Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #730
View in linear mode

Subject: "Google Acquires NIK" Previous topic | Next topic
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 17-Sep-12 04:57 PM
3671 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Google Acquires NIK"
Mon 17-Sep-12 05:05 PM by gpoole

Farmington Hills, US

In NIK's blog today at http://education.niksoftware.com/2012/09/17/google-acquires-nik-software/:

"We are pleased to announce that Google has acquired Nik Software. For nearly 17 years, we’ve been guided by our motto, “photography first”, as we worked to build world class digital image editing tools. We’ve always aspired to share our passion for photography with everyone, and with Google’s support we hope to be able to help many millions more people create awesome pictures.

"We’re incredibly grateful for all of your support and hope you’ll join us on the next phase of our journey as part of Google."

That's all it says. There's no other info.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Google Acquires NIK
wkilburg
17th Sep 2012
mklass Platinum Member
17th Sep 2012
Gandalf_22h Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
ericbowles Moderator
17th Sep 2012
CHP_VR Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
William Symonds
26th Sep 2012
mklass Platinum Member
17th Sep 2012
Ned_L Moderator
18th Sep 2012
PAStime Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
Ned_L Moderator
18th Sep 2012
PAStime Silver Member
19th Sep 2012
dgs2
18th Sep 2012
Ned_L Moderator
19th Sep 2012
dgs2
23rd Sep 2012
PAStime Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
wkilburg
18th Sep 2012
jherrel Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
wkilburg
18th Sep 2012
Reply message To Buy or Not To Buy Nik .....
pollarda Gold Member
19th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik .....
mklass Platinum Member
19th Sep 2012
ShaoLynx Gold Member
19th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now
sfbillm Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
mklass Platinum Member
26th Sep 2012
William Symonds
26th Sep 2012
Ned_L Moderator
26th Sep 2012
William Symonds
26th Sep 2012
cchoc Moderator
26th Sep 2012
William Symonds
26th Sep 2012
Ned_L Moderator
26th Sep 2012
cchoc Moderator
26th Sep 2012
Ned_L Moderator
26th Sep 2012
cchoc Moderator
26th Sep 2012
William Symonds
27th Sep 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
05th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
06th Oct 2012
mklass Platinum Member
06th Oct 2012
marty_sp Silver Member
28th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
29th Oct 2012
ericbowles Moderator
29th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
29th Oct 2012
marty_sp Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
29th Oct 2012
marty_sp Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
29th Oct 2012

wkilburg Registered since 03rd Apr 2011Mon 17-Sep-12 06:31 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkville, US

Well around the net there is a bit more info. And lots of comments.

The general consensus is Google bought Nik for Snapseed and that might not be too far off. Sure there are other products in the Nik suite and the guesses are rampant about what will happen to the top plug-ins they offered and NX software that Nikon uses.

I don't think Google bought Nik with the idea of investing a great deal in the software plug-ins or NX3. Some people hail it as a Godsend thinking NX3 will be immediately improved like Google bought the company just to fix that. Right. I'm a huge Nik fan, owning the collection so this has me bummed a bit. All anyone can do is hope for the best.

-----------------
Wally

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 17-Sep-12 07:11 PM
5909 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I don't think this bodes well for Nik's plug-ins, unless Google turns around and sell them to someone else. I have a hard time thinking of one mega-software company that bought a small, innovative, customer responsive company and then kept it going that way. Usually they strip it of what they want and let the rest die.

Maybe it's good that Nik (Google, Goonik, Noogle,...?) is out of CNX.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Gandalf_22h Silver Member Charter MemberMon 17-Sep-12 07:39 PM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 17-Sep-12 07:44 PM by Gandalf_22h

Runcorn, GB

>I don't think this bodes well for Nik's plug-ins, unless
>Google turns around and sell them to someone else. I have a
>hard time thinking of one mega-software company that bought a
>small, innovative, customer responsive company and then kept
>it going that way. Usually they strip it of what they want and
>let the rest die.
>
>Maybe it's good that Nik (Google, Goonik, Noogle,...?) is out
>of CNX.
>
>Mick
>http://www.mickklassphoto.com
>or
>Visit
>my nikonians gallery>

Nikonian from Cheshire UK
per digitus ad astra

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 17-Sep-12 07:51 PM
8593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I'm a bit more optimistic.

Google is currently in litigation with NANPA and a number of other organization over the rights to use posted images. Maybe that gets resolved positively.

