nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #1102
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2" Previous topic | Next topic
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Tue 20-Aug-13 04:45 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK

Greetings from Suffolk UK,

I have just upgraded my computer to fit a new Asus mother board and to increase its RAM and Hard Disk space. This entailed re-installing Capture NX2, and I now have version 2.4.3 It has all gone very well, and CNX2 is now installed on the Program Files>Nikon>Nikon NX2 folder and working fine. So far so good.

However, there is a problem when I try to install Color Efex Pro. I have the disk with the 3.0 version. When I try to install it, it opens promisingly with a dialogue box which requires me to click on ‘Install’. But then it gives the message “Capture NX2 could not be found. Please install Capture NX2 first”.

I know about the NIK/Nikon problem, but did not imagine that it would affect the use of the purchased CEFPro 3.0 CD to do a basic operation like re-installing it. Perhaps it’s not a CEFPro problem at all, and I am at a loss what to do next.

The program is absolutely first class for my purposes, so I hope a solution is possible. Perhaps others have had the same problem? If so, is it solvable? Is there any alternative compatible with CNX2? All ideas and suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks for reading this.

James

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2
Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Aug 2013
drjh68 Silver Member
22nd Aug 2013
Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Aug 2013
drjh68 Silver Member
23rd Aug 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
23rd Aug 2013
24th Aug 2013
drjh68 Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
drjh68 Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
27th Aug 2013
drjh68 Silver Member
27th Aug 2013
27th Aug 2013
rbaskin Silver Member
02nd Sep 2013
rjrcb Silver Member
02nd Jan 2014
02nd Jan 2014
03rd Jan 2014
rjrcb Silver Member
03rd Jan 2014
rjrcb Silver Member
03rd Jan 2014
03rd Jan 2014
rbaskin Silver Member
04th Jan 2014
03rd Jan 2014
rjrcb Silver Member
07th Jan 2014
07th Jan 2014
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Aug 2014

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Thu 22-Aug-13 02:12 PM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Campo, US

Hi James,

You need to update to version 3.4, Contact Google and they will give you the link to download it.

Good Luck,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Thu 22-Aug-13 03:45 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK

Thank you Bill for your response. Yesterday I asked NIK for their advice. I got the following reply:

"Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 is compatible with Windows 2000 Professional through Windows 7. As long as you already own a Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 product key, you may click to download Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 for Windows.

When the download is finished you will need to activate it. All Color Efex Pro 3.0 serial numbers have nine digits, followed by 16 letters. Please make sure that the first 9 characters are numbers, and the remainder of the characters are entered as letters."

I did that, and it worked like a dream. Some watch points - you have to enter the authentication code which you got with the original purchase. It contains 25 letters/figures separated by a few dashes. You have to omit the dashes, or else it tells you that it is wrong.
Secondly, judging by my experience, it only works by downloading from the NIK website, as the NIK message says, not by using your CD, as I had found. Incidentally, it seems from the NIK email that you would not be able to use CEP 3.0 on Windows 8.

All's well that ends well.

James

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Fri 23-Aug-13 01:01 AM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Campo, US

Hi James,

I guess you’re still using a 32 bit OS software. The 3.4 version is for the 64 bit OS, so remember that if you ever get a 64 bit system. And it does work with Windows 8 if you upgrade some time, but you will have to get the 3.4 version. You being a Nik software owner, a free upgrade from Google to all there software were offered if you want it. Contact Google and see it is still available to you; there is some great software with it if you don’t own it now.

Enjoy,
Bill

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Fri 23-Aug-13 01:28 PM
#4. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK

Hallo Bill,

I have in fact got the 64 bit OS. I'm not sure which version of CEP Nik provided me with, but it works fine. Perhaps it is the 3.4 version?

James

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 23-Aug-13 02:24 PM
3562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, UK

I use a 64 bit system and the CEP freebe download worked just fine for me.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Sat 24-Aug-13 12:32 AM
#6. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Campo, US

OK James they did indead give you the latest version then. Did they offer you the compleat Nik package of software since you are an owner of Nik's software? It is a great deal if you don't have it. They offered the compleat package free to all past owners of Nik's software. You can read more about it here:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=326&topic_id=928&mesg_id=928&page=

Enjoy,
Bill

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Mon 26-Aug-13 10:48 AM
#7. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK

Hallo Bill,

Thanks for reply. I tried that, but got the following response from NIK:

"Thank you for contacting Nik by Google.

Unfortunately the upgrade offer is not valid for Nikon Capture NX2. The new Nik Collection is not compatible with Nikon NX2Capture and it's not possible to upgrade.

The Nik Collection is only compatible with the following host applications:

- Apple® Aperture® 3.1 or later
- Adobe Photoshop CS4 through CS6
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 through 11
(apart from HDR Efex Pro 2, which is not compatible with Photoshop Elements)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 through 5
- Adobe Photoshop Creative Cloud."

