Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #123
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture One Pro 7" Previous topic | Next topic
Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Thu 25-Oct-12 02:43 PM
614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture One Pro 7"
Thu 25-Oct-12 02:45 PM by Gromit44

GB

A new version 7 has been released - http://www.phaseone.com/Imaging-Software/Capture-One-7.aspx?utm_source=Apsis&utm_medium=Software_eblast&utm_content=About_CO&utm_campaign=w43_COP7_launch.

It's suposed to have '100 new features' but I'm not entirely sure what they are, or if it's worth the upgrade.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture One Pro 7
Petersko
25th Oct 2012
Gromit44
26th Oct 2012
Luke_Miller Silver Member
26th Oct 2012
Gromit44
30th Oct 2012
Luke_Miller Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
adangus Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
Gromit44
30th Oct 2012
walkerr Administrator
30th Oct 2012
nutcracker Gold Member
30th Oct 2012
Gromit44
31st Oct 2012
Gromit44
31st Oct 2012
walkerr Administrator
31st Oct 2012
Gromit44
01st Nov 2012

Petersko Registered since 07th Aug 2009Thu 25-Oct-12 09:49 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I purchased the upgrade as soon as I saw it. I have a D600, and it's listed as supported in V7.

Once I download it and try it out I'll post my impressions.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Fri 26-Oct-12 12:13 PM
614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 26-Oct-12 12:14 PM by Gromit44

GB

I'd be interested to hear your impressions Keith. The processing engine in v7 is supposed to be better but I don't know what that means in actual use - so I'm still not sure it's worth the upgrade fee (I'm not bothered about improvements in the catalog system).

I bought v6 on September 18th so I'm somewhat peeved that the cutoff date for a free update was September 26th!!

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Fri 26-Oct-12 01:18 PM
1471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 26-Oct-12 01:19 PM by Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US

The improvement in Capture One 7's develop features make it a reasonable alternative to Lightroom 4 for my use. It now has much improved noise reduction plus the gradient tool that I use a lot in Lightroom. I really like that it now gives the option of using catalogs rather than sessions (which I never warmed up to). I prefer Capture One's skin tones and overall color rendering to that of Lightroom for my Leica DNGs.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Tue 30-Oct-12 03:12 PM
#6. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 30-Oct-12 03:13 PM by Gromit44

GB

Thanks Luke. I don't use LR4 so I'm not too familiar with its features. How would you compare C1v7 with NX2 (or CS6 even) for noise reduction? Does it have better noise reduction than C1v6?

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 03:30 PM
1471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 6

Rural Virginia, US

>Thanks Luke. I don't use LR4 so I'm not too familiar with its
>features. How would you compare C1v7 with NX2 (or CS6 even)
>for noise reduction? Does it have better noise reduction than
>C1v6?

Noise reduction in CO7 is dramatically better than CO6. I would put it at least on par with Lightroom 4, which is very good. I don't use NX2 so I can't say how CO7 compares with it.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

adangus Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Tue 30-Oct-12 02:52 PM
578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 0

Franktown, US

I had been incredibly pleased with the combination of Media Pro & Capture One Pro v6. I'd been using Media Pro since before Microsmash bought it and made chaos of it; and Phase One's purchase of the product got me using it before. So cataloging was the main draw for me. When it turned out that Phase One had limited the original model for raw conversion to use the Capture One converter, instead of being completely annoyed with them, I tried out Capture One and found that I loved it.

Anyway, it wasn't too surprising to me to find that for Capture One v7 that Phase One had integrated cataloging right into the product. I don't know if that means they don't plan on a Media Pro v2 or what; but that's a different story, I guess.

So, I'm using v7 as a trial version so far. I've had it for several days now and here are my very preliminary impressions of it's cataloging.

I have tried to import my Media Pro catalog of NEFs several times now. Every attempt has failed. From a catalog of about 41,000 NEFs (D80 & D700 raw files), it has variously completely jammed up at somewhere between 2000 and 4000 files. In every case, it has just about thrashed my iMac to death. I finally gave up trying to do this through the day and set it to work overnight. In that case, it "finished" the import; but again, it claimed that only about 4,000 of the images were not corrupted. It was also still thrashing my computer, and it had to be force quit. When I reopened the catalog, it had failed to import even the 4,000 images it claimed it had. That may have been a side-effect of the force kill, or not; hard to say.

I have also tried to import my NEFs straight out of my previous v6 session directories into a new catalog. C1v7 doesn't even see these files, even when I point it right down to the folder with the NEFs and sidecar files. My workflow involves importing the NEFs first to one external drive (where I let Lightroom play) and then importing these again to another external drive through C1v6's session process. This way have two complete sets of all my images; and C1v6 can treat the second copies as sessions on a shoot-by-shoot basis. Once I have the session structure, I'll import those as new images into my (big) Media Pro catalog.

