nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Apple Post-Processing (Public) topic #926
View in linear mode

Subject: "Significant Aperture 3 update now available" Previous topic | Next topic
kentak Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010 Tue 12-Jun-12 01:28 AM
933 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
Tue 12-Jun-12 03:03 AM by kentak

More than just a tweak.

iPhoto update also.

Run Software Update from the Apple menu to see all updates.

The new version is 3.3.

Kent

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available Hotswimmer Silver Member
12th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available Squirri Silver Member
12th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available Howker
12th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available kentak Silver Member
14th Jun 2012
     Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available luckyphoto Gold Member
14th Jun 2012
     Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available archivue Gold Member
14th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available Howker
15th Jun 2012
     Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available kentak Silver Member
15th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available paul_7e Silver Member
17th Jul 2012
Reply message RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available archivue Gold Member
17th Jul 2012

Hotswimmer Silver Member  Annapolis, US  Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008 Tue 12-Jun-12 01:58 AM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 12-Jun-12 01:59 AM by Hotswimmer

To save those of you who bought Aperture for $79 at the App Store from doing a 600MB download twice - you apparently have to do your update through the App Store as well, at least I did. I downloaded an update through my computer's Apple menu and tried to install it before I found that out...

ETA: That update is Version 3.2.4, by the way...

Squirri Silver Member  Nottingham, UK  Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2012 Tue 12-Jun-12 08:58 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 0

Very disappointed that this was just a point update and not the much anticipated Version 4. I personally don't care if it is now sharing libraries with iPhoto.
Maybe we will get V4 when ML ships next month.

Howker   Redmond, US  Registered since 21st Jul 2010 Tue 12-Jun-12 09:47 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 2

This a major update with many changes, not all for the better IMO

I agree sharing libraries with iPhoto does nothing for me except, as I said on another posting, fill me with foreboding that as they become more integrated we will eventually only have one program.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kentak Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010 Thu 14-Jun-12 02:29 AM
933 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 3

One blogger I read has downplayed the 3.3 vs 4.0 version significance. It's a significant update without the need to pay for updating to a new 4.0 version--which still might be in the not-too-distant future.

The ability to share libraries provides an easy upgrade path for those wanting to move to Aperture from iPhoto, went the reasoning. I'm not really seeing the need to fear Aperture is going to become iPhotofied.

Kent

luckyphoto Gold Member  Port Charlotte, US  Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010 Thu 14-Jun-12 03:10 PM
898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 4

I'm thinking they'll wait until the new Mountain Lion OS is released before the next major revision of Aperture. This is probably the last update for Aperture 3 users who won't be moving on to Mountain Lion.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

archivue Gold Member  Paris, FR  Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002 Thu 14-Jun-12 10:26 PM
5525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 4

> I'm not really seeing the need to fear Aperture is
>going to become iPhotofied.

I wouldn't be so sure... I feel I've lost fine tuning with the "new" light/shadow tool ! Before you had the choice between the "simple" way and the more "complex" way (allowing it to spread on different areas vs relative contrast and black and white point levels)... Now the relative contrast is just added without the other cursors...

Oh well... We'll see soon enough !

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

Howker   Redmond, US  Registered since 21st Jul 2010 Fri 15-Jun-12 03:59 AM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 2

>Very disappointed that this was just a point update and not
>the much anticipated Version 4. I personally don't care if it
>is now sharing libraries with iPhoto.
>Maybe we will get V4 when ML ships next month.
>
Frankly who cares what the version number is but be careful what you wish for. A new version I think legally needs to be 'sold' whereas an update can be free.
Let the legal eagles comment but pretty sure a new version has to be 'sold'

kentak Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010 Fri 15-Jun-12 02:26 PM
#8. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 7

That is my understanding as well.

Kent

paul_7e Silver Member  Farmington, US  Charter Member Tue 17-Jul-12 01:07 PM
306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 0

Ii looked at this thread in June and ran software update from the Apple menu and the version I got was 3.2.4. In a thread posted today, a Nikonian talks about version 3.3, so I ran software update again and the only update was for RAW conversion for 2 cameras I don't have. What is the latest version of Aperture? I'm running MAX OS X 10.6.8. Thanks.

Paul

archivue Gold Member  Paris, FR  Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002 Tue 17-Jul-12 08:55 PM
5525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Significant Aperture 3 update now available"
In response to Reply # 9

I believe the 3.3 version is for Lion (aka X.7.XX) !

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Apple Post-Processing (Public) topic #926 Previous topic | Next topic