It's sad that only CNX2 is not on their list.

Best wishes,

James

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Mon 26-Aug-13 02:07 PM
#8. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Campo, US

James don’t you own Nik’s Color Efex 3.0 Pro for NX2? Google was giving all owners of their Nik products a complete upgrade to all their Nik Suites. If you own it I would ask them again and give them your key code if they need it. Make sure you tell them what you own. You can use all their products right from Capture NX2 with the use of the Edit List by David Duncan that you can download here on the Nikonians.

You don’t have to have PS or Lightroom to use them. In fact you can even open them with the “Open With” in Windows. And you can also open one Nik Suite at a time right out of Capture NX2.

If you own any Nik’s products I would ask again and tell them you have Lightroom. If you need help setting it up let me know.

Good Luck,
Bill

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Mon 26-Aug-13 03:12 PM
#9. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 8

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK

Bill,

Many thanks. I certainly will pursue. I had better look at the David Duncan Edit List first so that I know what I am talking about. Can you point me in the right direction?

Best wishes,

James

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Tue 27-Aug-13 01:12 AM
#10. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 9

Campo, US

OK James here is two old posts to look at, this one is to download the Edit List:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/191195.zip

And here are some pictures of how it works in Capture NX2.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=302&topic_id=6881&prev_page=show_topic&gid=6881#6893

Here is a link where a man just bought the whole Nik package from Google:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=326&topic_id=1006&mesg_id=1006&page=

Let me know if you need anything else as I have been using the Edit List for years. Although I did have a problem installing it in Windows 8 but I have worked that out now. Oh, and you can use it with any other Software you have, it doesn’t have to be just Nik software.

Good luck,
Bill

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Tue 27-Aug-13 12:47 PM
#11. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 27-Aug-13 12:48 PM by drjh68

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK

Hallo Bill,
Thanks very much for the three links. Could you help me to de-confuse myself before I do too much harm. My probably weird questions are based on minimal knowledge.

The first link to 19115Zip I have downloaded, but not opened as I am not sure what it will do that I might not be able to undo.

The second link to the photographs shows a list of editing programs which can be used to open the NIK software. But it only shows CEF Pro 4. Would I not need it to show CEF Pro 3, as I do not have CEF Pro 4?

The third link reports success in getting a licence for CEF 3, but only by purchasing the Complete Collection.

So I am not quite clear how best to use this information in trying to get NIK to tell me how to get the Collection free, and to make it work with CEF 3.

I would be very grateful if you can please shine a bit more light into my darkness.

Many thanks for your patience.
James

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Tue 27-Aug-13 03:07 PM
#12. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 11

Campo, US

James first do you have Windows 7 or Windows 8? If you have Windows 7 you can unzip it in install in ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\EditList\EditList2(64).exe’. There is a PDF with the instruction to install inside the Edit List file you downloaded, so open it first and follow the directions after you unzip it.

For Windows 8 I found that it is easier to go into Program files(x86) and make a new folder named “EditList” no spaces. Unzip the x86 version where you can find it and drag it to the EditList and drop it in the folder you just made. Open it up and add all the software you have inside the edit list and you’re ready to go.

As to CEF Pro 3 for Capture NX2, no it installs inside Capture NX2 and all edits are all are part of NX2, that is what I think you have. If you only have CEF 3 for Lightroom or PS and Aperture, then yes you would have to add it to the Edit List.

You will have CEF Pro 4 if they give you the upgrade. Just ask really nice and tell them you have Lightroom now. Even at $149.00 it still is a great deal but I think you can get the free upgrade being an owner.

The link that he bought the Complete Collection was just to show you can still get it. Tell them you have Lightroom also to use the plugins in, as they offered the upgrade to all Nik owners and see what they say.

Let me know how you make out ether way.
Bill

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Mon 02-Sep-13 02:18 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Ridgefield, US

I'm happily using CEP for CNX2 with Windows 8.

Initially, when CNX2 was updated, CEP 3.003 was what you needed for 32bit systems and 3.004 was the 64bit version. I now have both downloads sitting on my hard drive as I downloaded both in anticipation of a move from my 32bit XP machine to a new 64bit Win8 laptop

I'm not sure if 3.004 will work with both, but it seems to be the only version now available.

Double clicking the EXE file and entering the license code from my original purchase put me right to work.

As a registered owner of CEP 3 for CNX2 I too got the offer for a free copy of the complete NIK package. I was about to pull the trigger on Silver Efex when the offer came in - quite a cost savings for me!

I've been a long time user of Edit List to open my CNX2 files in various other programs from the Open With file command and found it easy to add the individual offerings from the NIK suite.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further help with this.