Anyway, as I say, C1v7 doesn't even see the C1v6 NEFs. If I go to the first set of NEFs (many of which have LR sidecar files) then C1v7 does see them and will import them into a new catalog.

Although I am just grabbing at straws here, my assumption is that the C1v7 has some issue with the thumbnail files in my original Media Pro catalog and cannot work its way through the indirection to find all of the original NEFs. As a result, it thrashes on interpreting the thumbnails instead of the real NEFs. Who knows though? That's my guess.

Why it cannot even see the NEFs in the directory structure of its predecessor C1v6 is quite beyond me. I can open up those folders for import at any level, with or without the previous session file (.col50 extension), and they never become visible in C1v7. Even if I hit the import button anyway, just pointing at the folder, nothing happens.

On the other hand, point C1v7's catalog import at NEFs that C1v6 hasn't processed, and it imports them just fine.

All this yields a fairly pointless result; namely, all the work I've done in Media Pro with keywording, ranking, sorting, and et cetera, cannot be imported into a C1v7 catalog. I could start all over from scratch by going through my years's worth of work and doing it all again in C1v7; but guess how likely that is... For the time being, I think I'll stick with my existing workflow using sessions in C1v7 and cross linking to Media Pro.

C1v7 will open my previous C1v6 sessions; in doing so, it makes a new upgraded version so that the old work is still there. As far as I've gone so far, C1v7's image processing is a clear improvement over C1v6. I am especially impressed with its "Auto" processing. The C1v6 "Auto" process always seemed to yield some blown out part of the image and this doesn't happen with C1v7.

Back to the large catalog import, it was the same story with the first Phase One version of Media Pro as well. It wouldn't import my large Expression Media catalog either. It took the second point release of Media Pro before that worked. So, I suppose I wait for C1v7.1 and try that again.

I'll try to report more about C1v7's image processing with a few examples later. For now, I have to put it to work to see what's under the hood.

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Tue 30-Oct-12 03:08 PM
#5. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Thanks for your impressions Allan.

My main editor is NX2 - I only use C1v6 for a limited amount of editing (usually keystone correction) so I'm not too worried about any shortcomings it might have re cataloging. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on v7 (compared to v6) from a purely editing point of view - i.e. is v7 any better than v6?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 30-Oct-12 03:26 PM
14428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I think it's a solid upgrade from V6, and I would definitely recommend current Capture One users make the upgrade. Noise reduction is definitely improved, and it's good to see things like lens profiles for Nikons and Canons making their way into the product. People who liked Capture One in the past will like it even more now. I remain happy overall with LR4, and it's still my first choice, but if it didn't exist, I'd probably use C1.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

nutcracker Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2005Tue 30-Oct-12 03:36 PM
151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 7

Dublin, IE

Capture One 7 is a brilliant program, not just on Phase One files but on Nikon RAW from D3x, D4, V1. Have not tried it on D700, D300 yet.
It is amazing to see the extra detail in older files previously processed through C1 6, and Nikon's own CNX2.
C1 7 is very very quick, and stable, intuitive.

I have used it a lot in the brief period since release. Highly recommended.

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 02:48 PM
#11. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 31-Oct-12 02:50 PM by Gromit44

GB

>It is amazing to see the extra detail in older files previously processed through ..... CNX2.

Ah, retaining more detail than NX2 would definitely make it worth the upgrade. Do you have any online samples that illustrate the differece Sean?

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 02:41 PM
#10. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 31-Oct-12 02:49 PM by Gromit44

GB

>I think it's a solid upgrade from V6, and I would definitely recommend current Capture One users make the upgrade. Noise reduction is definitely improved......

Have you compared the v7 results to NX2 Rick?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 31-Oct-12 04:17 PM
14428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 10

Colorado Springs, US

Only casually. Keep in mind that most products out there will produce really good results if you use them correctly. The biggest mistake people make in evaluating products is to just look at the results based on default values. If you do that, LR/ACR will look at a little soft and NX2 will lack some detail, but both programs can produce superb results if you use their sharpening routines in the right manner and create alternate starting points or defaults. If NX2 hadn't had a recent upgrade to its new 2012 NR engine, it definitely would have lagged both C1 and LR4 on this front. With the improved NR, they're probably all fine with higher ISO images.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Thu 01-Nov-12 02:33 PM
#13. "RE: Capture One Pro 7"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu 01-Nov-12 02:33 PM by Gromit44

GB

I tend to do the main edit in NX2, export as a TIFF to CS6, then use either DeNoise or Dfine to reduce NR. Perhaps this isn't the best workflow from an NR point of view?

I keep forgetting NX2 has the new 'Better Quality 2012' NR option - I'll have to try it, although it can't be applied selectively.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #123 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.