Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #963
View in linear mode

Subject: "File size, what happened" Previous topic | Next topic
Jpbogey Registered since 11th Jun 2012Sun 15-Jul-12 03:37 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"File size, what happened"

US

Excited to edit first batch from new D7000 in iPhoto. File sizes are 16+mb but after tweaking and playing around with files they are now 2 or 3mb files. What happened?
Did I do something wrong?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 16-Jul-12 01:17 PM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: File size, what happened"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Welcome to the Nikonians.

If you export a RAW/NEF file as a JPEG file, the size will be reduced to 2 - 4MB because of the compression. If you export as TIFF, the file size will remain large because it's not a lossy compression like a JPEG.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Jpbogey Registered since 11th Jun 2012Wed 18-Jul-12 01:37 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: File size, what happened"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Lucky

What I don't understand is that I did not Export the photo. I only noticed the information of file size in one of the iPhoto windows after I made a few tweaks.
If I emailed the photo then I would assume the compression but I only changed an exposure???

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 19-Jul-12 12:28 PM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: File size, what happened"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

Sorry, I assumed you were importing into Aperture rather than iPhoto. Is your camera supported by iPhoto to import RAW (NEF) files? If not, you may be importing and automatically converting them to JPEG somehow.

You may also be looking at the JPEG thumbnail of the photo that Aperture uses for display, although those files are even smaller in size than you described.

Go to the Apple website and check to see that your camera model is supported by iPhoto. Then check that your camera and import settings are for NEF files.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #963 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.