Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #153
View in linear mode

Subject: "iPhoto Book recovery question" Previous topic | Next topic
sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Tue 12-Oct-10 01:51 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"iPhoto Book recovery question"

Saddle river, US

I have a bit of a sticky situation, and I wonder if anyone has a good solution.

The background is that I created a photo book using iPhoto last fall (2009) on my MacBook. Which I am very happy with and would like to reprint. Unfortunately (for the purpose of this conversation), I migrated to Lightroom this past spring (2010) and, as part of that, rebuilt all of my photo databases and folder structure. To save space, I deleted the old, disorganized iPhoto library (after making a backup, of course).

When I restore the iPhoto library backup onto an external drive (actually on an iMac), I can find the photo book file, and I can find all of the images in the book. But when I open the photo book all of the images show up as blank spaces with a question mark - iPhoto can't find the image files. My assumption is that the photo book object embeds the absolute image file name - disk name/user/Pictures/iPhoto/imagename, etc. - and that no longer exists. I'm on a different Mac, with a different hard drive name, different user name, etc. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Is there any way to patch the photo book object so it knows where the images are? Or do I have to essentially rebuild/recreate the book?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #153 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.