Google likes to compete with Microsoft, Apple, and Adobe. This allows them to have a foot in a competitive position for all three. Microsoft is a possible competitor for photo search and image libraries, Apple is both a device maker and a software company - and a distributor of software. Snapseed is distributed by Apple. And Adobe is a complimentary software company for photo editing and Nik plugins, but a competitor with Snapseed and a potential competitor with a full blown photo editor.

I won't be surprised to see a full editor coming from Nik/Google - similar to Capture but fully open to other cameras and fully integrating the Nik plugins. That would be pretty nice.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

CHP_VR Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Feb 2011Mon 17-Sep-12 08:18 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 4

Newport Beach, US

Hope that's the case, Eric...
I'm more pessimistic/cynical.. I see them trying to absorb this in with Picasso...
Don't think I want to see a google toolbar on my camera software in the future.... Just initial reactions... everything changes...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 26-Sep-12 07:10 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 26-Sep-12 09:49 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

Oh dear - in the 70s I used to feel this way when a big brewer bought up a local brewery.

And press comments saying that Nik is a rival to Instagram is like saying that Mozart rivals the Bay City Rollers.. (though viewed through the filter of a stream of dollars both statements become less ridiculous).

There are some good aspects to all this.

For a free piece of software Picasa is really very good - I run classes at our childrens' school and I steer children towards Picasa and Snapseed. Funnily enough they don't work well in tandem together at all, and I have been rueing that recently (be careful what you wish for!). The good news is that all that will change and that free photographic software will get even better and for that I am grateful.

AND Google have given a statement to the effect that they will continue to develop the high end Nik products..

Earlier this week I proudly welcomed +Nik Software to Google. They've been making pictures more awesome (sic) for 17 years, and we're excited to bring Nik's expertise to the entire Google+ community!

I also want to make something clear: we're going to continue offering and improving Nik's high-end tools and plug-ins.

Professionals across the globe use Nik to create the perfect moment in their photographs (sic)(e.g., http://goo.gl/aDtkO), and we care deeply about their artistry.

BUT back on Planet Earth

This looks like its all about getting Snapseed integrated with Android, Picasa and Google +.

For all the I really do fear that the Nik suite, which I love and adore, will fall away under Google. I hope desperately that I am wrong but cannot see the full suite, which is highly esoteric, being developed by a mass market company like Google. Even if it is sold off I doubt it will be quite the same if absorbed by Adobe or Apple. And that leaves me feeling very sad.

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 17-Sep-12 10:16 PM
5909 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

That would be a good outcome, Eric. Let's hope it happens.

Mick
or

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 18-Sep-12 11:10 AM
6619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 4

Philadelphia, US

I'm somewhat optimistic, but not very optimistic, and have a somewhat different view.

Google has been pretty astute at choosing value for itself when it's made company/product purchases, but they have had purchase failures. The were clearly purchasing Nik to counter Facebook purchasing Instagram, and to enlarge the Snapseed customer base by bringing it to their Android OS, to help there where Instagram currently stands alone. Nik has been saying for quite a while the Android version is coming, but it still hasn't made an appearance. I think it will be released very soon with this purchase, as they will work very hard to complete the project.

I just don't see the Nik plug-ins fitting into Google's long term or even intermediate term future, unless they intend to dramatically raise the stakes in the online gallery/editing software in which their entry is Picasa. Nik technology would fit in nicely there, if they intend to beef up that product substantially, but I'm not particularly sure about that.

I think that generally Google's interests would be served by spinning off the plug-in business to Adobe or Apple, with Adobe likely to want the technology the most to rev up Lightroom and Creative Suite, while Apple would use it for Aperture and they have the cash to out bid anyone. A spin off would drop the cost of Snapseed too. I'm going to hope that Adobe is already inquiring about purchasing Nik's plug-in business right now. I think that's our best hope for the continuance of that part of Nik. Adobe could directly integrate the technology into their products. That would be a real win for photographers.

Personally, however, I'm going to begin looking at other company's products to take the place of my Nik plug-ins for Creative Suite. One must be prepared.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 18-Sep-12 12:09 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 9

Kingston, CA

>I'm going to hope that
>Adobe is already inquiring about purchasing Nik's plug-in
>business right now.

Isn't it too late for that because Nik just sold this intellectual property to Google? And Google and Adobe are competitors as far as I can tell.

