Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #993
View in linear mode

Subject: "noiseware free v nik dfine - sample image compare..." Previous topic | Next topic
s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Tue 02-Apr-13 11:36 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"noiseware free v nik dfine - sample image compare..."

US

Currently exploring noise reduction software solutions. Picture taken on D200, ISO 800 (danger zone...), 300 f/4 af-s, 1/800 sec, f/8 handheld.

Subject about 18 feet away. Taken thru glass door...lousy long lens technique...at any rate..i don't see much of a difference. or maybe i need more time experimenting with the software to extract maximum value. Both images cropped about 60% with 145/1.4/1 CS2 sharpening (yes I am using CS2...)

Not sure how to compare the noise reduction parameters, but I recall the noiseware sliding bars were 70/80%, the Nik just over 100%, but not sure that is comparing apples to oranges as the noiseware sliders top out at 100%....

Noiseware visually looks nice, but bird looks almost cartoonish compares to Nik..

Noiseware freeware version:

Nik Define 2.0 CS2 Plug:

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Sat 06-Apr-13 01:13 PM
4544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: noiseware free v nik dfine - sample image compare..."
In response to Reply # 0

Bidford on Avon, GB

At this size it's hard to see the noise — are you able to post larger examples?

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Tue 16-Apr-13 01:43 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: noiseware free v nik dfine - sample image compare..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Martin, please see my Gallery where large rendering is posted. Thank you.

excuse typos...via iPad....

cutupguy Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2008Mon 29-Apr-13 06:13 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: noiseware free v nik dfine - sample image compare..."
In response to Reply # 2

Tualatin, US

I have used Noiseware (Pro) for many years and have been very pleased with it. But when Google gave me Dfine2 I liked the seldom-miss automatic corrections and gave Noiseware to my son.

I would think the best way to compare the two would be to fine tune the settings in each program and then compare the results. Otherwise you are really just comparing the defaults of each. My feeling is that both programs do a great job and adjusting for the best image in each program will probably produce identical results. Then it comes down to how they fit into your workflow.

Al

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #993 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.