Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #836
View in linear mode

Subject: "can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?" Previous topic | Next topic
pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sat 22-Dec-12 12:04 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"

Tucson AZ, US

For quite some time I have been using HDR Efex Pro for Lightroom (HEPL) as a standalone application on Windows 7. Today, I purchased the HDR Efex Pro 2 for lightroom (HEPL2) upgrade using my existing product key and installed it. During installation, the installer asked me to specify a host application. Since I don't intend to run the program as a plugin, I did not specify a host. The resulting executable, when double-clicked, starts a process, but does not launch application window.

I know that Nik says they no longer support a standalone mode for their plugins, but I have heard repeated claims by users that they have gotten HEPL2 to work as one. If someone knows the trick for Windows 7, please do tell!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?
davidd1833 Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
pwarbeck Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
29th Dec 2012
pwarbeck Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
29th Dec 2012
pwarbeck Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
29th Dec 2012
pwarbeck Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
29th Dec 2012
pwarbeck Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
pwarbeck Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
30th Dec 2012

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 01:58 AM
426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

Hi

The Lightroom versions of the Nik programs can be run as stand-alone applications, so if you specify Lightroom as your host, it will install the correct version.

David

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 03:24 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 1

Tucson AZ, US

Thanks, David, but Nik Support has confirmed that it does not run standalone. Here is the response I received from them:

"Unfortunately, HDR Efex Pro 2 is not meant to be run as a stand alone product, unlike its previous version.  Because of this, I will help you with a refund."

They refunded my money.  

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 29-Dec-12 03:43 AM
14544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

Neither HDR Efex Pro nor HDR Efex Pro 2 was designed as a stand alone product, but both work as one. As was already mentioned, it's the Lightroom module that works this way. I just ran five tiffs through HDR Efex Pro 2 in stand alone mode, and it worked fine.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 04:16 AM
#4. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson AZ, US

Hi Rick,
I'd like to know how your setup differs from mine.

I am also using "the Lightroom version" of HDR Efex Pro 2, which I obtained by checking the Lightroom checkbox on the download page. Lightroom itself is not part of my workflow.

Installing creates two executables under C:\Program Files\Nik Software: a 32- and a 64-bit. I could not get either of these to launch om "stand alone mode."

Specifically, I tried (1) double-clicking the .exe (2) right-clicking the .exe -> Open (3) dragging a tiff onto the .exe. All three methods start a new Windows process, but do not open an application window.

I'd really love to get this program working, and would be grateful for any help you can give me.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 29-Dec-12 05:00 AM
14544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

I use Macs, so that's a fairly major difference, but I have a Windows 7 64-bit Parallels partition on my MacBook Pro. I just downloaded the Lightroom module of HDR Efex Pro 2 from their website and installed it into that Windows partition. Under the Program Files\Nik Software directory there are two sub-directories that contain the 32-bit and 64-bit application files respectively , along with other supporting files. I ran both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and both worked fine - just like on the Mac OS. I simply double-clicked those application files and it ran. Any chance you're trying to run the 8BF plug-in files rather than the application files? They have the same names so it can be confusing at first glance. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to tell you except I and others (I've taught people to use it in workshops) can get it to work on both Macs and Windows 7 in standalone mode.

Nik has chosen to be conservative on their support stance, but it's not because the programs don't run. They simply lack some of the niceties that they would have received had they decided to go the full distance.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 07:53 AM
#6. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 5

Tucson AZ, US

I'm definitely double clicking the 64-bit executable. The resource monitor shows a 64-bit process that spawns 25 threads, uses 40MB of physical memory, and consumes a steady 25% of a CPU. But no application window appears, even after five minutes.

The process writes a log file (attached)

C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Nik Software\HDR Efex Pro 2\log.html

I don't see anything particularly alarming in the log file.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/240614.pdf

Attachment #1, (pdf file)

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 29-Dec-12 12:37 PM
#7. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 6

Colorado Springs, US

I'm afraid I have no idea why it's not working for you. Sorry!

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 09:43 PM
#8. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 7

Tucson AZ, US

The weird thing is that it's Mac users who are reporting that they are able to launch HEP2 in standalone mode. Makes me wonder if there's a problem in Nik's 64-bit Windows version.

Just for fun, I downloaded and installed a trial copy of Lightroom 4.3. I selected a bracketed series of nefs and did File -> Export -> Nik -> HDR Efex Pro 2. Lightroom does the Nef -> tiff conversion, then hangs at 67% complete. In the task manager, I see that a HEP2 process is running, but again, NO APPLICATION WINDOW APPEARS!

If I export using File -> Export -> Nik -> HEP1, it works just fine.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 29-Dec-12 10:50 PM
#9. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 29-Dec-12 10:51 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

Keep in mind that the tests I ran yesterday were on Windows 7 64-bit rather than the Mac OS. Given that other Windows users can run in standalone mode, and you're having trouble getting HEP2 to work even in conjunction with LR4, it sounds like something else is going on. Maybe a graphics card incompatibility?

Here's what I would do: call back Nik and have them help debug your Lightroom configuration problem while you have the trial version. Doing so may enable you to run the program in standalone mode.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 11:11 PM
#10. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 9

Tucson AZ, US

Thanks, Rick. That's exactly what I'll do.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 07:15 AM
#11. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 9

Tucson AZ, US

Problem solved!

I found the following solution on lightroomforums.net:

"If you graphics card doesn't support Open GL, or you haven't updated your drivers to support Open GL, HDR Efex Pro 2 won't actually load and seems to stall. Version 1 didn't have this problem."

I updated my graphics drivers, which updated OpenGL from version 1.1 to 3.3. HEP2 now launches an application window, both standalone and from Lightroom.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 30-Dec-12 11:53 AM
#12. "RE: can HDR Efex Pro 2 be run as a standalone program?"
In response to Reply # 11

Colorado Springs, US

Great! Enjoy the program.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #836 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.