Peter

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 18-Sep-12 01:19 PM
6619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 10

Philadelphia, US

I'm not sure what you mean about the sale of "intellectual property" from Nik to Google. According to all reports, Google bought Nik, the entire company; products, building, real estate, equipment, etc.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 19-Sep-12 10:43 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 11

Kingston, CA

>I'm not sure what you mean about the sale of
>"intellectual property" from Nik to Google.
>According to all reports, Google bought Nik, the entire
>company; products, building, real estate, equipment, etc.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your original message. You are suggesting it would be good if Adobe bought the plug-in business from Google/Nik. That would be good!

Peter

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Tue 18-Sep-12 09:17 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 9

San Francisco, US

I agree with Ned. I think Google will do to the plug-ins what Nikon did to NX, ie.give them minimal support. I can't see that they have any reason to push them. Most of photography is going to the smart phone, Facebook, Instagram, arena. But I hope I'm wrong.

Ned, if you find an alternative, let us know. I really love Nik plug-ins and the U-point technology. I just bought the iPad App for Snapseed the night before this announcement because I like it better than iPhoto for the iPad.

dgs

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 19-Sep-12 01:21 AM
#16. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 15

Philadelphia, US

David, it's going to take a while until I get to test new plug-ins as I'm about to head into one of my 2 very busy travel periods and I'm going to working hard at various photo shoots, the work hard to post-process my work, but I will certainly report on potential substitute plug-ins when I complete my evaluation.

I've been using Snapseed for a while, by the way, and find it's pretty good for what it is, and what mobile phone/tablet photography is all about. I've seen some darn good photos taken with phones, but it's nothing like what I can get, nor even as good as a quality point and shoot camera. I mostly use my iPhone for documentation purposes. For example, let's say I just to a photo of a plant with which I'm not familiar. I'll then use my phone to take a quick photo of it and attach a written or dictated note to it explaining what it is, so I can properly label the photo I'll use from my DSLR.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sun 23-Sep-12 06:21 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 16

San Francisco, US

Thanks Ned, totally agree! I have seen very nice photos with iPhone, etc., but no replacement. Unfortunately that's where the action is. I will look forward to any of your posts on this subject, as we seem to be in agreement.

dgs

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 18-Sep-12 01:53 AM
#7. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Following a very brief scan of the net it seems that Google bought Nik as a copycat move to Facebook buying Instagram. Example:

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/09/17/google-acquires-instagram-rival-nik-software/

Makes me wonder if the high end niche market of photo editing plugins (such as Color Efex Pro 4) will survive in the new scheme of things. I sure hope it does.

Peter

wkilburg Registered since 03rd Apr 2011Tue 18-Sep-12 02:59 AM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 18-Sep-12 03:00 AM by wkilburg

Yorkville, US

http://news.yahoo.com/google-snaps-snapseeds-photo-editing-203837541--finance.html

Well, this article doesn't spell good things for anything not Snapseed related. It doesn't even mention the awesome plug ins Nik provided. Just talks about the centerpiece software product. The tone of the article and underlying message isn't good for the other "photo editing software" Nik makes.

-----------------
Wally

jherrel Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007Tue 18-Sep-12 02:59 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 8

Elgin, US

I totally agree. The Nik Software Suite are my favorite plug-ins for Photoshop. I see no short term impact, however future development is suspect versus Google's focus on Snapseed. Highend photo editing is not a mass market and probably won't get attention from Google.

John Herrel
Nikonian from South Carolina
See the light, capture the essence!

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Tue 18-Sep-12 08:23 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

All the speculation is just that.

But didn't Nik say a while ago that there were no plans for a new CNX release? So I wouldn't expect to see CNX3 some out of this.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

wkilburg Registered since 03rd Apr 2011Tue 18-Sep-12 08:55 PM
#14. "RE: Google Acquires NIK"
In response to Reply # 13

Yorkville, US

According to Hogan and others CNX went back to Nikon around 2006 or something. And today I read an article about google folding the other Nik software into their Picasa product.

-----------------
Wally

pollarda Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2007Wed 19-Sep-12 07:09 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 19-Sep-12 07:10 AM by pollarda

Provo, US

I've been planning on picking up a bunch of Nik software. Needless to say, I was impressed by their quality and innovation. Now with the Google acquisition and no clear long term plan / goal, I'm quite hesitant.

On one hand, if I buy it now I'll have a set of tools which I can probably use for quite a few years depending on how locked down their tools are. (For example, can I move it from machine to machine without having to get a new registration key?) I feel a bit trapped as I'm not aware of any other systems with a similar reputation for quality.

On the other hand, I'll end up spending my time learning a set of tools I may or may not be able to use in the future. This also means if I need to recreate a shot sometime in the future I may not be able to.

