Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #2
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Picture Control Presets?" Previous topic | Next topic
Joseph Bautsch Registered since 15th Oct 2009Tue 09-Mar-10 03:15 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Picture Control Presets?"

Marietta, US

Mac Create is offering a group of Nikon Picture Control presets for Aperture 3. They want $3.99 for the set. But I note in the comments that the presets may not be working as expected. Does anyone have any experience with this set, good or bad? I don't want to spend the money if they have little or no value.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Picture Control Presets?
DiploStrat
10th Mar 2010
Omen
10th Mar 2010
DiploStrat
10th Mar 2010
Omen
11th Mar 2010
ksignorini Silver Member
20th May 2011
thomasrboyd
11th Mar 2010
Joseph Bautsch
12th Mar 2010

DiploStrat Registered since 06th Dec 2006Wed 10-Mar-10 01:00 PM
473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Picture Control Presets?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bangui, CF

There are bloody battles about any third party RAW developer vs. CNX and many Nikon shooters just love the "Nikon Look."

I tend to prefer a more neutral approach, so I haven't been agonizing a lot about how to integrate CNX with AP or LR or whatever.

That said, Rob Boyer (http://photo.rwboyer.com/) has put a LOT of work into making presets that make your AP pictures look a lot more like CNX - especially in color, as opposed to simply boosting the contrast, etc.

I like his "Landscape" preset and am using more and more, but more to the point, you can study his presets yourself and develop your own.

--
DiploStrat

Visit my gallery.

Omen Registered since 16th Nov 2002Wed 10-Mar-10 02:51 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Picture Control Presets?"
In response to Reply # 1

Wilmington, US

Thanks for the link DiploStrat. I've been contemplating making the switch from Lightroom 2 to Aperture 3. Unfortunately for my finances, I don't have a previous license for Aperture (I do for Lightroom), so making the switch would cost me double the amount of the (estimated) Lightroom 2-to-3 upgrade. Rob Boyer's site (and the A3 demo I downloaded) will give me much more information so I can make an informed decision.

Michael

------------------------

Nikon D300/MB-D10/SB-800
Nikkors: 50mm f/1.4D AF; 105mm f/2.8G Micro IF-ED AF-S VR; 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR; 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR II; 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

DiploStrat Registered since 06th Dec 2006Wed 10-Mar-10 03:30 PM
473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Picture Control Presets?"
In response to Reply # 2

Bangui, CF

I am a rabid Aperture phanboi and think that Aperture is the better program. (And I'll even tell you why, if you ask.) That said, I wouldn't switch.

Unless the lack of soft proofing, full screen editing, the annoying modular workflow, or some similar feature REALLY matters to you, it is not worth the effort to learn a new program - you would be better off simply learning more about Lightroom. Lightroom 3 will be better than Lightroom 2 and I really doubt that anyone looking at your images will be able to tell whether you used Aperture, Lightroom, or Photoshop.

All the best!

--
DiploStrat

Visit my gallery.

Omen Registered since 16th Nov 2002Thu 11-Mar-10 09:02 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon Picture Control Presets?"
In response to Reply # 3

Wilmington, US

Hi DiploStrat,

Sometimes I consider changing just for the sake of change. I like learning new things, so this is not (usually) a problem for me. I've read about the proposed updates to Lightroom 3, but I didn't download the beta, preferring to wait until the full program's ready for release. I'm using this time to evaluate the competition

In my brief time with the Aperture 3 demo, I do like its workflow better than Lightroom 2 (and its OOB rendering of my D300 NEFs), but I'm not sure if that alone is enough for me to make the switch. I still have time on the A3 demo, so I'll keep trying it out. Luckily, I have the full suite of Nik plug-ins, so in that case it doesn't matter whether I'm using Lightroom, Aperture, or Photoshop. At least I covered all my bases when I purchased the full Nik set.

Thanks for your comments; I agree. In fact, I've learned much about Lightroom during my investigations of Aperture 3. It's funny how those things work out

Michael

------------------------

Nikon D300/MB-D10/SB-800
Nikkors: 50mm f/1.4D AF; 105mm f/2.8G Micro IF-ED AF-S VR; 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR; 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR II; 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

ksignorini Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2008Fri 20-May-11 09:49 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon Picture Control Presets?"
In response to Reply # 1

Edmonton, CA

I've looked all through Rob Boyer's site and I can't seem to find his presets for download!

DiploStrat - I would love to try the ones you suggested, especially if Rob has worked so hard on them. Do you think you could link to them directly and not just the top of his site?

Thanks!

Kent
Main Gear:
Nikon D300, Nikon D5100, Nikon D70s, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Nikon 12-24mm f/4, Nikon AF-Micro 60mm f/2.8D, Nikon 50mm f/1.8D, Nikon MB-D10 Grip, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon P7000 (right-hand-coat pocket)
Digital Workflow:
27" iMac i7, Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS5, Aperture 3

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Thu 11-Mar-10 03:03 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon Picture Control Presets?"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, OR, US

The tilt shift and graduated density filters started having issues with the 3.0.1 update, so they stopped selling them till the issue is resolved with an Aperture udpate, but the Nikno Picutre Contro presets work fine.

You can buy them here: http://shop.maccreate.com/

Or, share your and download others for free (with a free registration) here:
http://community.maccreate.com/files/

Joseph Bautsch Registered since 15th Oct 2009Fri 12-Mar-10 12:18 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon Picture Control Presets?"
In response to Reply # 4

Marietta, US

DiploStrat, Thomas - Thanks for your input regarding the picture control presets and presets in general. I do a lot of Quilt photography both for publication and attaching to entry forms for Quilt shows. The people who determine if a Quilt is accepted as an entry to a show do so from these photos. First impressions in this case count big time. These photos, both for publication and Quilt show entry forms, really have to pop in sharpness, contrast and "vivid" colors that match the colors in the Quilt. If the picture control presets really work then they could be of help as a backup to what I may have missed in camera. I'll give them a try and see what they can do.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #2 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.