Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #1
View in linear mode

Subject: "Any Other Capture One users?" Previous topic | Next topic
Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Sat 06-Mar-10 01:47 PM
1498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Any Other Capture One users?"

Rural Virginia, US

Sorry, I can't resist making the first post in the new Capture One sub-forum.

I have used Capture One LE since version 3. It was my go to raw processor when I wanted the best skin tones. I believe Capture One puts a lot of effort into the camera profiles and IMO for a long time produced more accurate color than the Adobe products. I also preferred it for skin tones over the Nikon Capture products.

The Adobe profiles now in Lightroom and ACR have pretty much closed the gap with Capture One. I still use it and upgraded to version 5 recently. Even though many of Capture One's operations are counter intuitive to me, the basic imaging tools are not. I really like having photoshop-like levels and curves tools, which I prefer to their counterparts in Lightroom and ACR.

Lightroom continues to be my primary cataloging and processing program, but I find Capture One to be an excellent tool for some images.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Any Other Capture One users?
reuben Moderator
06th Mar 2010
Zchaia
07th Mar 2010
Luke_Miller Silver Member
08th Mar 2010
reuben Moderator
09th Mar 2010
timlee406
29th Apr 2010
John Robinson
19th Jun 2011
whallier Silver Member
27th Jul 2011
27th Jul 2011
nyschulte
08th Mar 2010
Zchaia
08th Mar 2010
08th Mar 2010
Zchaia
09th Mar 2010
09th Mar 2010
Zchaia
09th Mar 2010
guyparker
11th Mar 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
12th Mar 2010
Zchaia
13th Mar 2010
niksi Silver Member
30th Mar 2010
Zchaia
03rd Apr 2010
Phil Bourne
21st May 2010
ChristopherP Gold Member
18th Jun 2010
GPS02062 Gold Member
23rd Jun 2010
david_mathre Platinum Member
23rd Oct 2010
chuckcars
24th Oct 2010
nikonus Gold Member
29th Mar 2011
BillCoughlin
25th Jul 2011
nutcracker Gold Member
09th Dec 2011
dampfbetrieben
04th Jan 2012
niksi Silver Member
06th Jan 2012

reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 21st Jan 2004Sat 06-Mar-10 08:26 PM
10434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mayo, US

I have it for two reasons. First, I agree that it's a great raw converter. Clearly superior to Photoshop/Bridge. Second, it previews images much faster than Bridge, which has to be the slowest viewer in existence. This is a big plus for me when sifting through hundreds of sports images from an event.

It's much faster than Photoshop, and doesn't manipulate the actual data the way some converters do.

I find the crop tool counterintuitive and wish I could figure it out works or they would change it.

The recovery, curves, and other tools are great. I also like the skin color tool, which can be quite helpful even with a raw image.

Overall I prefer it to Photoshop with the exception of the crop tool and the lack of a print module.

Simplify

Cormorants

Zchaia Registered since 16th Feb 2010Sun 07-Mar-10 08:03 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 1

Tbilisi, GE

I become fully happy with C1 after i imported Nikon native color camera profiles (get them from CaptureNX). Now it works perfect!

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Mon 08-Mar-10 05:52 PM
1498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 2

Rural Virginia, US

>I become fully happy with C1 after i imported Nikon native
>color camera profiles (get them from CaptureNX). Now it works
>perfect!
Great idea. Where do I find them in NX?

reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 21st Jan 2004Tue 09-Mar-10 10:55 PM
10434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 2

Mayo, US

I've found the C1 profiles to be very good, and I know that they spend a lot of time, money, and effort to make them exceedingly accurate. Can you compare the C1 versus NX profiles?

Simplify

Cormorants

timlee406 Registered since 28th Nov 2009Thu 29-Apr-10 10:53 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I become fully happy with C1 after i imported Nikon native
>color camera profiles (get them from CaptureNX). Now it works
>perfect!

I am interested in how you import the camera color profile. I did follow your ftp link, but it has expired or reached its limit. I had tried to copy NkAdobe.icm from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon\Profiles\ to C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 5\Color Profiles\DSLR\, but it didn't works. May be I am going about it the wrong way.

Thanks,
Tim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

John Robinson Registered since 19th Jun 2011Sun 19-Jun-11 05:11 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Hi, How can I get the Nikon profiles for use with capture one? I use capture one with a Nikon D3x and would love to have the native profiles. I will report back after initial testing.

Regards

John.

whallier Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2009Wed 27-Jul-11 04:10 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 2

Fresno, US

Ok. I give up how do I get the Native camera profiles (D700) into C1?

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Wed 27-Jul-11 01:15 PM
#26. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 25
Wed 27-Jul-11 07:02 PM by Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US

>Ok. I give up how do I get the Native camera profiles (D700)
>into C1?