Ralph in CT

rjrcb Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2006Thu 02-Jan-14 04:46 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 13

Hitchin, UK

Having recently carried out some software upgrades to my Mac (to resolve an issue with NEF's and my daughter's D3100!) I found that I had to reinstall NX2 from scratch as it just 'disappeared'. That worked fine, after I found the product key, but now it seems Colour Efex Pro 3 has gone AWOL as well.

Now, I've read many posts on the subject and see that Google's acquisition of Nik came with an offer last year to upgrade existing paid users for free. However, I did not receive the email (probably gone to an email address I no longer have) and am at a loss as to what to do next. I see that the Nik site has a free trial option, but I'm loath to try that and then find I'm stuck with having to pay $149 dollars for something I already have.

Has anyone been in this situation, as without the email I seem to be stuck?

Many thanks.

Roy (Hertfordshire, England)

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Thu 02-Jan-14 07:36 PM
#15. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 14

Campo, US

Hi Roy,

To start with call or Email Google and ask for the upgrade, as you are an owner of the Nik software. They have been great on this matter and would hope they will upgrade your too. Your old software will work just like it always did and you won't have to upgrade it the don't.

Good Luck,
Bill

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 03-Jan-14 12:25 PM
3562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 15

Dyserth, UK

A bit off topic, but this may be of interest:

I have just contacted Google about Clor Efex Pro 4 and Capture NX2 and this was their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Nik by Google.

Unfortunately we do not have a Color Efex Pro 4 plug-in for Nikon Capture NX2. The only version available to Nikon Capture NX2 is the Color Efex Pro 3".

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

rjrcb Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2006Fri 03-Jan-14 12:49 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 16

Hitchin, UK

Thanks for the advice, I've emailed Google/Nik and await their response.

rjrcb Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2006Fri 03-Jan-14 05:14 PM
#18. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 17

Hitchin, UK

Well the nice man at Google/Nik has replied, as follows:

"Unfortunately, the Color Efex Pro 3.0 Complete for Capture NX 2 owner are not qualified for the free upgrade".

Seems to be at odds with what others have said elsewhere, so I'll have to try and convince him otherwise!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 03-Jan-14 05:46 PM
#19. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 18

Dyserth, UK

I had bought a standalone copy of Silver Efex pro2 and the Nik Color Efex 3 for CNX2 plugin and that's all I needed to qualify. I was told that one needed two Nik softwares to qualify.

Richard

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sat 04-Jan-14 01:39 AM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 19

Ridgefield, US

I only owned Color Efex Pro 3.0 and received the email for the entire package. Maybe they've changed the rules since the initial offer.

Ralph in CT

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Fri 03-Jan-14 10:11 PM
#20. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 18

Campo, US

Hi Roy,

If you are trying to install CEP 3.0 for Capture NX2 make sure you have the latest version 3.004. Sorry I should have said that in the last post. It came in when the 64 bit version of Capture NX2 came out. Ask Google where you can download it.

Good Luck,
Bill

rjrcb Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2006Tue 07-Jan-14 10:09 AM
#22. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 20

Hitchin, UK

Hmmm, I think the nice man at Google/Nik is getting bored with me:

"You are not qualified for the upgrade because you purchased Color Efex Pro 3 for Capture NX2 and not one of the versions that worked in Photoshop, Aperture and Lightroom".

However, he has given me the link to download Pro 3 so at least I should be able to get back to where I was!

Thanks for your help.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 07-Jan-14 12:35 PM
#23. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 22

Dyserth, UK

This is the situation we are all in unless one owns the full disc version i.e. not the dedicated Capture NX2 only version. It would appear that there is not an edition number any more, the full version is know just as "Color Efex Pro". This is not now available as an independent Capture NX2 plugin as Color Efex versions 3 and 4 were.

I rarely use Capture NX2 now, preferring the Nik suite in Photoshop CS and PS Elements. I only use it where U-Point technology is needed and that is a truly excellent tool as it is in all the Nik suite products.

Richard

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 12-Aug-14 09:45 PM
13297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#24. "RE: Can't install Color Efex Pro 3.0 on CNX2"
In response to Reply # 22

San Jose, US

Perhaps you are mixing some things up. First of all to get the free suite when they first offered it all you needed was CEP 3.0 for CNX2, no other SW was required. That is all I had and I was able to download the full suite for free! Second CEP 3.0004 is what you need to run CEP on CNX2 in 64 bit Windows and it flies! Last CEP 4.0 is NOT compatible with CNX2 i.e. you can not run it from within CNX2 like you can 3.0. That is what they are telling you when you ask about the upgrade. If they tell you that you are not entitled to the full free suite ask for a supervisor, give them your CEP 3.0 for CNX2 Key code and they should give you the link. Once you install all the SW everything other than CEP. 3.0 for CNX2 will be updated on a periodic basis by Google. You don't have to take any actions.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #1102 Previous topic | Next topic