nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #89
View in linear mode

Subject: "Limited time only: Save 30% on your digital asset manag..." Previous topic | Next topic
Hendric Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2008Fri 26-Aug-11 04:13 PM
1053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Limited time only: Save 30% on your digital asset management"
Mon 29-Aug-11 07:59 AM by Hendric

Schwarzwald, DE

Today Phase One introduced a new special campaign to me starting on August 29th.

"Media Pro from Phase One is a professional photo manager that will supercharge the way you find, organize, and share your images and videos. Media Pro supports files from more than 100 different cameras, including Nikon RAW files. Use the voucher code MPNIK before September 12th and get a 30 % on Media Pro 1."

This is the link to take advantage on the 30%off on Media Pro.

add me to your circles

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bstevent Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2004Sat 27-Aug-11 08:37 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Limited time only: Save 30% on your digital asset management"
In response to Reply # 0

Prince George, CA

I've used iView/Expression Media since 2001. Media Pro is the latest version of this very capable program.

However, you should be aware of a severe limitation if your workflow includes Nikon CaptureNX2. The program can no longer be said to be friendly to a "NEF-centric" workflow -- at least for Mac users.

iView and Expression Media allowed the user to render raw images with the "manufacturer's engine" (i.e., Nikon's engine). This meant that edits made in CaptureNX2 were properly displayed by Expression Media. That function was lost with Mac OSX 10.6 -- I discovered it when I moved from 10.5 to 10.6. The suggested work-around was to render the images with Apple's engine.

Quoting the "known issues" post in Phase One's forum:
"Nikon NEF RAW images do not render when the RAW importer is set to manufacturer in Expression Media 2. The images appear as generic icons in Thumbnail view and display a render error in Media view. To workaround this issue, set the “Preferred Engine” to Apple (Expression Media 2 > Preferences > Media Rendering > RAW tab)."

The problem is that images do not display as they would if opened in CaptureNX2 and edits are not displayed.

I had hopes that this issue would be addressed with the release of Media Pro. However, Phase One has made clear, in comments quoted in the Media Pro Forum, that they will NOT restore this functionality. Instead, Phase One advises users to abandon CaptureNX2 and use Capture One.

That may be a solution for some users. However, you should be aware of this issue before jumping in. Personally, I've started to use Photo Mechanic as a browser since it does display NEFs properly and I'm waiting to see if the cataloging capability promised byCamera Bits will suit my needs.

Bob

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Mon 12-Sep-11 08:32 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Limited time only: Save 30% on your digital asset management"
In response to Reply # 1

Ridgefield, US

Thanks for the heads-up Bob.

I've been a MS Expressions Media 2 user and was about to do the 30% off upgrade deal. I downloaded the Media Pro software and ran it as a trial on my Windows XP machine - left a great deal to be desired. Wouldn't even auto-rotate my portrait oriented shots, let alone process the crops made in Capturen NX2.

Expressions Media 2 always displayed exactly as done in NX2, so I guess I'll stick with that until the Photo Mechanic folks demo their cataloging software at Photo Expo in NYC next month.

Ralph in CT

gaperklake Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Wed 31-Aug-11 08:22 PM
334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Limited time only: Save 30% on your digital asset management"
In response to Reply # 0

Reno, US

Hello Hendric,

Thank you for this.

Have Media Pro downloaded and looking forward to using it.

Guy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #89 Previous topic | Next topic