I believe the "native" Nikon profiles mentioned in this thread were extracted from a Nikon program and put online. Other than that they appear to have been created by Nikon I have no information regarding their pedigree. I downloaded them for trial and IMO they are not an improvement over the ones provided in Capture One. The D3 and D300 profiles are comparable, but the D700 one is not nearly as good as Capture One's.

If you have the profiles they are copied into the DSLR Folder under Color Profiles in the Capture One program folder. Just make sure they don't have the same names as the C1 versions.

If you don't have them send me a PM and I'll give you a link.

nyschulte Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 08-Mar-10 03:46 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 0

LU

Yet another one.

I use it for a about one month now.

Shooting a D700 tethered to a macbook pro
Why C1?
- tethered works fast
- focus checking
- skin tone handling.

After first selection, remaining NEF's are catalogized with Lightroom and processed with CS4

Zchaia Registered since 16th Feb 2010Mon 08-Mar-10 07:31 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 3

Tbilisi, GE

I can put ready profiles on ftp server if You want.

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Mon 08-Mar-10 08:38 PM
#6. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 5

Rural Virginia, US

I would appreciate that. Thanks.

Zchaia Registered since 16th Feb 2010Tue 09-Mar-10 05:26 PM
#7. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 6

Tbilisi, GE

You can download it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/361157935/Color_Profiles.rar.html

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Tue 09-Mar-10 06:20 PM
#8. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 7

Rural Virginia, US

Got them. Very nice. Thank you.

Zchaia Registered since 16th Feb 2010Tue 09-Mar-10 07:55 PM
#9. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 8

Tbilisi, GE

You're welcome.

If You will have questions don't hesitate and ask me

guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Thu 11-Mar-10 08:57 AM
953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 9

Rugby, GB

I use the LE version 4 and I have found it too give far superior results to Lightroom. Obviously it's not a catalogue though and it's less intuitive. But for those really special shots I use Capture One.

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 12-Mar-10 06:27 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

I got a copy of Capture One 4.1 included when I got a Leica D-Lux 4. I have installed and activated it. It seems like a decent program, but I will need to play with it more to get proficient with it. A couple weeks ago, I got an e-mail from Phase One announcing version 5.1. Can anybody compare this to version 4.1?

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Zchaia Registered since 16th Feb 2010Sat 13-Mar-10 03:07 AM
#13. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 12

Tbilisi, GE

I don't remember exactly, but main difference between these versions is support of many new cameras. There is also focus tool (works like Gamut warning, shows area that is in focus) and dust removal tool in new version. There is also a lot of small performance and interface improvements. You can simply download trial version and try it within 30 days.

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006Tue 30-Mar-10 07:53 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kranj, SI

Yeah!

Finally a Capture ONE section.

I also use Phase ONE Capture ONE converter from the version 3 up and now I use release 4.8. And I like it very much. Why?

It has an unbeatable workflow. I usually shoot from couple of dozens to several hundreds of photos at a time. And with Capture ONE the editing is extremely fast and user-friendly.

I found Phase ONE profiles to be much better than Adobe Lightroom ones. I process both D200 and D700 NEF files and get fabulous results. NX2 is the only processor that produces results comparable to Capture ONE. Unfortunately it has an awfull workflow and is very slow compared to Capture ONE.

What I like specifically is the ability to extract enormous contrast range from the D700 files. Even extremely overexposed or high contrast files can be adjusted to show great detail in highlighted areas while not loosing the shadow details.

Just as an example I placed some colorfull photos into my gallery. Please note the fully saturated colors (especially red) without any signs of channel overexposure.

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

Zchaia Registered since 16th Feb 2010Sat 03-Apr-10 06:48 PM
#15. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 14

Tbilisi, GE

Adobe Lightroom uses Adobe Camera Raw profiles. They are very poor. I can put this raw converters in the following row: Capture NX2 and Capture One with Nikon original Profiles and Adobe Camera Raw (Photoshop and Lightroom). Adobe Camera Raw has worst color conversion mechanism.

Phil Bourne Registered since 05th Dec 2006Fri 21-May-10 09:40 PM
304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 15

GB

I've been using C1 for nearly 3 years now for processing concert photography images. It handles stage lighting way better than anything else out there. For everything else (weddings, portraits, fashion etc) I still use ACR, simply because of its seemless integration with PS. The new Adobe profiles (in ACR6) are much better than they were, though still not as good as C1 but are acceptable for most things - except stage lighting where it still produces horrible banding artifacts.

