Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #144
View in linear mode

Subject: "Phase One Pro 7" Previous topic | Next topic
Collison Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2013Mon 28-Jan-13 02:32 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Phase One Pro 7"

Tenterden Kent, GB

Hi
I have read with interest topics on Phase One. I have downloaded a 60 day trial to my MacBook Pro and spent a few days playing with it. I normally use Photoshop, currently on CS6 and find Phase One different. However on a couple of occasions it has frozen and also I have had to force quit. My main reason for the attraction to Phase One was the advertising spiel about RAW and tethered shooting. Before I spend too much time trying to get to grips with Phase One I would appreciate any views or advice on the question , is Phase One any better than Photoshop ?. my camera is D800 and I use Nikon Camera Control Pro for tethered shooting with USB cable which I find very good, however wireless is rubbish, for wireless I use CamRanger very effectively with an iPad. Any help and guidance appreciated
Regards

Ron

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Phase One Pro 7
phlpyro Gold Member
29th Jan 2013
Collison Gold Member
29th Jan 2013
adangus Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
Collison Gold Member
29th Jan 2013
walkerr Administrator
29th Jan 2013
Collison Gold Member
29th Jan 2013
walkerr Administrator
29th Jan 2013
Collison Gold Member
31st Jan 2013
walkerr Administrator
31st Jan 2013
Collison Gold Member
01st Feb 2013

phlpyro Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2007Tue 29-Jan-13 09:06 AM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 0

Harrow, GB

Hi Ron
I have been using Capture One for a number of years and have found it to be very good. I like it because it has just what I need to process my images laid out in a very clear way. I have over the years developed my own desk top layout with all the tools I use most grouped together. Photoshop for me has to much that I will never use on a regular basis. I do have Photoshop CS4 for those occasions when I need to do extra work. My overall view is that Phase one was designed for photographers where as Photoshop was initially built for designers with photographic processing bolted on.

Paul H Lunnon (uk)

Collison Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2013Tue 29-Jan-13 02:01 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 1

Tenterden Kent, GB

Hi Paul

Thanks for the response, will persevere with Phase One for the remainder of the 60 days and hope I don't get more crashes.

Regards

Ron

adangus Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 01:08 PM
578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 0

Franktown, US

I've been using Phase One's Capture One for some time now, and I've concluded that it's the best RAW converter for Nikon users that's available. This is relative to Nikon's own Capture NX2, Adobe's flavors in Lightroom 4 and PS CS6, Apple's Aperture, DxO, etc. I was especially impressed by CO's ability to deal with moiré in the D800; and this is perhaps because CO is designed around medium format cameras that typically don't have anti-aliassing filters.

There are too many good features in CO to go over in this short space, but they include ease of handling lens problems like distortion, chromatic aberration, light fall off, without calibration for a particular lens/body combination; dynamic range manipulation; creation of an LCC profile to improve dynamic range; selective color manipulation; keystone correction; layers for selective editing; white balance through skin tone; and on and on.

Having said that, CO7 is a relatively new release and Phase One has a business practice of releasing s/w before it's ready for prime time, IMHO. CO7 adds a cataloging feature, probably to make it more competitive with LR; and this has turned out to be problematic. Phase One acquired Media Pro from Microsoft a few years ago, improved it, and now seem to be building that functionality right into CO7. Too bad it doesn't work quite as well as advertised.

If you don't try to build your life around CO7's cataloging function, then it is very much improved over CO6; and that was a fine product. CO's professional workflow model is designed around "sessions" and that takes a little getting used to, but it is extremely natural, I think. Phase One has put a large number of training videos up on YouTube and on their own site; and these guide you through the initial process of getting up and running pretty well. They also have an "Image Professor" blog that often has relevant tips and tricks: google for the one on using the built-in LCC profile generator for improving image dynamic range, for example.

I think that CO7 is currently at v7.0.2. My guess is that Phase One will have most of the bugs ironed out by v7.0.3 or 4. CO6 is much more stable, and once you buy the product I think you have access to earlier versions in Phase One's archive. I don't think that CO6 runs on Apple's Lion OS; but that may or may not be important to you and I could be wrong. That's another bit of functionality that Phase One had to roll into CO7, not to mention Win8. All in all, it doesn't surprise me that they have some bugs in such a major release, although I'm not forgiving them. Professionals depend on these guys to release s/w that's ready for prime time and CO v7.0.0 was not.

Hope that helps...

Collison Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2013Tue 29-Jan-13 02:14 PM
#5. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 2

Tenterden Kent, GB

Hi adangus

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply and I note your caution with bugs. Cataloging problems will not be an issue for me. I now intend to carry on trying up to the 60 day deadline and make a judgment then. Incidentally I am on Mac OS 10.6.8'

Best wishes

Ron

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 29-Jan-13 01:30 PM
14455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Capture One works very well in a studio or portraiture environment and clearly has some benefits if you do a lot of that kind of shooting. In terms of overall results, I don't find it dramatically different than LR4/ACR7 if you know the tools well. Unfortunately, the "freezing up" problem seems to be common, and it's the only application I have that can bring my Macs to a complete and total stop. It's unfortunate, but I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Collison Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2013Tue 29-Jan-13 02:20 PM
#6. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 3

Tenterden Kent, GB

Hi Rick

Thanks for the reply, interesting that you have experienced freezing, I suspect that this may be a Mac platform issue, I am currently on Mac OS 10.6.8, Have decided to soldier on to the 60 day limit, maybe then I will be a lot wiser

Regards

Ron

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 29-Jan-13 04:33 PM
14455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 6

Colorado Springs, US

I'm on Mountain Lion (10.8.2) for all three of my Macs, and they're all unhappy with C1 7.2. That OS has been very solid for me, with C1 7 being the exception.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Collison Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2013Thu 31-Jan-13 01:18 PM
#8. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 7

Tenterden Kent, GB

HI Rick

Thanks for the info on Mountain Lion, at present I am on Snow Leopard but was thinking about upgrading, however taking in to account your experience I will wait until Phase One is more stable with Mac OS.

Regards
Ron

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 01:30 PM
#9. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 31-Jan-13 01:36 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

I don't think it matters if you upgrade or not - the problem appears to be in C1. The problems I'm seeing in Mountain Lion are the ones you see in Snow Leopard and others see in Lion. When Phase One fixes it, it will likely work in each of those operating systems.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Collison Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2013Fri 01-Feb-13 09:18 AM
#10. "RE: Phase One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 9

Tenterden Kent, GB

Hi Rick
Thanks for the extra bit of information, I now get the full picture and will wait for Phase One to fix things.
Regards

Ron

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #144 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.