nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #934
View in linear mode

Subject: "New MacBook Pro" Previous topic | Next topic
pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Wed 13-Jun-12 05:54 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New MacBook Pro"

Jupiter, US

I do really all of my post processing on a recent vintage iMac and am very happy with the hardware. My problem is that I spend several months a year in another locale and have, up to now, moved the 27" iMac in its box with me. My old MacBook Pro is too "over the hill" in power and display to be used in lieu of the iMac. As such, I was very excited to see the new MacBook Pro with the Retina screen as a possible replacement.

While everything about the performance of the hardware appears great, several things are giving me pause. First, the price.... all in it would be over $3k! That seems like an astounding price for a laptop, though I understand with the display and the expensive SSD, the components are expensive. Additionally today, I saw that the machine is not upgradable and the battery is even glued in! For me, the cost would be easier to justify if I could feel that the machine would last 4-5 years. But with the battery not replaceable, I'm not sure it could.

Another option I have is to consider a non Retina version with conventional storage. The price would be a lot less and the machine upgradable but, of course, it wouldn't have that display and the raw speed of an all solid state machine.

Thanks for any thoughts that you might have!

Regards,

Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New MacBook Pro
kentak Silver Member
14th Jun 2012
pentwater Silver Member
14th Jun 2012
psf914
04th Jul 2012
pentwater Silver Member
04th Jul 2012
psf914
05th Jul 2012
pentwater Silver Member
05th Jul 2012
ecossephoto
04th Jul 2012
psf914
05th Jul 2012
ecossephoto
30th Jul 2012
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
30th Jul 2012
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
30th Jul 2012
pentwater Silver Member
31st Jul 2012

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Thu 14-Jun-12 03:16 AM
924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Bill,

As juicy as the new high end MBP is, don't you prefer the big display area of your 27" iMac for viewing and editing images? I know I much prefer working even on my 21.5" iMac over my 13" MBP. Anyway, I agree that the new machine is pricey for a laptop, but I'm sure they'll sell a bunch.

BTW, MacRumors.com is reporting that new iMacs may be coming relatively soon after all.

Kent

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Thu 14-Jun-12 03:21 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 1

Jupiter, US

I love my iMac Kent! It's just too big when I go on the road. I'll still use my iMac most of the year but need a laptop when I'm not home 3-4 months per year.

Cheers!

Bill

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 04-Jul-12 01:44 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

Hi Bill

Being a fellow Michigander (5th generation from Traverse City) and spending all of my time on the road for work ( haven't been in my house in Florida for nearly 4 years now) I thought I'd offer this little comfort. I just bought the Mac Book Pro 15 Retina with upgraded everything... 2.7 ghz processor, 16gb Ram 512gb hard drive (don't need the larger because I dump all my files onto two Western Digital 2TB portable hard drives.) I also own a Mac Book Pro 17" which I've been using for a few years and expect to use for many more to come. Despite the issues you mentioned and all are the same I had to sort thru with the additional problem of.... can the current pp software look ok on the incredible Retina display... I own the D800E and needed something to handle the large files with more speed. I will be a guinea pig here and let you know how it handles and looks. I don't believe this is a 2 year investment...I have a feeling there may be a catch up curve with software manufacturers but technology seems to catch up quickly these days and I'm willing to work thru the issues that may arise. I also spent 99.00 on one to one support and will be spending some time with the Mac kids at the Apple store who can help with any issues that might pop up over the coming months. So.. maybe hold onto to your money for now..give me a couple weeks to see how this baby works out and I'll let you know.
Peter

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Wed 04-Jul-12 03:04 AM
#4. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 3

Jupiter, US

Hello Peter,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the new mac. After much thought, I decided to buy one of the remaining late '11 17" MBPs before they are all gone. I like the big screen size and the performance is much better than my 3 year old MBP though, obviously, not up to the speed of the imac. I upgraded the memory to 16gb and have a 750gb drive. This will certainly buy me 2-4 years before I'll need to think about a replacement. I am envious of the quality of the display but am happy with the model I bought (probably as long as I don't have a MBP with a retina display side by side!)

