 Silver Member
11th Jun 2011
greynolds Gold Member
12th Jun 2011

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 11-Jun-11 01:34 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Locks Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

Is the camera set for focus priority?
It will not shoot if not in focus or even if the camera thinks so.

Is there any error message on the screen?
The lens contacts could be bad or dirty.

Years ago, my wife managed to jam her battery in crooked and bent the contacts.
Check that if you can.
There could also be some lint or dirt in the battery compartment.

Call Nikon service before sending it in.
They may be able to help over the phone.

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011Sat 11-Jun-11 02:23 PM
302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Locks Up"
In response to Reply # 1

US

are there two dashes on the top screen? like this "--"

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Sat 11-Jun-11 03:56 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Locks Up"
In response to Reply # 2

Milford, US

D7000 Manual page 306. I am not sure what the explaination is but maybe it will make sense to you but it has something to do with shutter speed. Sounds like in Smode your shutter speed is either too low or too high.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

baines11 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2011Sat 11-Jun-11 11:30 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Locks Up"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I had the same problem with mine. Unfortunately the only solution is to send it back to have the shutter mechanism replaced or if it has only been a few weeks exchange it.

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Sun 12-Jun-11 12:40 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Locks Up"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for the replies, but the problem isn't that the shutter won't release but that the entire camera locks up. When this happens, he can't perform any actions until he pulls the battery. He can't go into the setup menu, the command dials don't operate, the info button doesn't function, etc. As soon as he pulls the battery and puts it back in, he's fine again for some amount of time until it invariably happens again. We're assuming it will have to go to Nikon for repair (he was just past the 30 day return window with Amazon), and were just wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem. Naturally we're currently traveling, but at least he can work around it for now.

Geoff

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10058 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.