Are there any other tools which are comparable to Nik's especially when it comes to their B/W and color tools? (I already have PhotoMatix so HDR is covered...)

Thoughts?

-Art

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 19-Sep-12 02:26 PM
#19. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 17

Tacoma, US

You can look at OnOne's PErfect Photo Suite. V7 is about to come out and it has a B&W conversion module. The OnOne tools will are Lightroom compatible, so they should continue to run in standalone mode for us CNX users.

Mick
or

ShaoLynx Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2010Wed 19-Sep-12 07:24 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 19

Tienen, BE

Or have a look at the Topaz suite of tools.
Looks pritty good, too.
Must say, I'm a fairly dedicated NIK user, though.
Will use it until it breaks...

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Mon 24-Sep-12 03:10 PM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"

Santa Fe, US

I decided to hold off on purchasing any more Nik products until I see what happens. (I have the CEP 2 & 3 plug-ins for NX2.)

Your concern about being able to move to a new computer is quite reasonable. We just don't know what Google will do in this matter.

I'm going to give it a year, or sooner if there's something definitive from Google, and then reevaluate depending on what, if anything, is made clear.

SantaFeBill

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 26-Sep-12 09:47 AM
#24. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 22

Tacoma, US

There was an interesting piece on NPR's Morning Edition the other day covering the acquisition by Google and others of software firms, particularly small firms that design smartphone apps. The basic point of the article is that frequently, they are buying these companies not for the software, but for the engineers. With software engineers in such short supply, it is a way to get people quickly and relatively cheaply. The acquiring firm has no intention of maintain the software that came with the purchase.

It probably takes a strong stomach (or big ego) for the owner of a target company to turn down a lucrative offer. Most, I suspect sell out. After all, being bought out by Google for a high price makes for excellent bragging rights, especially if your firm was losing money.

In Nik's case, this would lead me to think even more strongly that Google bought the engineering talent for Snapspeed and the software to integrate into Picasa, or some other system, and that any other Nik software is dead.

I sure hope I am wrong.

Mick
or

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 26-Sep-12 09:55 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 24
Wed 26-Sep-12 09:56 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

I think you are bang on. Otherwise Google would have bought Snapseed and left Nik behind - the problem is that they need the brains too and I suspect in a small company like Nik that is indivisible.

CEP and SEP are totally and utterly wonderful tools, but I am fairly sure they are not generating much discussion in Mountain View just now.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 26-Sep-12 10:47 AM
#26. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 24

Philadelphia, US

I had already said that I agree with you and Will that the purchase was for Snapseed, and I have little doubt for the talent of the engineers who've been developing it.

I also said above, "I just don't see the Nik plug-ins fitting into Google's long term or even intermediate term future, unless they intend to dramatically raise the stakes in the online gallery/editing software in which their entry is Picasa."

My thinking on the Nik plug-ins as changed since then, as I've thought about it some more, and that has given me some more hope for them. I've been thinking about Picasa, and integrating the kind of sophisticated tools found in the Nik plug-ins as applied to Picasa, I now believe is highly unlikely, at least for the next several years.

I say this for 2 reasons. First, Picasa doesn't actually process RAW files, but converts them to JPG for processing. Most people processing RAW files just aren't going to use Picasa anyway due to all the things it can't do, for which they saved their files in RAW in the first place. With JPG files on the other hand, and all the preprocessing that's done in the camera, most of the time Picaas users really have zero interest in the sophisticated actions Nik products can accomplish.

Second, Picasa's strongest aspect is that it's really easy to use. My wife used it for a long time with zero learning. She now uses Photoshop Elements which she likes much better as it can do some darn neat editing. If one adds the sophisticated and detailed Nik tools into Picasa, they will have to be substantially dumbed down for the average Picasa user, which will negate their usefulness and value for Google.

Google's a smartly run company, financially. I've got to believe they are going to look to possibly sell off that part of Nik which doesn't hold much value to them, at the right price. I would think there would be interested buyers out there including Adobe.

Moreover, Adobe has been building in more and more tools to their photo editing products, and raising the power and detail of those tools into Creative Suite and Lightroom. I see that trend increasing as Adobe is going to have to justify the ridiculously high pricing for their products, especially creative suite. So Adobe just might negate much of the reason for the Nik type products over the next 2-3 years.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 26-Sep-12 11:00 AM
#27. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 26

Bogor, ID

Ned

Agree re Raw files. I also think the TIFF files that Nik throws out aren't quite what most Picasa users want. But Snapseed would merge quite nicely with Picasa - it is also very easy to use.