Music & Fashion: www.philbourne.com
Wedding & Lifestyle: www.e-motionimages.co.uk

ChristopherP Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2003Fri 18-Jun-10 07:27 AM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 0

Snohomish, US

Just joined the community after taking advantage of the offer to Expression Media Pro users of the Capture One 5 tool. I am very impressed. I also found the upgrade recently made to begin integration with the DAM tool a complete success. Amazing to finally see some capability in the software area from this firm. I made some further comments in my blog. Really appreciate the speed of implementation and quality of experience. I have much to learn about this new tool and look forward to seeing this forum develop further.
Cheers,
Christopher
My_Nikonians_Gallery
~
My_Blog
~
My_website

GPS02062 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2008Wed 23-Jun-10 02:33 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 18

Lyman, US

I also have a copy of Capture One 5 because of the recent acquisition of Expression Media Pro. I have not touched it yet but might try it now based on your comments.

I have probably the most screwed up work-flow because I like the Nikon Capture NX2 Raw developer. After conversion, I save as a TIFF and open it up in PhotoShop CS4. Finish editing there using many different add-ins. Finally publish in jpeg.

If Capture One 5 matches NX2 in Raw processing, it might well be worth moving over. Trade off will be all the lost add-ins. Is raw processing in CS5 dramatically better?

Gary

david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Sat 23-Oct-10 04:00 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 0

Skillman, US

I continue to move toward Capture One as my primary Raw converter with subsequent processing in PS CS5 (mainly because of available plug-ins). When I need accurate lens correction (especially when doing panos), I will use DxO, because they have many more profile combinations.

DJM

Link to my "Images of the Day" Blog
Link to Images in My Nikonians Gallery
Link to Images in ShepArtPhotography Gallery

chuckcars Registered since 22nd Mar 2010Sun 24-Oct-10 01:28 PM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 20

Montrose, US

When I was a Leica shooter Capture One was the software of choice. I still keep up with the updates. It is the best for batch processing, No other software comes close IMHO. Nikon NX2 has taken over for me, and I only use C1 occasionally.

Best,

Chuck

http://carstensenphoto.com

nikonus Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007Tue 29-Mar-11 12:24 PM
435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 21

San Diego, US

I'm a layer guy CS4 photoshop . I purchased the Capture one express "super saver half price deal " . The basic Raw editing is perfect , sharpness and color may beat CS4 , that being said there are glitchy parts ... the crop tool makes no sense .

I like the flow , but still haven't decoded all the micro symbol Icons . Its very clean and much less of a learning curve than adobe . I've only run capture one a few days .
Its worth buying ..... HK

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

BillCoughlin Registered since 12th Nov 2008Mon 25-Jul-11 01:07 AM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 0

Leesport, US

An old message thread, but I thought I'd post anyway.
I've been using C1 for many years, and was a beta tester back when I had my Fuji S2 (then the S3, S5, and now a Nikon D700). I've tried many other raw converters over the years - Lightroom, Photoshop, DX0, NX2, etc, however, when I want the best results, I'll use C1. I like the workflow, and they've significantly improved process times over the years. Noise reduction has also improved, and I have no hesitation shooting at 6400 with the D700 as C1 does a good job at noise reduction (There are a few situations in which I have to do noise reduction in PhotoShop, but mainly when the exposure isn't right on).
Regards,
Bill

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ... Dr Seuss

nutcracker Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2005Fri 09-Dec-11 09:00 PM
151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 24

Dublin, IE

I have been using Capture One Pro 6 since early this year. I still prefer to use Nikon Transfer to import, then do quick sorting,rating and occasionally basic crop with ViewNX.
But, for easy editing-processing of choice images, I am increasingly using C1. The speed of C1 is stunning compared to CaptureNX. It is very user-friendly. It is as good as CNX in dealing with RAW, but so much faster and more reliable; it has never frozen, unlike CNX after a relatively small number of files.
I would recommend one of the PODAS courses to anyone interested; but beware, the temptation to add PhaseOne medium format to Nikon collection seems irresistible.

dampfbetrieben Registered since 16th Jan 2009Wed 04-Jan-12 05:44 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 27
Wed 04-Jan-12 05:45 PM by dampfbetrieben

DE

I use C1 for my D700 and Oly XZ-1. I simply love the results, the adjustable GUI and the ease of use. Today Version 6.3.3 was published.
Right now, I am installing it

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006Fri 06-Jan-12 10:58 AM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Any Other Capture One users?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kranj, SI

I'd just like to share my newest experience with C1.

I recently installed 64-bit version of C1 Pro 6.3 on my new HP 8560p laptop with i5 processor and 8GB of RAM, Windows 7 64-bit.

I am using dual display option with an 1920×1200 pix external monitor connected via DisplayPort. Works like a charm. The average conversion time for pictures from D700 is about 3.5 seconds per picture.

The operation is smooth and responsive, very stable. Didn't have any crashes. C1 is still and will remain my primary RAW converter.

Regards to all C1 community,

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) PhaseOne - Capture One Pro (Public) topic #1 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.