Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #83
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using C1 and Lightroom 3" Previous topic | Next topic
mds88 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2010Mon 04-Jul-11 12:44 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using C1 and Lightroom 3"

Ottawa, CA

I was recently introduced to C1 V6 and was very impressed with many of its features, but disappointed with its lack of DAM capability as compared to LR3. I see advantages of using both, but would be interested in hearing various opinions on workflow.

Where are the RAW files best kept?
What type of files should be used between the two programs?
Which program is best to initially import my files from my D7000?
Can/should you edit a file with both programs?
What type of file format is best to move back and forth with?

Thanks

Marc Shaw

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Mon 04-Jul-11 01:57 PM
1427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using C1 and Lightroom 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Rural Virginia, US

I use both, but do not regularly move images between them. Phase One has purchased Expressions Media (a DAM application) and is working to integrate it with Capture One. The first effort has been released as Media Pro, but I found it not yet ready for prime time. A major new release is due any day that should address many of the issues users are currently experiencing.

So I use Lightroom as my DAM application. All my images are initially imported into Lightroom and keyworded. My Leica images I will typically then process in Capture One and my Nikon ones in Lightroom. If I have a Nikon shot where I can't get the skin tones I want, I will process it in Capture One.

I can go back and forth between the two (and to Photoshop) using tif files, but rarely see a reason to do so.

Each program has features the other lacks, but I find those differences diminishing. Lightroom has better selective editing features, but Capture One has just added this capability and I expect it will soon come close to Lightroom. Capture One has a moiré correction tool (important for Leica and MF digital back images) and Lightroom does not.

One of the big advantages of Capture One IMO is that it uses ICM files for camera profiles. The ones that ship with it are very good and you can use profiles produced by professional profile makers if you wish. Depending on the version of Capture One you can edit the profiles to produce just the colors you want. I find this approach to produce better color than the Adobe profiles in Lightroom and ACR, but the gap is now very small.

To sum up. I catalogue using Lightroom and then process using the one that best works with the images I am working with. Generally that is Lightroom for Nikon images (using my profiles) and Capture One for Leica (using their profiles).

adangus Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Tue 13-Sep-11 02:35 PM
576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using C1 and Lightroom 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Franktown, US

I had been using Expression Media and gave up on it during its lifetime under Microsoft. 'Nuff said. I had tried Aperture for a while and finally gravitated to Lightroom3 as so many have. I had become quite happy with LR3, especially when I augmented its raw processing with the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport camera calibration system. It was never as good as NX2 as far as lens correction was concerned, but better on many other counts.

Then, Phase One brought out Media Pro and I took the upgrade and tried it out. Off the bat, I thought it was far better than the previous Expression Media version; though as one commenter mentioned, it no longer allowed for rendering with NX2 in quite the same way.

In any case, it was fairly obvious that Phase One was pushing integration between Capture One and Media Pro; and I hadn't tried C1 before. So, I got the trial version and ran some tests against several of the images that I'd been extremely happy with using LR3 and the X-Rite camera calibration method. I was very happy to discover that C1's conversions looked better than those from LR3 c/w X-Rite.

I finally bought C1 Pro, spent a good deal of time evaluating it against my previous work with NX2 and LR3, and decided it was well worth the money.

But this is about Media Pro instead... and to begin with, I was more than a little disappointed with the apparent lack of integration between C1 and MediaPro. Then, Phase One sent me an email with links to various video tutorials about how to pull the trick off and it all began to make sense to me.

Having said that, I will admit that Media Pro is getting to be as integrated with C1 as Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom are, not quite there, but pretty close. In the case of ACR and LR, you hardly know that ACR is there explicitly. That is certainly not the case with C1, it is quite "in your face". However, know that I "get it", I'd offer that the natural DAM to use with C1 is Media Pro; and that together, you have an extremely powerful combination of tools.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #83 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.