Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #601
View in linear mode

Subject: "Noise removal" Previous topic | Next topic
bostondog1 Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2007Tue 24-Jan-12 04:21 PM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Noise removal"

Granger, US

Hello everyone
I'm considering getting Silver Efex and Color Pro 4 and a noise reduction program of some kind.
I currently use CNX2 for all post processing.
Any recomendations for a noise reduction program?
I've read a little on Noise Ninja and just wondering how that would work as compared to the Nik download (Define?) with CNX2 as a stand alone.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Rich

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Noise removal
Kidkett Silver Member
28th Jan 2012
Snappo Silver Member
09th Feb 2012
JECoutre Silver Member
01st Nov 2012
toko
09th Feb 2012
William Symonds
12th May 2012

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Sat 28-Jan-12 02:26 PM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Noise removal"
In response to Reply # 0

Campo, US

Hi Rich,
I have all of Nik products and Silver Efex is very good once you learn how to use it although I don’t use it as much as I should. I need to use it more often to get even better at it. I have Color Pro 3 for NX2 that you can edit inside of Capture NX2 and if you can find it somewhere buy it, as it works great. I don’t even use the Color Pro 4 and I have the Edit List that opens Color Pro 4 from inside Capture NX2 but exporting out then back into Capture NX2 is a lot of work when you can use Color Pro 3 inside Capture NX2. Working with Capture NX2 64 bit is a pleasure now and much faster and no freeze up any more. I use and you might want to try the OnOne Suite 6 instead of the Color Pro 4, that I am really getting into more and really like it. I use it with the Edit List and export it right out of Capture NX2 and it does a nice job on a lot my pictures that I really like. Download the trial and give it a try. But get the Color Pro 3 for NX2 first if you can find it anywhere as that is the best working inside of Capture NX2 where I do most of my editing.

I have never used Noise Ninja but I have Topaz Labs DeNoise and I like Nik’s Define much better and it just does a better job. Download the free trial and see how you like that before you buy it. I would download all the software trials before I bought them and try them out too make sure you like it. Some have a 30-60 day money back if you don’t like it that will give you more time after the trial stops. I would try both Noise Ninja and Define to see what you like best.

I really like the Nik products even the HDR and sharpening that has a pre and output software. And when you have time try OnOne Suite 6 sometime as you can almost open a Raw file that changes to a PSD file that you can do all the editing it inside Suite 6, but I always edit in Capture NX2 first. Oh, and get the Edit List if you don’t have it so you can open any of these programs from inside Capture NX2, even Photoshop if you have it. It is a great free little program. I hope this helps you and I am sure others will give you more information.

Good luck,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Thu 09-Feb-12 03:45 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Noise removal"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 09-Feb-12 03:46 PM by Snappo

Tulsa, US

I have been a fan of Nik's Define for some time. Like the results. I prefer Define over Noise Ninja.

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

JECoutre Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008Thu 01-Nov-12 11:59 PM
330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Noise removal"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 02-Nov-12 12:00 AM by JECoutre

Concord, US

I have used Noise Nija for roughly 8 yearas now. I also use Nik's Define and Topaz's DeNoise 5 using them for the last 2 to 3 years. Each applies noise reduction differently and deals with details differently. For minor Sky noise or very low noise when I know I will be bringing out local contrast (such as with Nik's Structure or Details Extractor, or in minor underexposed shadows and especially in skies) I normally start with Nik's Define at an automatic level in a Smart Object layer. If that works I proceed on. If noise is the result of low light level photography, then frequently I will also try DeNoise and Noise Ninja ... again each produce a different result. I compare results and pick the best for this particular image and then tweak if neccessary. I usually start that process within a Smart Object layer with all three solutions (deactivating the other two so only one at a time is active) and then delete the non-selected and tweaking the remaining before moving on to other processing. This is also important for when you actually intend to convert to B&W where local contrast (structure) is enhanced. If you decide upon the Smart Object approach irrespective of when you decide upon using a noise reduction filter, always end up moving it to the bottom of the stack otherwise you will be not getting the best result in the final image especially if you end up upresing it for large wall art such as 36x24 or greater. I hope this helps.
Jim

toko Registered since 04th May 2009Thu 09-Feb-12 04:47 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Noise removal"
In response to Reply # 0

Mölnlycke, SE

You should also consider Topaz Denoise 5. I am very satisfied with this noise removal plug-in program.

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 12-May-12 04:18 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Noise removal"
In response to Reply # 0

Bogor, ID

Nik do a superb package deal on the whole suite of their products (but only if used as plug-ins) and if you learn one, you kind of learn them all. I have the suite and I like Define a lot, though I am sure others are excellent too.

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #601 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.