nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Bob32

Chico, US
5085 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007
Tue 17-Jul-12 10:21 PM

For the past five years I have been using iPhoto to store and organize my thousands of digital images and Photoshop Elements (currently PSE 6 for Mac) exclusively as an external editor for editing my photos. When I bought my new 27” iMac last January I planned to acquire Aperture 3. I even bought two instruction books on Aperture 3. However, I now have serious reservations about making the move to Aperture 3. It seems apparent that Adobe’s Lightroom is winning the battle with Aperture with doubts about whether Aperture will ever catch up. Even Apple-certified trainer Scott Bourne who has been teaching Aperture classes from the beginning days of Aperture is threatening to abandon Aperture for Lightroom, and he has 480,000 images he’ll have to move! He states that with Lightroom 4.0 Adobe has released a RAW converter that does a much better job of converting files than does the current converter from Aperture. I shoot RAW only, so in my estimation that’s a big plus for Lightroom. Unfortunately, I haven’t found an uncomplicated way of moving images out of iPhoto into Lightroom. If there were I would likely have gone with Lightroom by now. If anybody knows of a simple way to move images from iPhoto to Lightroom please let me know!

For the moment, rather than trying to master the Aperture 3 workflow to obtain editing results that may be no better than what I am currently producing, I’m sticking with iPhoto + PSE 6 for Mac while waiting to see if Apple makes a serious attempt with Aperture to match the performance of Lightroom. In the meantime I may use the $79 I was going to use to purchase Aperture to instead upgrade to Adobe’s Photoshop Elements 10.

Comments on this subject are welcome.

Bob

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Not moving to Aperture 3 as expected

G