Ironically Nik had put the Android version of Snapseed on the back burner - I recall had the impression (from somewhere and apologies if I just dreamt this) that they thought Android wasn't quite in there creative sphere.

So that leaves the Nik engineers working on Google projects and it would make financial sense for the Nik suite products to find a new home somewhere, else it will, despite the protests to the contrary, simply fade into obsolescence. But it won't be like it was, that's for sure....

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberWed 26-Sep-12 11:54 AM
4532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#28. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 27

Marietta, US

There's a statement from Google on the plugins' future here: https://plus.google.com/+VicGundotra/posts/RG15e22LHHE

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 26-Sep-12 12:09 PM
#29. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 28

Bogor, ID

Read that - "they've been making pictures more awesome" etc.

They'd be bound to say something or sales would dry up totally. They are not committing to much - improvements can be fairly tiny, and eventual actions will speak louder than words.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 26-Sep-12 03:23 PM
#30. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 29

Philadelphia, US

I agree Will. Projects with Google have come and gone before. Despite that utterance, I have no confidence in it and Google at all, about the high end plug-in business.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberWed 26-Sep-12 03:25 PM
4532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#31. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 29

Marietta, US

"eventual actions will speak louder than words" is certainly true. There are a lot of photography enthusiasts working for Google all the way to the top, so hopefully that will influence their decisions regarding the plugins.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 26-Sep-12 03:46 PM
#32. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 31

Philadelphia, US

I certainly acknowledge that there are many photo enthusiasts who work for Google. One person there with whom I've worked often got a D4 a couple of months ago and uses Nik plug-ins in Creative Suite. He tells me there are many at Google like him.

That being said, the folks who are big-time into photography there I know, don't make Google's product strategy or product cycle decisions.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberWed 26-Sep-12 06:38 PM
#33. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 32

Marietta, US

Serge posts a lot of photos on G+ but I don't know what software he uses; anyway, time will tell. If enough folks quit buying and upgrading their Nik plugins out of lack of trust in Google's strategy then their prophecies will be self fulfilling.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 27-Sep-12 01:09 AM
#34. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 33

Bogor, ID

I feel I should mention that I used SEP last night and it works just fine....

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Fri 05-Oct-12 11:44 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 34

Arlington, US

If you don't want to buy their tools then don't, but frankly I don't get this attitude that because they MIGHT not make further improvements tomorrow that it's not worth buying the products they sell today. If they have tools that you need, I don't see why you would hesitate to get them. I love HDR Efx Pro 2. Frankly I expect it will meet my needs indefinitely. I couldn't care less if they make any further improvements or not.

But I have always felt the same about CNX2 as well and never have gotten all the clamor for CNX3. If the current tools do what you need then get them. And don't worry about what tomorrow might bring.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 06-Oct-12 12:32 AM
#36. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 35

Philadelphia, US

Glenn, what you say makes perfect sense, except, when as time goes on and the newer versions of some of the software have some really great improvements, and can make you more productive, and can let you do things far better than ever before.

I know people who felt about Photoshop, Lightroom, and many of the plug-in from various vendors the way you do, that they will meet their needs indefinitely. I would ask if that's really good enough when another version or product comes out which will boost productivity, and/or make it possible to do things with more control, better, etc. For me, I'll move on, not just to get the latest and greatest, but to move on because that move to the latest and greatest gives me real value.

I'm a Photoshop user. I have not always upgraded to the latest version, but I'm using CS6 and therefore the latest new version of Photoshop. I'm glad I did. It has improvements which are substantial which have increased my throughput and improved my work with my photographs. I'm also using the latest plug-ins of the Nik products, as they are major improvements over previous versions, at least to me.

While I'm concerned about the future of Nik plug-ins due to the sale of the company to Google, that's not going to stop me from using their current excellent products, which I prefer to their current competitors. That being said, I'm going to be testing a number of other products to find what I might be moving to in the future, with more urgency than my testing normally is, to find top products, in case of the demise of Nik plug-ins.

I think we need to be prepared for the future.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 06-Oct-12 12:42 AM
#37. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik - Not Now"
In response to Reply # 36

Tacoma, US

Another area of concern is that sometimes new operating systems make older software not longer usable.

But aside from that CNX and CEP work today as well s yesterday and tomorrow on my system. Since the other Nik plug-ins work as standalones, that's OK, too.

