nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #744
View in linear mode

Subject: "DXO ViewPoint" Previous topic | Next topic
glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Tue 18-Sep-12 09:18 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DXO ViewPoint"

Arlington, US

Anyone start using DXO Viewpoint yet? Just got an email offering it to me for a big discount since I have their other software.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: DXO ViewPoint
glennaa11 Silver Member
01st Oct 2012
Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit
15th Oct 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Oct 2012
dlabrecque Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
29th Dec 2012
NorthBay Gold Member
13th Jan 2013
tuthill Silver Member
13th Jan 2013
NorthBay Gold Member
13th Jan 2013
NorthBay Gold Member
13th Jan 2013
tuthill Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
NorthBay Gold Member
15th Jan 2013
tuthill Silver Member
17th Jan 2013

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Mon 01-Oct-12 01:12 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

So, to answer my own question... I downloaded the free trial. It is extremely simple to use. And the results are astounding. For $29 it seems like a no-brainer. If you shoot a lot of buildings/architecture it corrects your basic issues like keystoning very quickly but with plenty of fine tune adjustments.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006Mon 15-Oct-12 02:10 PM
4745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 1

Newtown, US

HI Glenn,
I downloaded a trial as well. Used it for a bunch of shots I took in Chicago, quickly purchased the program before the trial period ran out.

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 15-Oct-12 05:15 PM
6307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

I also just bought a copy after a trial. Very simple to use and great for correcting perspective distortion.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

dlabrecque Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2007Fri 28-Dec-12 10:20 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 0

Live Oak, US

I got that ad too, but I can't figure out what the difference is between Viewpoint and what you get with Optics Pro 8.1????

DXO doesn't make much effort to explain the differences between the two.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 04:00 AM
6307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

View point deals strictly with perspective distortion and in a more intensive way than I think you can do in Optics Pro.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

NorthBay Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Sun 13-Jan-13 08:29 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

From digging through the DxO forums, I found that the ViewPoint functionality is based on, and fully implemented in, Optics Pro. The advantage of ViewPoint is that it can operate as a Lightroom plug-in, whereas Optics Pro is purely stand-alone. I have Optics Pro v8.1 and really like what it can do with some difficult exposures, so if you’re considering ViewPoint, why not download both trial versions and see if it’s worth the extra investment?
I’ve attached an example – not a great photo, I was experimenting with exposure times – but it shows how Optics Pro recovered highlights out of a totally blown-out sky.

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

tuthill Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2006Sun 13-Jan-13 09:10 PM
151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 6

Fort McMurray, CA

That's pretty good recovery.

Out of interest sake; have you tried processing this same photo with Photo Ninja which has really good highlight recovery? I have both DXO and Photo Ninja and prefer PN for this type of thing.

Mike Tuthill

Nikon D7000, Nikon D90, Tamron 28-300 VC, Nikkor 35-105, Nikkor 50 f1.8, Nikon 70-300 VR, Nikon 80-400 VR, Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-500 OS DG, Sigma 180 EX DG Macro, Nikon 18-200 VR

NorthBay Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Sun 13-Jan-13 10:52 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 7

Janesville, US

Mike:
No, I don’t have Photo Ninja. I use Capture NX2 most of the time, and DxO when I want to fix a distortion or exposure problem. I also use Photoshop Elements for any final cleaning, and HDR Efex Pro 2 for my HDR shots. I may experiment with Ninja’s free trial when I get a chance, just to see how it compares. Thanks for the tip!

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

NorthBay Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Sun 13-Jan-13 10:53 PM
#9. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 7

Janesville, US

Mike:
No, I don’t have Photo Ninja. I use Capture NX2 most of the time, and DxO when I want to fix a distortion or exposure problem. I also use Photoshop Elements for any final cleaning, and HDR Efex Pro 2 for my HDR shots. I may experiment with Ninja’s free trial when I get a chance, just to see how it compares. Thanks for the tip!

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

tuthill Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2006Mon 14-Jan-13 12:24 AM
151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 9

Fort McMurray, CA

>Mike:
>No, I don’t have Photo Ninja. I use Capture NX2 most of the
>time, and DxO when I want to fix a distortion or exposure
>problem. I also use Photoshop Elements for any final
>cleaning, and HDR Efex Pro 2 for my HDR shots. I may
>experiment with Ninja’s free trial when I get a chance, just
>to see how it compares. Thanks for the tip!
>

The trial version doesn't allow you to save your work however if you email support they will give you a 15 day license that unlocks everything. I'd be really interested to hear how it does on your example.

Mike Tuthill

Nikon D7000, Nikon D90, Tamron 28-300 VC, Nikkor 35-105, Nikkor 50 f1.8, Nikon 70-300 VR, Nikon 80-400 VR, Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-500 OS DG, Sigma 180 EX DG Macro, Nikon 18-200 VR

NorthBay Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Tue 15-Jan-13 10:49 PM
#14. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 13

Janesville, US

I downloaded the demo and played with it a bit. I didn’t like it enough to request the 15 day license, though it did a pretty good job of pulling out highlights. At this point, with the money and time I have invested in DxO, I think I’ll stick with that for now. – TJ McCarthy

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

tuthill Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2006Thu 17-Jan-13 05:26 AM
#15. "RE: DXO ViewPoint"
In response to Reply # 14

Fort McMurray, CA

>I downloaded the demo and played with it a bit. I didn’t
>like it enough to request the 15 day license, though it did a
>pretty good job of pulling out highlights. At this point,
>with the money and time I have invested in DxO, I think I’ll
>stick with that for now. – TJ McCarthy

Whatever does the job for you is the right software.

I've blown my money on a number of different products so I don't bear economic allegiance to any of them:-)

Mike Tuthill

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #744 Previous topic | Next topic