I am also thinking about a D800/e. I hope to borrow or rent a copy to play with for a day or so before committing and see how my images compare to my D700. Theoretically, it seems that I might be abe to get away with some cropping that I can't do now. I'm not sure that for normal landscapes, I gain that much. How have you found working with the camera? What are your pros and cons?

Thanks for your post!

Best,

Bill

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 05-Jul-12 12:50 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 4

Traverse City, US

Hey Bill

I didn't know you could get a Mac Book Pro 17" with 16gb of ram..that's what I was told, max was 8gb... Had I known that I would have gone with the older model 17" instead of the Retina 15". That said, I love Mac and this one will do just fine....definately handle the files I'm working with. Should have it in about a week so I'll report back on this forum once I have the software installed and I've worked on a couple files. Enjoy that Mac...

As far at the 800E goes.. as everyone else has posted...incredible detail. First thing I found I didn't like was the Vivid setting in Picture Control is harsh...too much contrast..so I shoot in neutral setting now and it's just fine. Plus I needed a full frame camera for landscapes ( I still have a D300 and D300S for wildlife and everything else). They also re arranged the buttons on the body which I don't like..and don't understand. But that's minor. I've been pretty conservative shooting with it for now because of the file size and didn't want to load up the Mac which is only 4gb memory..so pretty slow with these. When the new Mac gets here I'll get it out and shoot more...but from what I've seen..it was a good investment for me.

cheers
Peter

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Thu 05-Jul-12 02:27 PM
#8. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 6

Jupiter, US

Hi Peter,

There's a good website called macsales.com that is a great reference source for Mac upgrades that you can do yourself. (Though that said, with the direction Apple seems to be going with the effective sealing of their machines like the Retina MBP, their days may be numbered!). I have upgraded 2 MBPs and 2 iMacs with both memory and disk. As part of their service, they will sell you inexpensive tool kits and provide free excellent online videos to walk you through various upgrades for each specific model of machine. Interestingly, they run tests to determine what the maximum addressable memory is for each machine. In many cases Apple's limit is low. I've successfully increased the memory above the Apple spec twice.

Thanks again for your note. I'll be interested to hear about both your new "toys!"

Cheers,

Bill

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Wed 04-Jul-12 06:09 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

Thanks for volunteering to be the Guinea pig Peter!

Keep us informed!

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 05-Jul-12 12:51 PM
#7. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 5

Traverse City, US

Will do David

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Mon 30-Jul-12 12:27 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 7

UK

>Will do David

Bump.

Anything to report?

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 30-Jul-12 03:17 PM
4818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

I am similarly "bedeviled" about the price. I want flexibility, portability, and ugradeability for travel. Plus, I truly think the software costs to add what you need drives the cost even higher then 3K. I use a 27" iMac and an old MS HP Laptop when I travel. I have been considering the MacBook to replace the laptop but the cost is disconcerting given the issues you raised and the added software cost. Plus, I would need to add the Mac Version of MS Office, since I really use Word, Excel, and Outlook extensively and have not liked the corresponding Apple products or open source products.

Perhaps I will just need to settle for a lessor version of Apple MacBook product or get a good Dell or other MS platform product.

I welcome any thoughts about what various Apple options others have considered.

John

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Mon 30-Jul-12 11:53 PM
5076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Bill: The D800e is simply wonderful. And the croppability is, of course, very nice. Left focus sensor problem excepted, I have no issues with the camera, its operation, moving the larger files, or the behavior of my darkroom software.

John: if the software on your 27" iMac is typical darkroom apps, you can almost certainly load the same software onto an MacBook Pro. Almost every software vendor allows for two simultaneous loads per serial number. All of my software is double-loaded, and that includes every Adobe app made plus some other stuff.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Tue 31-Jul-12 10:46 PM
#12. "RE: New MacBook Pro"
In response to Reply # 11

Jupiter, US

Thanks Jon. I'm heading to Manhattan soon and hope to stop by B&H to see the camera. The sensor focus issue has caused me to slow the process a bit until the problem is cleared.

Cheers,

Bill

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #934 Previous topic | Next topic