Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #148
View in linear mode

Subject: "Export/Import" Previous topic | Next topic
operator98 Gold Member Charter MemberTue 05-Oct-10 06:44 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Export/Import"

Red Wing, US

I'm at an impasse with my dilemma and need some advice and/or guidance in the least painful manner. Recently I was in Colorado on vacation and uploaded my D200 images to Aperture on my MacBook with the intention later of exporting said images to Aperture on my iMac where the larger and better viewing surface is ideal for any post-processing I might wish to do. I was told yesterday at an Apple store that I could accomplish this export/import procedure over my wireless ( Airport Extreme ) network. However I have failed to figure out how to do this and am coming to the realization that the only way is via an external storage device either a hard drive or a flash drive. Any suggestions? ( I'm pretty much a non-techy and have only had the D200 since March - if that helps or influences an answer ).

Laura

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Export/Import
rkwiatek
06th Oct 2010
jaimielan
13th Oct 2010
Murseeker
06th Jan 2011
JillyH Silver Member
26th Jan 2011
Murseeker
26th Jan 2011
JillyH Silver Member
27th Jan 2011
Murseeker
29th Jan 2011
JillyH Silver Member
29th Jan 2011

rkwiatek Registered since 18th Jun 2010Wed 06-Oct-10 02:25 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Export/Import"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Laura,

It's easy in iPhoto, but more difficult in A3 and slow over wireless. Honestly, the easiest and fastest way is to use a high capacity thumb drive. They're pretty inexpensive and works very quickly.

Ray

jaimielan Registered since 25th Oct 2007Wed 13-Oct-10 04:12 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Export/Import"
In response to Reply # 1

Russellville, US

Haven't done it in a long time but you can also get a firewire-firewire cable, start up your macbook holding down the T key and that starts it in target disk mode. Your macbook then becomes an external drive.

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 10:32 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Export/Import"
In response to Reply # 0

Breitenbach, CH

Hi,
sorry for being late on your question, I just found it by accident. My question back to you is: why do you want to export the pictures from on device and import it into the other? What I do is to synchronize the Aperture library between my iMac and the MacBook. This works fine since a long time. It allows me to import or edit pictures on either device keep both devices up to date. In addition I have always an additional backup copy of my whole library (in addition to the backup to an external hard drive).
regards
Andy

JillyH Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2006Wed 26-Jan-11 10:26 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Export/Import"
In response to Reply # 3

Harrisville, US

I was just combing through the forums while trying to make a decision about buying Aperture 3 now that it is on sale at a great price.

I haven't got it yet, but Andy, your comment about synchronizing the Aperture library between an iMac and a MacBook really caught my eye. I could really benefit from that being possible!! But I'm wondering how you do that? Is it through a Mac Airport setup or is it using an online service like DropBox? Or does Aperture have an online place for your library?

Thanks,
Jilly H

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Wed 26-Jan-11 04:27 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Export/Import"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 26-Jan-11 04:29 PM by Murseeker

Breitenbach, CH

The synchronization happens directly between two Macs. The first prerequisite is that they are connected to a network. The most simple case is if you have them connected to your network at home (with cables or wireless). The second prerequisite is a synchronization software. There are many different ones. I use ChronoSync which is simple to use, but also quite powerful if you need specific options.
Basically you could also synchronize into the cloud (e.g. Dropbox) but this depends also a bit on the size of the Aperture library. Mine is about 160Gb which is to much for my Dropbox account.
I'm at the moment away from home. If you are still interested in this topic I could send you next week more details about synchronizing Aperture on 2 Macs.
Andy

JillyH Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2006Thu 27-Jan-11 01:28 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Export/Import"
In response to Reply # 5

Harrisville, US

I will take a look at ChronoSync because my DropBox account won't handle my photo library either. My Macs are connected wirelessly into a home network.
I would appreciate any tips you can offer about synchronizing Aperture on two Macs and plan to learn as much about Aperture as I can in the next few days.
Thanks!
Jill

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Sat 29-Jan-11 02:30 AM
#7. "RE: Export/Import"
In response to Reply # 6

Breitenbach, CH

Jill, accidentally I found out that the guys from Eicon already wrote a short tutorial on how to sync Aperture (or iPhoto). This might be of help for you: http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_tips12.html
Andy

JillyH Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2006Sat 29-Jan-11 07:42 PM
#8. "RE: Export/Import"
In response to Reply # 7

Harrisville, US

Thanks, Andy. I will check that out. It looks to be just what I need.

Jill

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #148 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.