Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
pentwater

Jupiter, US
167 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003
Wed 13-Jun-12 05:54 PM

I do really all of my post processing on a recent vintage iMac and am very happy with the hardware. My problem is that I spend several months a year in another locale and have, up to now, moved the 27" iMac in its box with me. My old MacBook Pro is too "over the hill" in power and display to be used in lieu of the iMac. As such, I was very excited to see the new MacBook Pro with the Retina screen as a possible replacement.

While everything about the performance of the hardware appears great, several things are giving me pause. First, the price.... all in it would be over $3k! That seems like an astounding price for a laptop, though I understand with the display and the expensive SSD, the components are expensive. Additionally today, I saw that the machine is not upgradable and the battery is even glued in! For me, the cost would be easier to justify if I could feel that the machine would last 4-5 years. But with the battery not replaceable, I'm not sure it could.

Another option I have is to consider a non Retina version with conventional storage. The price would be a lot less and the machine upgradable but, of course, it wouldn't have that display and the raw speed of an all solid state machine.

Thanks for any thoughts that you might have!

Regards,

Bill

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New MacBook Pro