Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #864
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which NIK Software Collection to Buy" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Thu 31-Jan-13 12:53 AM
324 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"

Aventura, US

Hi All,
I have Lightroom 4 (LR4) and Photoshop Elements 10 (PSE10). The version of the collection that works in both LR4 and PSE10 costs $500 while the version that works only in LR4 costs $300.

If I purchase the version that works in LR4 but not in PSE10 will this be usable for me. They way I would use it would be to apply the NIK filters/plugins in LR4 and then do additional editing in PSE10. is this going to be a viable workflow. -- I am not a professional - just a serious amateur.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy
mklass Platinum Member
31st Jan 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
mklass Platinum Member
31st Jan 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
walkerr Administrator
31st Jan 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
mklass Platinum Member
31st Jan 2013
walkerr Administrator
31st Jan 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
walkerr Administrator
31st Jan 2013
ShaoLynx Gold Member
02nd Feb 2013
somhompho Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
Ajjra Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
somhompho Silver Member
07th Mar 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 31-Jan-13 04:18 AM
6057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Jan-13 04:19 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

The LR version actually allows you to use each plug-in as a standalone program. You can either start it from LR, or you can drag and drop an image file onto an icon on your desktop for the plug-in. (The plug-ins, except for HDR Efex, do not have a file|open menu.)

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Thu 31-Jan-13 01:55 PM
324 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

Thanks Mick. I shoot in RAW. So does that mean I need to convert to jpeg, either in LR4 or PSE10 and then do further processing on the jpeg using the NIK software?

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 31-Jan-13 02:17 PM
6057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

I generally use jpg of tiff, but you might be able to open a psd.

Mick
or

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Thu 31-Jan-13 02:51 PM
#4. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 3

Aventura, US

One last thing that is confusing me. I watched the NIK videos that demonstrate the workflow that shows how you use each product sequentially. It shows that when you do some steps that new layers are created. Since Lightroom doesn't have layers I'm not sure what is going on. hope I am explaining my question well.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 03:08 PM
14693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

It's probably showing the plug-ins being used in Photoshop. There is a great deal more flexibility if you use plug-ins in Elements via layers (I think that works - I don't own Elements) and even more in the full Photoshop where you can update and edit the plug-ins' parameters via the smart filter function.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Thu 31-Jan-13 03:11 PM
#6. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 5

Aventura, US

I'm sure your right. I was trying to avoid buying the Full Version because it's $200 more expensive. My question is really --is it a useful tool if it is launched from Lightroom where layers are not available.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 31-Jan-13 04:00 PM
#7. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

Steve,

The answer to that depends on what workflow you are comfortable with.

I rarely use more that 1 Nik Plug-in on a image, and if I do it is usually Dfine for noise reduction, plus one other. So maintaining layers isn't important to me.

If you care comfortable working on a jpg or if sequentially, then it would be useful. If you need layers, then get the PS edition.

You might also want to look into onOne's Photo Suite 7, which does have layers capability, even when use with LR. It creates and maintains psds, even from jpgs and tif.

Mick
or

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 05:01 PM
14693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 6

Colorado Springs, US

Different people have different preferences. Even though I have the LR plug-ins in addition to the Photoshop ones and use both LR and Photoshop, I never use the LR plug-ins. For me, there is a lot of value in isolating the changes to a layer. I use more than one filter fairly often, and layers are one way to isolate those changes. In addition, you can vary the opacity of a layer to vary the strength of a filter at a later date.

I actually go a step further and have most everything in my workflow non-destructive because I sometimes change my mind about how an image should look and don't want to recreate everything from scratch. It can be easy to either undershoot or overshoot an edit, and it's no fun creating a bunch of edits and control points from scratch again. Unfortunately, you can't do all of that with Elements, but you can handle portions of it.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Thu 31-Jan-13 05:32 PM
#9. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 8

Aventura, US

I found an excellent tutorial on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHNLIr1zBc
(produced by NIK)
which explains how to use NIK software in
Lightroom. They show how to do selective edits
without needing Photoshop. It seems very powerful.
They also give a promocode which they say provides
a 15% discount. Based on this I think I will buy the Lightroom
only version.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 06:03 PM
#10. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 9

Colorado Springs, US

Keep in mind that you can download a trial version and see what you prefer.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

ShaoLynx Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2010Sat 02-Feb-13 07:01 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 9

Tienen, BE

Here's another thought:
I use the entire NIK suite for Lightroom, not wanting the complete suite for the same financial reason.
So, I can't go back and tweak the filters, right?
Well, not entirely.
Alllow me to explain. I mostly use CEP4. I really love it to death.
I've made some custom recipes and that's when I got the idea: imagine going from LR to CEP4 and applying an intricate yet elaborate set of carefully fine-tuned filters.
Now, if I want to be able to come back and tweak the options some way, I save the current setting to a recipe I call ''Temp'', and next time around I just start from the orig. picture, apply the Temp recipe and continue from there.
A small way to save 200 bucks.
I'm sure: not the same thing as smart filters, but it gets close.

somhompho Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Tue 05-Feb-13 09:04 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 11

Madison, US

I now have the Nik plu-in that work with LR & Photoshop. So now, like Rick I apply Nik as layer in PS.

Up until 6 months ago, I have Nik edition that works with LR only. In that work flow: for each Nik filter (CEP, Vivaza, SilverEfex etc.) it go from LR-to-Nik, save as Tiff back to LR, and the send that tiff to Nik again for the next filter. So yes I end up with several tiff files if i apply more than 1 Nik filter, plus Photoshop/Element sometime. That was comber some, I like my new workflow better.

Som
www.HomphoPhotography.com

Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010Thu 07-Mar-13 03:53 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 12

Brooklyn, US

Anyone know if there is an upgrade available from the Lightroom/Aperture collection ($299) to the Photoshop collection ($499) if one decides they need the Photoshop functionality later? The NIK website does not seem to indicate.

somhompho Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Thu 07-Mar-13 06:17 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Which NIK Software Collection to Buy"
In response to Reply # 13

Madison, US

There is no 'upgrade packege' from Lightroom/Aperature colllection to PS version per say, but you just switch over to the Photoshop complete collection version. When I did that in Oct 2012, it cost US$200 + tax.

www.HomphoPhotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #864 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.