Mick
or

marty_sp Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2008Sun 28-Oct-12 09:53 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."

Westfield, US

While at the PDN Show in New York I had a pretty frank discussion with one of Nik's senior product managers about the impact of the buyout on their professional products. He made several points: 1) contrary to popular belief the major driving force for the buyout was their technology, not Snapseed per se; 2) Google was going to continue to support future development of the professional products. While it will take some time before we know for sure, I'm convinced the Nik people (I also spoke to several of the younger techies) believe they will get continued support from Google. Convinced enough that I bought 2 plugins.

Marty

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 12:54 AM
#39. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 38

Philadelphia, US

Marty, I also spoke to Nik at length. They said the same thing to me. Despite that, I have a different take.

I agree that the technology as a whole was what drove Google's decision to purchase Nik. I think they wanted the technology for both the Snapseed product and future mobile products, as well as, it's my belief, for upping the ante substantially via dramatic improvements in their online editing, gallery, cataloging product, Picasa.

This is where my take differs. Nik's professional products are small potatoes in the world Google operates. That's why I am not comforted by Nik's "well rehearsed" discussion points. I think the plug-in are safe for now, but I think the future is very, very murky at best.

That being said, I continue to believe what I said earlier in this thread,

"While I'm concerned about the future of Nik plug-ins due to the sale of the company to Google, that's not going to stop me from using their current excellent products, which I prefer to their current competitors. That being said, I'm going to be testing a number of other products to find what I might be moving to in the future, with more urgency than my testing normally is, to find top products, in case of the demise of Nik plug-ins."

By the Marty, it would be helpful if you would fill out your profile, to the extent you feel comfortable so everyone can get to know you in the Nikonians' community. Thanks.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 29-Oct-12 09:23 AM
8593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 39

Atlanta, US

The one thing to keep in mind is that Google dwarfs Adobe when it comes to revenues, capital and most financial metrics. If Google wants to be in the photo software business, they have the means to go well beyond plug-ins to full functioned editing programs. Snapseed is a significant app, but not a significant photo product. For Google to justify the purchase, they need to generate significant growth beyond the initial Snapseed product.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 12:02 PM
#42. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 40

Philadelphia, US

Agreed Eric. Yet at the same time, Google is all about "online" products, as well as mobile products, not more standard software such as the typical Adobe products like Creative Suite (includes Photoshop) and Lightroom.

I would be very much surprised, even shocked, and I think so would industry analysts, if Google decided to compete directly with Creative Suite and Lightroom. This is why I opined about the use of the Nik technology for a highly sophisticated online photo editing product, ie a full featured Picasa. They might even have different levels of Picasa in the future, with a subscription requirement to be able to use the higher level features. Google has used subscription models in the past, such as with dual levels of Google Earth, and they charge now for extra capacity for current products. For example, I pay Google to have a large capacity "Google Drive."

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

marty_sp Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2008Mon 29-Oct-12 12:40 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 42

Westfield, US

Ned, do you see that strategy as very different from Adobe's push to the cloud?

Marty

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 02:37 PM
#45. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 44

Philadelphia, US

Yes, I see a significant difference, at least at this time.

Adobe's Creative Cloud is an add on service completely unnecessary for the operation of Creative Suite, Photoshop and Lightroom, which are firmly rooted desktop programs. Picasa, on the other hand, while being a desktop program, is very much Internet integrated and oriented. While it does editing, it's main functionalities are online. Google is primarily an online company, and I don't see that changing. I think Picasa will maintain its integrated online roots as a core strategy.

But that being said, let's see how it plays out.

Regardless, I will continue to purchase Nik professional products under the Google logo, as long as they are better than their competitors' similar offerings, but I am looking elsewhere with some urgency now, to be prepared.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

marty_sp Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2008Mon 29-Oct-12 11:58 AM
#41. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 39

Westfield, US

Ned,

I have personal experience with buyouts and agree there is reason to be concerned about the future of the pro products, and as I said we'll only know for sure over time. Before the discussion I also thought the pro world is to small for Google to deal with, but came away thinking that the plug-ins might have a future as long as the technologies being developed for Google's major uses were synergistic and allowed for extension. So I think our takes on the situation are more in agreement than not.

I will fill in my profile - thanks for pointing out I hadn't done so.

Marty

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 12:05 PM
#43. "RE: To Buy or Not To Buy Nik ....."
In response to Reply # 41

Philadelphia, US

That's certainly a possibility. We'll see what happens.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #730 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.