Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #1077
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best BW plugin ? Nik v Topaz" Previous topic | Next topic
bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Mon 15-Jul-13 09:47 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best BW plugin ? Nik v Topaz"

Axminster, GB

Having been a Topaz user for some time , and loving their BW Effects 2,I just added the Nik suite free download ( I had Cfx3 in NX2)
The Topaz software mirrors many of the features in Silver Efex, but adds to it with really useful tools such as Adaptive Exposure.
Well worth a look, and still being developed, unlike the Google/Nik stuff, I think. Selling off cheap doesn't suggest a continuing commitment .
Topaz DeNoise also compares well, & I find the other Topaz software very useful.
I do like the Nik HDR, and may use it more than Photomatix-controls sem more intuitive.
Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Tue 30-Jul-13 06:22 PM
1475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best BW plugin ? Nik v Topaz"
In response to Reply # 0

Rural Virginia, US

I use Topaz Clarity, Adjust, and Detail. I think they are excellent products. I compared a trial of Topaz BW Effects to my copy of Nik Silver Efex Pro 2. I found the capabilities were pretty similar. I do like the Topaz Adaptive Exposure (it is in Adjust as well) but found I could get similar results using the Silver Efex Dynamic Brightness, Soft Contrast, and Structure tools. I prefer the Nik Control Points to the Topaz local adjustment brushes. But I like the Topaz color adjustment tools better. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 30-Jul-13 07:36 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best BW plugin ? Nik v Topaz"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 30-Jul-13 07:41 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

I have not used Topaz, but I have had very good results with SilverEfex. There are lots of options to get just the look that you want.

You also might take a look at OnOne Perfect B&W. This is relatively new, but is at least as good as SilverEfex. I've just started playing around with it, and it has some nice presets.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others (Public) topic #1077 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.