Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #976
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dramatic difference w/ViewNX vs. Aperture, what am I do..." Previous topic | Next topic
jeremy_c Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2012Fri 20-Jul-12 01:20 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Dramatic difference w/ViewNX vs. Aperture, what am I doing wrong?"
Fri 20-Jul-12 01:21 AM by jeremy_c

Norton, US

Here is an example of a quick snap I made today the minute my D7000 was delivered (YAY!). I imported into Aperture (what I normally use) and wow was I terribly disappointed! I thought my new camera was broke!

When clicking on an image, it looked nice to begin with (preview from the camera I am assuming was displaying) but then once Aperture loaded the file fully, it turned lifeless, pale and washed out.

Thanks for any input!

OH, I am using Aperture 3.3.1.

Jeremy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Dramatic difference w/ViewNX vs. Aperture, what am ...
archivue Gold Member
20th Jul 2012
jeremy_c Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
SheriB Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
jeremy_c Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
21st Jul 2012

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Fri 20-Jul-12 11:03 AM
5464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Dramatic difference w/ViewNX vs. Aperture, what am I doing wrong?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paris, FR

Aperture (as Lightroom) don't really keep the Nikon camera's settings as Nikon's software do !
You can create presets and assign them as the default
When PPing I prefer to start with the image you show on the left which is more "neutral", but then each has it's own tastes

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

jeremy_c Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2012Fri 20-Jul-12 01:29 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Dramatic difference w/ViewNX vs. Aperture, what am I doing wrong?"
In response to Reply # 1

Norton, US

OK, if it is just adjustments to the RAW data, then I can handle that. I was thinking it may not have been reading the RAW data correctly, thus loosing information.

Thanks for the help!

Jeremy

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 20-Jul-12 11:08 AM
1614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Dramatic difference w/ViewNX vs. Aperture, what am I doing wrong?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

First, your new camera isn't broke..you are because you just spent all that cash..and the camera isn't broken either (sorry, the grammar police showed up for a sec)
I do not use anything but ViewNX2 myself, but from what I have read here, programs like Aperture do not use the Nikon settings ( I am assuming you shot RAW )So if you shot in a picture control such as Vivid or even standard some of those settings that make the picture seem more contrasty and saturated are not going to be in the RAW image when processing in many Non Nikon PP programs. If you shot jpeg, I have no idea what the problem is. My understanding is that teh settings would carry over in a jpeg.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 20-Jul-12 12:24 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Dramatic difference w/ViewNX vs. Aperture, what am I doing wrong?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Nikon doesn't share their settings for images with other companies such as Apple or Adobe. Those organizations have to reverse-engineer the settings for use in Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.

The photo on the left can be made to look as good or better than the photo on the right in Aperture.

Take the photo on the left and adjust "Definition" (for mid-tones), "Contrast" and "Sharpen", not "Edge Sharpen" You can also try a bit of "Vibrance" or "Saturation" for fun.

See what looks good to you.

Have fun,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

jeremy_c Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2012Fri 20-Jul-12 05:28 PM
#5. "RE: Dramatic difference w/ViewNX vs. Aperture, what am I doing wrong?"
In response to Reply # 0

Norton, US

Further making things different, I was playing around in the menu today and saw that the Standard Picture Control had an asterisk after it. My D7000 is used. The Sharpening, Contrast and Saturation were all user modified in my camera. Pressing the Trash button reverted them to factory defaults.

Interestingly, when I first got the camera, I did two things:

1. Reset Shooting Menu
2. Reset Custom Settings

Neither of these reverted the Picture Controls back to their factor default. I was expecting that from the above two actions that everything would have been reset to factory defaults, but I guess it isn't so.

Oh well, I'm learning!

Thanks again everyone,

Jeremy

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 21-Jul-12 12:10 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Dramatic difference w/ViewNX vs. Aperture, what am I doing wrong?"
In response to Reply # 5

Port Charlotte, US

To totally reset the camera to default, press and hold both the "Zoom In" button on the back and the "Exposure Compensation" button on the top-right for more than two seconds. They are marked with green dots.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #976 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.