Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #70
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture - RAW plus JPEG - help!" Previous topic | Next topic
ahubba Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Apr 2009Wed 12-May-10 12:59 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture - RAW plus JPEG - help!"

North Kingstown, US

I shoot in RAW plus JPEG. After downloading, I Zip up and email the small jpeg's to my wife for our website. I delete all the RAW files I dont want - or dont want to PP - to save disk space. Then I just keep the RAW files of the real 'keepers' plus all jpegs except the really bad ones. I just got aperture and on import it wants to make one or the other JPEG/RAW - the 'master'. I dont understand how to delete just the RAW files. One thread I saw said to just keep everything in RAW - but that seems like a big waste of disk space. I've thought of staying with my sorting and deleting in ViewNX first - but that seems a very clumsy workflow. Help!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DiploStrat Registered since 06th Dec 2006Wed 12-May-10 10:03 PM
473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture - RAW plus JPEG - help!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 13-May-10 09:44 AM by DiploStrat

Bangui, CF

Aperture 3 revamped the way it handles importing RAW+JPEG pairs. The manual is your friend. It will explain the essential concept of "Master" and "Version" and how to handle and delete either or both. I don't use this feature, but this link may help: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2429333&tstart=0

But let me throw out some ideas for your consideration:

-- With Aperture (and Lightroom) you invest in RAW and expense JPEG. It is not keeping the RAW that wastes your disk space, but rather keeping low quality JPEG.

-- You can produce as many JPEGS as you need, at whatever resolution you need, whenever you need, through the export process. Then delete them; you can always create more.

-- Your RAW masters will be good today and may be better tomorrow with new RAW developer software, editing tools, etc. Once you make a JPEG, it is done.

-- It is easy to make presets that mimic the in camera processing of JPEGS; a little bit of saturation/sharpening/etc. These can be applied during the import process so that the first time you look at the RAW is is ready for use. (This is essentially what Capture NX does.) With the difference that you can always undo/redo with 12+ bits of data, as opposed to a compressed 8 bits. This means that there really is very little speed advantage left to shooting JPEG at all.

The images you want to delete are the losers - the out of focus, bad composition, etc.

Only you can determine the best workflow, but disk space is cheap and memories are priceless.

For your consideration with best wishes!

--
DiploStrat

Visit my gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #70 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.